GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why Small Turbo Engines Get Lousy Mileage

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Next year, the Golf and FWD GSW receive your 1.4L.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

NAR models you mean...& the 1.4 EA211 was replaced by the more efficient & eco 1.5lt (EVO) last year...over here in Europe & UK...:p

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
If you really get on it you can actually see the fuel needle going down...but you should probably be paying attention to the road at that speed.

Super easy to get 20 mpg out of this car or 40 mpg . I feel like we've discussed this before :p

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Super easy to get 20 mpg out of this car or 40 mpg . I feel like we've discussed this before :p

This. You don’t get to 9000 posts by posting pertinent information.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Now let's discuss, in depth, how manual vs DSG transmissions contribute to this argument...

/me runs off

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
This. You don’t get to 9000 posts by posting pertinent information.

Sometimes I think you and Adam are the same person.

DP03

Ready to race!
he's right...epa is 24 city 34 hwy with a combined of 28. I don't get close to that......

I get 35 combined.

;)

I am also getting 35 combined....however, most of miles are sedate commuting miles.

adam1991

Banned
I am also getting 35 combined....however, most of miles are sedate commuting miles.

let's see, 35 times 12...that's 420 miles on a tank.

Be prepared for the onslaught of knuckle-dragging posters making fun of you for not whomping on it 24/7.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I can easily get 38 Average on the highway, about 26 in the city to 30 averaged. I noticed a big jump up when I did a few things:
Tuned it
Better filter
Better spark plugs
Running V power 93 oct

On the days I run e30 mixes my mpg chops down about 5-6 on average :(

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
With the mods in my signature, I'm still getting around 28-30 combined.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
It doesn't matter what sort of engine it is, fuel economy has everything to do with how you drive. As an example, the two-hour freeway drive to the HPDE weekend in my old car (2011 Civic Si) consumed a little less than a half tank of fuel. 1 day's worth of track time (3-4 20-minute sessions) blasting around at 8000 RPM consumed another half a tank. Also not news: EPA mileage figures are almost impossible to achieve in real-world driving environments.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
so I just got my obd11. I know it's somewhat of a derail but I have tried adjusting the cars math on mpg. It tended to overstate mpg by 2 or so. We'll see how the correction goes. I spent a few hrs and did 4 "mods"

edit: Shane is correct driver matters. (also your commute) My commute is about as good as it gets.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
NAR models you mean...& the 1.4 EA211 was replaced by the more efficient & eco 1.5lt (EVO) last year...over here in Europe & UK...:p

The NAR Jetta has had the 1.4 EA211 for the last three years. So it's been here for awhile, but only on the Jetta. For 2019 it will replace the 1.8 EA888 on the FWD Golfs, while only the AWD Golfs will keep the 1.8 EA888.

Unlike in the UK/EU, we are usually one engine configuration for a given trim level or model of VW.

mk6-k

Ready to race!
About what I get with APR Stage II.

I can easily get 38 Average on the highway, about 26 in the city to 30 averaged. I noticed a big jump up when I did a few things:
Tuned it
Better filter
Better spark plugs
Running V power 93 oct

On the days I run e30 mixes my mpg chops down about 5-6 on average :(

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
My mileage varies tremendously. Sometimes 30 sometimes 15. I don't hammer on it, but I don't granny it. I guess it just depends on traffic.