GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where's the sweet spot?

Agray

Go Kart Champion
I'm glad this is a topic because I've been back and forth a million times on my build.

Originally I wasn't going to mess with E. I can get it, but it's not plentiful where I live and I'd have to plan around fill ups. Which I'm not above doing, but it's not ideal. FCP Euro is38 and HPFP and aim for mid to upper 300's was the plan but if with the same fueling on a Vortex I can expect roughly 400 without popping, I might go that route. It's an $800 difference for a car that may never see a track and is my daily (I have a Jeep as a backup) but fast cars are fun. No interest in fueling upgrades beyond the HPFP internals, which are identical to my old Speed3.
Same boat here... I have access to E but just don't want to mess with it. With the is38, why would you need to add the HPFP unless EQT (I assume) comes back and says it's maxing out? Are there serious reliability concerns running E30-E50 on an is38? That would probably be near Vortex power on 93.

At the end of the day, I'm leaning towards the is38 on 93 AKI. It's the most simple, least costly, and most reliable option (and lifetime warranty), but I'm concerned it's not going to be a jump in power worthwhile coming from stage 2 93 AKI. Of course, the other option is Votex on 93 AKI with plenty of power, but it doesn't come cheap, and requires fueling mods which I hoped to never get in to.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Same boat here... I have access to E but just don't want to mess with it. With the is38, why would you need to add the HPFP unless EQT (I assume) comes back and says it's maxing out? Are there serious reliability concerns running E30-E50 on an is38? That would probably be near Vortex power on 93.

At the end of the day, I'm leaning towards the is38 on 93 AKI. It's the most simple, least costly, and most reliable option (and lifetime warranty), but I'm concerned it's not going to be a jump in power worthwhile coming from stage 2 93 AKI. Of course, the other option is Votex on 93 AKI with plenty of power, but it doesn't come cheap, and requires fueling mods which I hoped to never get in to.
For reference I have Vortex XL with HPFP on 93 running an 8.88 60-130 for over 30k miles no issues. I don't think an E85 IS38 will touch that but I could be wrong.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

The IS38 on 93 will put you into the 365 HP range with a good protune.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
For reference I have Vortex XL with HPFP on 93 running an 8.88 60-130 for over 30k miles no issues. I don't think an E85 IS38 will touch that but I could be wrong.
You're right. The IS38 will be down in HP compared to yours. By around 70 HP on E85.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I'm waiting on the last piece for my "budget 400whp" build right now. That being the e48 ots tune.

Fcp IS38 + autotech hpfp + a 91 and an e48 ots tune = ~$1600

I wanted to go more power without going nuts either on budget or pushing it on long term reliability.

Im currently running the 91 tune from the same vendor and it's already pretty good.

The 400 number is from the tuner as a ballpark. I'll almost certainly never dyno and know for sure.

Once it's done I'll probably do a small review.

Agray

Go Kart Champion
That's my plan come springtime. I don't want to dick around with fueling, and no E close by. Closest I know of is half an hour away. Stay with stock fueling, put on an IS38, and grab an EQT pro tune.
Did you end up going is38? I’m thinking of doing the same as you were and interested in your thoughts.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Did you end up going is38? I’m thinking of doing the same as you were and interested in your thoughts.

Not yet. Ended up sinking my money in other things for the car first. Currently, plan on going with the Vortex when I do swap the turbo.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
What steered you to vortex vs. is38?

I don't want to spend the money and go "That's it?" and be disappointed.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Any reason you went for the XL turbo over standard vortex? You sure are putting down big hp numbers.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Any reason you went for the XL turbo over standard vortex? You sure are putting down big hp numbers.
A few actually.

1. My original purchase was a standard Vortex when they had just came out but was replaced under warranty. The XL was also just being released so I jumped in for a little more money to see what it could do on 93.

2. My current plans are to go no further than an HPFP on 93 as a matter of convenience. In the same fuel the XL will give me a bit more power for an additional $100.

3. The couple hundred RPM later spool (I haven't really seen that in my logs in 4th) is a non issue. I figured if I am giving it the beens it is only an issue for a fraction of a moment.

4. If I want to go bigger down the road with building the block I already have a turbo capable of taking me much further if I wish.

I am pleased with my choice and this car still brings a smile to my face when I drive it. No regrets.