GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 GTI or 2018 WRX Pros and Cons Please

cfalenski

Looking at either a 2018 WRX or 2018 GTI
Looking to buy in December January.
Will not be driven daily but a family car.
I drive a company truck 5 to 7 days a week.
I plan on a catback with in the first week of purchase, don't care about the power gain or not gain, I want some noise.
I would like to tune stage 1 Cobb AP until I get a Stage 2 or 3 Clutch. Then Stage 2 tune one day one year.

I have been reading up on both cars. I just mainly care about how well the cars will last and not blowing it up.

I will not be beating on the car, but I will open it up every now and then.

GTI concerns, IS20 turbo, and warranty issues if I tune it.

Thurnis

Ready to race!
Thats quite a long time from now. Just wait on 2019 car news. Don't narrow yourself to what is on the market now. Things are shifting rapidly.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
WRX is a great vehicle. But i went with GTI for the following reasons:
- DSG. This is my first ever automatic vehicle and DSG is one of the main reason why i zeroed a GTI.
- GTIs interior is far better than WRX.
- Hatch option.

MK7 platform doesnt have any major issues and i would prefer a 2018 especially with People's warranty. And you will be voiding your warranty if you tune the vehicle. This thread will give you a good picture about it. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7492. Many people go JB1 or JB4 route to gain more power without modifying the ECU.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Why i chose the GTI:

Interior is WAY better
Engine is smoother and more refined
Responds much better to mods
Engine is more durable - FA20s have weak rods, piston issues, etc
Doesn't look boy-racer
DSG trans
Turbo issues are rare in later models...they do occasionally happen though

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Did this back in 2016. Would make exact same choice 2018. GTI. By a mile...

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
If you just want noise, get a Civic and a fart can. There aren't a lot of WRX fans here, so you should get a GTI unless you live in the land of snow.

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
I test drove both and upon getting in the WRX I immediately decided that I wouldn’t be getting one.

The wrx just felt cheap and rough compared to a GTI.

I bought my 2018 GTI about 2 months ago and have zero regrets. I do agree that this car is way too quiet though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Subaru is ugly.

cfalenski

Snow maybe 5 days a year, and the car will not be driven in it. I am nervous about tuning and losing warranty though. I have read more turbo failure issues about GTI then engine issues with the WRX after tuning. If i go GTI 6MT I would like to go cobb or cts cbe, a drop in filter, a turbo intake hose, and a stage 1 cobb tune until i can get a clutch. I have never worked on a FWD car or RWD. So i don't know how hard a clutch swap in the garage on floor jacks would be. Also if i go stage 1 mild tune how much risk of turbo failure on a 2018 GTI. I drive every day for my job so i need my license, so i don't plan on racing anyone, but i will open it up on the highway or when no one else is around from time to time.

I know this is a VW forum, but the GTI and WRX get compared a lot which is why i am looking for everyone's pro's and con's.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I drove a friends 2016 WRX. I hated the manual gearbox. The throws were long and numb. The interior was very subpar compared to a GTI, and the CVT is a disgrace.

rclark82

Hey there, I am in almost completely the same position . I drove the 2018 WRX RA with short shifter etc... Although it was a large improvement on clutch and shifter feel from the previous I found it held back sometimes. It might have been from my high expectations; but mostly I think it was because the car was just heavier.

I would suggest driving both and decide which type of driving is priority. For me I don't get to do as much really high speed, so I'm ok with gti.

If you just want a loud car though, get a used BRZ, jk

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I have the current generation STI. If I was asked which car I would keep between my STI or GTI Autobahn (DSG), I would have to say my STI.

But if it was between my STI and Golf-R.. not sure. They are completely different dynamic cars and this is why I have kept them. If I have a taste for super fun driving, I would take the STI. If I want relaxed yet fast fun driving, I would take the Golf-R. If I am just going to work or going shopping with my wife with fun driving, I would take the GTI. They all serve a different purpose.

Sorry, I might have confused you more..