GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PSA: Cable Tie Your Bonnet Release Cable Junction Box

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
That's bad and a bit scary, mine is now cable-tied and the latch gets lubed every week....

You should be able to tell when something is wrong.

Mine had been getting tougher and tougher to open for a good few months and I just thought nothing of it - it was a sign the mechanism was failing.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks OP, great idea. Cable ties installed, one on each end and one in middle, had to pry gently in middle get cable tie started through and then grab with pliers and pull through. I had to destroy my grill due to my own negligence of shutting in the middle of job when I had it taken apart. Not a fun project plus cost of new grill.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Thanks OP, great idea. Cable ties installed, one on each end and one in middle, had to pry gently in middle get cable tie started through and then grab with pliers and pull through. I had to destroy my grill due to my own negligence of shutting in the middle of job when I had it taken apart. Not a fun project plus cost of new grill.

I feel your pain. Had to do the same thing myself.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
The internal release tab if it had a slight cut put into it might hold a thin cable on it and allow it to dangle down through the space in front of the intercooler. I was playing with it last night and the piece doesn't have a lot of grab for a wire attached to it. If it was able to hold on though it would release just as easy as the normal hood release.

But so far no options after the fact. Everything needs some form of pre planning.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
I'm dealing with this right now. Taking it to the dealer this week. Luckily I'm under warranty.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
I did some thinking, I wonder if you could take off the front bumper and then you would be able to get the grill off (if you took out the two screws that hold it in place beforehand) then you would get access to the latch.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I did some thinking, I wonder if you could take off the front bumper and then you would be able to get the grill off (if you took out the two screws that hold it in place beforehand) then you would get access to the latch.

How would you unscrew it and push it up with the bonnet in the way?

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
How would you unscrew it and push it up with the bonnet in the way?

You wouldn’t need to push it up because the bumper would be gone. This is granted you have the 2 screws that hold the grill in from top taken out beforehand, when the hood latch isn’t broken. I already took my screws out, the clips in the bumper seem to hold it securely enough.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
You wouldn’t need to push it up because the bumper would be gone. This is granted you have the 2 screws that hold the grill in from top taken out beforehand, when the hood latch isn’t broken. I already took my screws out, the clips in the bumper seem to hold it securely enough.

I suppose that could be possible. Worth thinking about.