GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where are the best deals for wheels?

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
The person whom I responded to with the post you quoted didn't say what size of tires he was using. But it's the overall height of the wheel/tire that matters.

If you scrolled up, goodvibes tells you the size. The overall height of the tire, when you retain the same wheel diameter, is impacted by the width/aspect ratio.

Calculating the sidewall thickness is simple math

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If you scrolled up, goodvibes tells you the size. The overall height of the tire, when you retain the same wheel diameter, is impacted by the width/aspect ratio.

Calculating the sidewall thickness is simple math

The sidewall thickness doesn't matter. It's the overall height that will change the speedo and tach if different from stock.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Little confused by your statement. Are you saying that your speedo is off even though you have the same height sidewall and wheel diameter. If that's what your saying then with the same height of tire and wheel your speedo should be the same regardless of lowering. If that's not what you meant then disregard.
[/QUOTE]
17 (same as stock) with 245/45 as was mentioned earlier and GTIfan99 commented on. If you read again, it says any smaller diameter than that (in response to quoted) would result in the speedo being off. GTIfan99 who I responded to was on the same page and agreed once he found out I have an Alltrack.

The math doesn't add up.

205/55 = 112.75mm sidewall
245/45= 110.25 mm sidewall

The speed will be reading faster with 245/45
2.5mm out of 329mm wheel/tire radius. Here's the actual #s if the tires have perfect spec, https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=205-55r17-245-45r17 .

Less than 0.8% different in speedo reading. Less than 1/2 mph at 65mph. It doesn't get better than that. I mean, tires wear and diameter can be that different by model with same spec or even air pressure. Generally, up to 3% is considered acceptable for size swap but this is about as close as you get.

The OEM Alltrack SEL tire/wheel combo is a full 3% taller than the other 2 models. They may adjust for it but I suspect not. Now I'm curious.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The results from that link don't verify your statement. Just the opposite.

We've covered that. That's a different article, I don't think GRM has every article ever written online. They compared RPF1, PF01, and some cheap wheels. The middle weight wheel was fastest. Wheels do in fact deflect and affect performance, especially on cars heavier than an NA Miata.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
We've covered that. That's a different article, I don't think GRM has every article ever written online. They compared RPF1, PF01, and some cheap wheels. The middle weight wheel was fastest. Wheels do in fact deflect and affect performance, especially on cars heavier than an NA Miata.

I'll just stick with my lighter wheels and rotors.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
The sidewall thickness doesn't matter. It's the overall height that will change the speedo and tach if different from stock.
No you're saying sidewall height of a 205/55 vs say 225/55 sidewall height with both 17" wheel diameter makes no difference in overall diameter? That is basically what you're saying, which is factually wrong.

What happens if you want to go from say a 17" wheel to 18" wheel and want to maintain overall diameter? What changes is the sidewall thickness.

Sidewall thickness is part of the equation to determine overall height.

The math is:
2x Sidewall height (and converted to inches) plus wheel diameter.
2x (width x aspect ratio in decimals), then convert to inches plus wheel diameter. That gives you the rough diameter. Actual diameter will vary from tire to tire (design and production variances), especially since Michelin likes to give you less tread depth to start with.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
No you're saying sidewall height of a 205/55 vs say 225/55 sidewall height with both 17" wheel diameter makes no difference in overall diameter? That is basically what you're saying, which is factually wrong.

What happens if you want to go from say a 17" wheel to 18" wheel and want to maintain overall diameter? What changes is the sidewall thickness.

Sidewall thickness is part of the equation to determine overall height.

The math is:
2x Sidewall height (and converted to inches) plus wheel diameter.
2x (width x aspect ratio in decimals), then convert to inches plus wheel diameter. That gives you the rough diameter. Actual diameter will vary from tire to tire (design and production variances), especially since Michelin likes to give you less tread depth to start with.

That's not what I was saying. Obviously the tire size you stated will have a different overall height. When I went from 18 " OEM wheels to 17 " I just used the Discount Tire calculator that shows the MPH difference to get the right size tire to keep the MPH the same.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Neuspeed only stock on RSe16 in 17x8.5 +45 5-112 57.1 in bronze, graphite, and silver.

Yep, and it's a fantastic wheel.

20200207_180725.jpg

APR is another option.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Screenshot_20200322-114944_Chrome.jpg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Looks like black is available

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Exactly double the cost of my ASA cast wheels on closeout at tirerack(gone), still needs centering rings and less than 1lb lighter for the 17x8, <1/2 for the 17x8.5. The Neuspeed will be stronger and better balanced. Of course i would prefer and appreciate the neuspeed but it won't make a functional difference for my needs.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Those look nice. What color are you buying?