GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Adding the extra hardware is a good idea & so is the stainless bolts...I highly recommend it..

I would prefer to fit the GTE full aero cover (not reinforced skid tray)...perfect fit, loads of vents, even has the dogbone mount cut out...

I am surprised you had to cut around the Audi brake ducts??....Christ that is bad design on their part as even my full OEM skid tray is nowhere near them...

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Looks great. One question - how are those access panels held on? They look like button snaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Threaded screw. One side has threaded metal insert and they are then bolted on. Key would be to tighten snug and not torque down. Not fragile but just something to keep in mind. Screws might be aluminum. Look like it and are light.

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Adding the extra hardware is a good idea & so is the stainless bolts...I highly recommend it..

I would prefer to fit the GTE full aero cover (not reinforced skid tray)...perfect fit, loads of vents, even has the dogbone mount cut out...

I am surprised you had to cut around the Audi brake ducts??....Christ that is bad design on their part as even my full OEM skid tray is nowhere near them...

Not sure if the brake ducts sits farther in, due to my Supaloy Arms. They only needed about a 1/2” cut but I evened them to match the wheel well trim.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Not sure is the brake ducts sit farther in due to my Supaloy Arms. They only needed about a 1/2” cut but I evened them to match the wheel well trim.

My skid tray matches the wheel well trim side panel quite well..that tray sticks out rearwards quite abit more than the OEM trays...strange why they did that..

flygteye

Ready to race!
That looks nice. I might have to reconsider getting one from there (or OEM). How hard was it to install? Nice pics too.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
That looks nice. I might have to reconsider getting one from there (or OEM). How hard was it to install? Nice pics too.

If you just slide the front part into place and do not worry about trying to bolt it in then install is not very hard. They send bolts and washers for all locations. You can reuse the OE side screws if you like.
I purchased SS bolts at Lowe’s so they do not rust as much.
The fit is good. I trimmed so dog bone was not covered and the clear the Audi parts I have. The plastic cover cuts easily with a jig saw. Cuts clean. With a heat gun I rounded and sharp edges. Textured finish looks nice inside and out.
If anyone ever gets to see!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Back to the Strip!

The town nearby had a two lane road through town that was the strip on Friday and Saturday nights. For 20 years now the strip has been 4 lanes and not used in the same way as much. But a few years back a local group started a fund raiser to collect money and food for our local "Meals on Wheels" program.
The yearly event is called "Back to the Strip".

During the day is a car show and from 5-9 everyone drives the strip while people collect food and money. The video below is from 3 years ago but gives you an idea of the event.

I force my wife to drive down a couple times.
On the way I passed through an intersection at the same time an older car entered the intersection. Headed toward me was an old metal hub cap! Luckily it turned and did not hit me. I asked my a wife if she remembered hub caps.
She did and said her Mother had to stop and look for them everytime one fell off.
The hazards of long ago!

https://youtu.be/Dyama_WH-k4

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
How many sandmangti’s are there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course there can only be one!
But, my Tapatalk account is not synchronized correctly so it counts post separately.
Has to do with login name I think.
Tapatalk does not allow spaces so I think that might be the issue.
On the Forum I have a space between Sandman and GTI, Tapatalk does not.

More of me to love!

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
SRS-TEC fog light cover.

Ordered this over the winter and have been slow in getting it ready, but with a late cold winter I wanted to wait anyway. I had two options to get it painted. One was a place I have had two vehicles painted but is 10 miles across town and hard for me to get there after work. The other is 1/2 mile from work which is the Ford dealer. I never get good service here but thought I would try the paint shop. Dropped off and was told it would be a week. Week later still not painted. Told them I would be out of town for spring break the next week and could they have completed when I get back. Said yes. Came back and parts painted. One was OK, the other had sand size dirt in the finish on the main face. Asked them to redo it. Week later it was done, but as I looked at it the black coat was very thin. You could see through to primer. Offered to redo. I said no that I would take somewhere else. Did not change me for 3 week wait and poor work. So the following Monday, I dropped them off at the other shop. Would have by Friday. Picked up, looked good. Owner told me that in the sun to Ford paint job had flake in it and not just gloss black. Told him it was likely over spray from the black F150 the Ford dealer was painting each time I stopped in. But parts ready.

Installed them last week. Wrapped them in Lamin-X clear film this weekend due to them sitting low and likely seeing many rocks.
The install went well. Best to have two sets of hands. I was by myself so a little more work.

On the passenger side (1st install) I applied a bead of the adhesive to the part a little back from edge all the way around. This worked ok but did have some adhesive push out, which had to be cleaned. I used low oder paint thinner, which works well and cleans complete. Only issue is hard.to hold and clean. If you tape to hold, then harder to clean with tape in way. On the second one (drivers side), I applied adhesive to the part only on the top edge set back some. Please the bottom and back toward the wheel I ran a bead of adhesive along the joint between the white lower bumper and black plastic of the fog light fins. This is the contact point of the SRS piece. This process was cleaner and had less wipe up. The next day you can apply more(sort of like caulking) and smooth out and fill the joint if needed. My driver side did not need any touch up as I used better process and this part fit perfect.

I think it looks good.
The PP package should have had this as an option to set it apart.
I think it looks similar to the Porsche piece. Extra but fits in well.

I added the clear film as I think this piece will see a lot of road dirt and rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
wow. it's been a long time comin'. awesome installs, guys. Sandy, is the lower, inner "wisker" lined up with the break in black plastic of the fascia?