GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Show Us Your Intake!

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Just to make sure let me ask, are you pushing the tube into the box a far as you can go ? Then pull it as necessary? This can actually make a difference when trying to seat the box in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zx2man

Ready to race!
^^^^ yep you need to push that intake tube through the box enough so you can seat it in there.

Aphex13

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm the one who posted about not being able to fit my JB4 behind my S&B intake. I think I'm going to remove and reinstall it over the weekend to see if I can get it to sit differently, so that I have enough room to put my JB4 behind it. Thanks "BxGTI".

I'll take pictures of the battery retainer bracket for "Frenchyfromfl" while I have it off. If I recall, there's different slots for different size batteries, but I'm not 100% on that. Either way, I took a picture of the top of my battery so that maybe you could compare markings on it, and tell if they're the same size. Mine is a "Enertec 5K0 915 105 D".

Aphex13

Passed Driver's Ed
I see the plexi-glass top of the S&B intake getting really scratched up and translucent looking after just a few engine bay washes.

I thought the same thing, so I covered mine with some PPF. :)
I'm thinking about re-doing it with some cheap Chinese tail light film though.

Edit:
Here it is with some tinted vinyl. I wasn't sure how it would look, but I think it came out pretty well. I'll probably re-do it with some better vinyl later, but it works for now. The engraved logo is on the inside of the cover, so film lays smooth as glass.

Last edited:

Frenchyfromfl

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R DSG
Just to make sure let me ask, are you pushing the tube into the box a far as you can go ? Then pull it as necessary? This can actually make a difference when trying to seat the box in place.

No that was really not the issue. Whether I move the battery cable out of the way or not, the top back of the intake box leans against the battery and holes at the bottom won’t align at all with battery tray prongs.

I even tried to remove the battery and its tray completely because I wanted to see if there was a part number on the tray since I had to order a new one.
The battery can’t be moved more towards the back, so I gave up because there was no way it would fit at all. This box I have is just too big. I hope they can send me a new one.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
No that was really not the issue. Whether I move the battery cable out of the way or not, the top back of the intake box leans against the battery and holes at the bottom won’t align at all with battery tray prongs.

I even tried to remove the battery and its tray completely because I wanted to see if there was a part number on the tray since I had to order a new one.

The battery can’t be moved more towards the back, so I gave up because there was no way it would fit at all. This box I have is just too big. I hope they can send me a new one.

I just noticed that you have a facelift MK7.5 maybe VW changed something either the battery tray or the battery size.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
I just noticed that you have a facelift MK7.5 maybe VW changed something either the battery tray or the battery size.

I wonder if S&B beta tested these or just used one model to design from. Mine showed up today so I'll update with my experience tonight when I install.

Frenchyfromfl

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R DSG
Per S&B engineer, might be an issue with 2018 models with start/stop function and the type of battery used by VW... waiting to hear back for a solution ��

Frenchyfromfl

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R DSG
Per S&B engineer, might be an issue with 2018 models with start/stop function and the type of battery used by VW... waiting to hear back for a solution ��

update.. no update ...still waiting to hear back from S&B on how to proceed next... if they have a solution for me or if i need to return it for a refund.

If this is a design issue because some of the 2018 GTIs use a different style battery, i dont think they will be able to help me.
In the installation guide or even on their website, ii clearely states this intake can fit 2018 models.

I measured my battery, it is about 11 inch long.

Could any of you guys who had no issue installing it check the length of your battery?

I would like to see if this is really the issue and not what I thought was a manufacturing problem.

Thanks!

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Thats a solid 2" longer on the lower battery picture.

If the newer models have that large of a battery S&B will have to come up with a redesign for new models.

A solution is a smaller battery, the mounts have adjustment but thats an expensive fix. Additionally I would be curious why VW went with the larger battery as well. Might have good reason.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
I can get a pic tomorrow, that’s when I’ll see the car.
On the battery, if the car does indeed have stop/start , I believe that car manufacturers install a beefier battery, I’m not 100% sure but my first car with S/Stop was in 2013 and that battery was massive despite the fact that the car was a big car but still the service department had to change it under warranty and they made a remark about it, don’t know if it was bs or not .