GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 Logging, stacking and Map 6 Discussion

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
There are two train of thought. Some tuners will run it lean till around 5000rpm which helps with spool and midrange power. ED is a good example of this. Others run it in between at high 13's till around 4000 and then drop into the mid to high 12's.

The goal is to run it leanish without triggering the EGT safety. Once the safety is triggered the AFR will run up to 2 points richer. When this happen its normally in higher gears which most people in the US do not experience. If the car is set too rich and it hits the safety it the AFR can become dangerously rich. We have locked the max bias to avoid this but also run it at such a point that the safety is rarely triggered. The operation of the safety is within the normal operating parameters of the ECU and happens relatively often on the stock AFR levels.

Hey George - thanks for the reply. In terms of the JB4, considering it runs within stock AFR specs, is there any benefit to be gained by leaning it out around 5000rpm? There was a user here a few pages ago that adjusted the fuel bias to 0 by mistake, which caused a massive lean spike. In theory, would adjusting the fuel bias to hit the low 14.x's add to power/spool?

I am certainly not going to monkey around with that, but theorycrafting is fun :)

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Hey George - thanks for the reply. In terms of the JB4, considering it runs within stock AFR specs, is there any benefit to be gained by leaning it out around 5000rpm? There was a user here a few pages ago that adjusted the fuel bias to 0 by mistake, which caused a massive lean spike. In theory, would adjusting the fuel bias to hit the low 14.x's add to power/spool?

I am certainly not going to monkey around with that, but theorycrafting is fun :)

Yea that was me....don't adjust while driving is the lesson

ashiun

Ready to race!
Ok I got a small log in. I just set it to map 2 and promptly logged a pull. I'm not sure if there is an adaptation time for JB4. Didn't push 3rd high enough to see what my timing looks like. This was on 91 octane, I'll have 94 on my next fill-up. Mods in sig.

~56f ambient
https://datazap.me/u/ashiun/oct-14-midnight-56f-ambient?log=0&data=1-4&zoom=38-132

This is the real start of my logging journey so I'm not clear on a few things:
1) I see some timing adaptation (?) on cyl. 2 and 3. Is this normal?
2) Is target just the amount of psi I'm supposed to be hitting above ECU requested PSI, and as long as load is relatively equal to target I'm all gucci?
3) My AFR is above 14 throughout, and reaches 16.2 at one point. What am I to do about this? Reading back a few pages suggests that I should raise my FOL from 50 to 60 for richer mixture and therefore lower my AFR. (Higher AFR number is leaner... right?). Which leads to my next question.
4) Does changing FOL or boost safety affect preset maps like map 2? If not, what FOL is it defaulted to?

If I'm to replicate map 2 in map 6 as a starting point, do I just assign additive values matching the existing target values I took from logging map 2?

Last edited:

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Last edited:

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Ok I got a small log in. I just set it to map 2 and promptly logged a pull. I'm not sure if there is an adaptation time for JB4. Didn't push 3rd high enough to see what my timing looks like. This was on 91 octane, I'll have 94 on my next fill-up. Mods in sig.

~56f ambient
https://datazap.me/u/ashiun/oct-14-midnight-56f-ambient?log=0&data=1-4&zoom=38-132

2) Is target just the amount of psi I'm supposed to be hitting above ECU requested PSI, and as long as load is relatively equal to target I'm all gucci?
3) My AFR is above 14 throughout, and reaches 16.2 at one point. What am I to do about this? Reading back a few pages suggests that I should raise my FOL from 50 to 60 for richer mixture and therefore lower my AFR. (Higher AFR number is leaner... right?). Which leads to my next question.
4) Does changing FOL or boost safety affect preset maps like map 2? If not, what FOL is it defaulted to?

If I'm to replicate map 2 in map 6 as a starting point, do I just assign additive values matching the existing target values I took from logging map 2?

Recheck that AFR tap. Also, ensure AFR/Fuel bias is set to 100 all the way down.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Looks good. Try these, my daily settings (EDIT, when you add the E85):

1500 2.0
2000 3.0
2500 4.0
3000 4.5
3500 5.5
4000 6.0
4500 7.0
5000 8.5
5500 8.0
6000 7.5
6500 7.0
7000 6.5

TY, will try. What would you turn down for 93? (Road trips etc.) Just run what I've got now?

m00se

Ready to race!

~56f ambient

You need to make sure you log full throttle in 3rd gear to at least 6.5K RPM to get a decent reading. Bonus if you can log a little bit into 4th gear. Can't really interpret anything from the log you posted.

m00se

Ready to race!

Murf1

Ready to race!
Looks pretty good considering the high IATs. I would increase 4k-4.5k a little and taper down more past 5.5k.

Thanks m00se. Changed my Map6 to this. Will try to get a log tomorrow.

1500 2.0
2000 4.0
2500 4.0
3000 4.5
3500 5.0
4000 6.0
4500 6.5
5000 6.5
5500 6.5
6000 5.5
6500 5.0
7000 4.5