GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WTF is this leak?!

Z27

Ready to race!
Today, I noticed a brownish liquid residue on the left of the engine bay and I haven't noticed this before.

I just came from my 10,000 mile service (at 2,650 miles) yesterday and I can't believe they did not spot this.

Does anyone know what this is?

Bottom of the left side

Right engine bay

Last edited:

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Probably from when they changed the oil filter and some the oil spilled. Clean it and chances are that you won't see it again

Z27

Ready to race!
Probably from when they changed the oil filter and some the oil spilled. Clean it and chances are that you won't see it again

I tried wiping it and smelling it and it doesn't smell like much. Seems like grease.

I also added another picture where there is build up on the lower engine cover.

Wow 2,650 miles in a year? Amazing :)

Not my DD :)

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
So it's on both sides of the engine bay?

Looked under the hood of my car and it looks like I have 1 spot of what appears to be grease on the passenger side. It is in the same area as yours and looks like it may be the same thing. Maybe something from the factory? I can take a picture if you would like.

Last edited:

Z27

Ready to race!
So it's on both sides of the engine bay?

Looked under the hood of my car and it looks like I have 1 spot of what appears to be grease on the passenger side. It is in the same area as yours and looks like it may be the same thing. Maybe something from the factory? I can take a picture if you would like.

People from Vortex confirmed it is wax. Quote below.

It's normal, it is a wax coating that helps with rust, it likes to run and drip when hot.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Ah ha, thanks!

Z27

Ready to race!

BJJGTI

Ready to race!
It's in all of these cars. It's the glue or whatever that is injected into the panels from the factory. It's in every mk7 that I have seen but it's much easier to see in the light colored cars.

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
It will run out a little in the hot weather.
I guess many don't recall taking their new car to Dinitrol to have all the hollow body sections injected with wax - when the manufacturers anti corrosion measures were pretty rubbish and car bodies only lasted a few years.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
I thought VW would want your car closer to 10,000 miles before they do the service.
I know one is included in cost but a lot oculd happen between 2,600 and 10,000. Sell car, total it etc.

I would think VW accounting would have issue with service 8,000 miles early.

Anyway.

It's 10k or 12 months. OP only has 2,600 miles, but has had the vehicle for a year.