GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why can't I get rid of this car?

PastaMachina

Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE DSG
I'll keep my 7.5 GTI for as long as I'm alive. It's probably the best GTI there ever was and I could never see myself selling it or trading it in. Not much on the road that can compete with it either for practicality and fun. It can be a family car or a race car or both. It just can't get through flood water unfortunately but maybe one day there will be a solution for that...maybe I'll put a breather on it lmao.

Even when I buy a new car, I'll still keep this GTI for myself.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Are you getting some screaming deal on it or a die hard Chevy fan (doubt it if you have a vw currently)… cause the bolts got a shit charge speed when you “need” to dc fast charge and even with its limited power and smaller motors it’s still only doing around 3.5miles per KWH. My ev with over 500tq and 575 hp, gets that same efficiency. If you’re just look looking to go ev for the “cost of use” savings… and a bolt is your standard - you really should just accept falling into being a common Tesla owner and pick up and rwd model 3 for 31k (after Credit), dollar for dollar, range for range, feature for feature, infrastructure for infrastructure you can’t beat a Tesla currently for EVs.

I didn’t go Tesla cause I just didn’t want a Tesla and I’m dumb and wanted to spend 10k more 😂, but the comparable to my car would have been a model Y performance, that would have cost me 10k less easily.

Original subject though… I fully agree, I love my GTI so much and have zero interest in getting rid of it for anything that I could actually afford.
I've never had a Chevy, VW is actually my preferred brand if car (I've had 3 of them). Charge speed doesn't matter much to me since I will be charging at home and have solar so cost of charging is irrelevant. The car is going to be used for daily commuting, on the rare occurrence of a road trip I'll rent a car. But I usually fly places. As far as price goes, I'm looking at 26k after all is said and done including tax credit. I'm not sure where you see a model 3 for 31k after credit, but from what I've seen they go for around 40, minus tax credit would be 32.5 but with tax and all that it's close to 37k. So the bolt would be almost 10k less and I get 1k dollars towards the installation of a home charger. Plus from what I've read the bolt is just a good little car.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
My MK7.5 4Motion Sportwagen is a keeper...what a great car since buying new in '18. New today would be either a MK8 GTI or R or a Civic Type R...I do like the awd but am not stuck on it. No 911/718 money yet until last kid is all done and out.

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I've never had a Chevy, VW is actually my preferred brand if car (I've had 3 of them). Charge speed doesn't matter much to me since I will be charging at home and have solar so cost of charging is irrelevant. The car is going to be used for daily commuting, on the rare occurrence of a road trip I'll rent a car. But I usually fly places. As far as price goes, I'm looking at 26k after all is said and done including tax credit. I'm not sure where you see a model 3 for 31k after credit, but from what I've seen they go for around 40, minus tax credit would be 32.5 but with tax and all that it's close to 37k. So the bolt would be almost 10k less and I get 1k dollars towards the installation of a home charger. Plus from what I've read the bolt is just a good little car.
Yeah sorry… was just rough rounding for a base spec model 3.

Yeah 26k is cheap, I just wouldn’t dump a fun car to go to a bolt personally. While it’s seems you’re still just after gas savings, only- what’s your daily commute range? If it’s low and you do enjoy the fun factor of the GTI, could you afford to just get a super cheap preowned ev like a egolf or Nissan leaf, (I know their motor/battery/charging system and less advanced than the bolt already is, but at least you’ll get to keep the fun car for weekend terrorizing the streets -lol.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Yeah sorry… was just rough rounding for a base spec model 3.

Yeah 26k is cheap, I just wouldn’t dump a fun car to go to a bolt personally. While it’s seems you’re still just after gas savings, only- what’s your daily commute range? If it’s low and you do enjoy the fun factor of the GTI, could you afford to just get a super cheap preowned ev like a egolf or Nissan leaf, (I know their motor/battery/charging system and less advanced than the bolt already is, but at least you’ll get to keep the fun car for weekend terrorizing the streets -lol.
Honestly because of the price of gas I don't drive the GTI like a fun car, so I'm not really missing out on too much. I love the platform of the GTI, everything is right where it should be and it's a very well made machine. But from what I've seen in person and read online, the '23 bolts are pretty well made for the money as well. To my surprise many say they are better made than Teslas. My regular commute is 50-75 miles per day, with most other trips being city driving. The GTI getting 20-22mpg average is just abysmal given the price of gas in California. From my calculations based on the average price of gas and how much I drive per year I'll be saving close to 4500 in gas alone, not to mention other maintenance that needs to be done to an ICE car.

I will miss the GTI though, I've been driving one for the last 8 years and they have done me very well. I also know most people on these forums will praise the GTI to the grave, so I take everything with a pound or two of salt 😂

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Honestly because of the price of gas I don't drive the GTI like a fun car, so I'm not really missing out on too much. I love the platform of the GTI, everything is right where it should be and it's a very well made machine. But from what I've seen in person and read online, the '23 bolts are pretty well made for the money as well. To my surprise many say they are better made than Teslas. My regular commute is 50-75 miles per day, with most other trips being city driving. The GTI getting 20-22mpg average is just abysmal given the price of gas in California. From my calculations based on the average price of gas and how much I drive per year I'll be saving close to 4500 in gas alone, not to mention other maintenance that needs to be done to an ICE car.

I will miss the GTI though, I've been driving one for the last 8 years and they have done me very well. I also know most people on these forums will praise the GTI to the grave, so I take everything with a pound or two of salt 😂
I've never been brand loyal, and this is my first gti, but this car is just too hard to get rid of for me. It has never been an issue before, even with my sti which the subaru diehards wanted to put me on the stake for moving away from scoob to a fwd vw (gasp!).

Not judging, but how are you only getting 20-22? A lot of uphill or wind resistance drives? Going 90mph all the time?

I don't drive super slow, but I rarely go over 10mph over. Typically I also find fun in tossing the car through turns (safely) by choosing the right places to be in a lower gear and use brake for rotation before a boosty power out. I still manage 25mpg around town, and typically going 80mph on the interstate I'm getting 30-32mpg. @70 I get closer to 34. Now, cruising along at 85 I start to dip into 28s, so I imagine if you're averaging in the 20s you're doing 90-95mph cruising? I did have issues with coil packs where I was getting less, but still not 20! 😳

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
If I had to part out my car and sell it today, I'd probably go for the Supra. For a turbo BMW they sound great, don't have any of the usual bmw engine cancer, and are the only current-gen "M" coupe that doesn't weigh 4k+. Motors can take a lot more power than a DAZA, stock for stock. Sitting in one feels special, most of the other luxury-brand stuff feels like you're not really in a sports car.

Reliability-wise, a 4C is a terrible idea, especially with that dry dual clutch.
I got promoted. Wife got a big raise. Was all set to list my R for sale and start Supra hunting. Bam pregnant. Now we’re looking at 3 row suvs to replace her Buick.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Have you tried yelling at it?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I got promoted. Wife got a big raise. Was all set to list my R for sale and start Supra hunting. Bam pregnant. Now we’re looking at 3 row suvs to replace her Buick.
I am both happy and sad for you. Yay for the $ and sad that it takes away (potentially) from getting a fun vehicle. Personally I chose a people hauler and a fun car.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
I still love my 2017 GTI Sport at 137,000 miles. It’s so much fun and mine has been very reliable. While I’d love to have a Cayman I need a family car. The only car I’d consider at a reasonable price is a Hyundai Elantra N. It’s everything the GTI is with a bit more space and 50 or so more hp.