GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where are the best deals for wheels?

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Im in the same boat. Not a big track or auto-x guy but for anyone looking like myself:

lightweight, cheap, good material/builds
motegi racing mr140
Konig: hypergram, dekagram, rennform, amplaform

More expensive:
Neuspeed
Vmr
Apr

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
I'm looking at the Enkei Raijin now, about $900 for the set. 20lbs is light enough for me.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Im in the same boat. Not a big track or auto-x guy but for anyone looking like myself:

lightweight, cheap, good material/builds
motegi racing mr140
Konig: hypergram, dekagram, rennform, amplaform

More expensive:
Neuspeed
Vmr
Apr

Neuspeed has sales on the RSe16 and the RSe11 right now.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It's really nice having hub centric wheels that fit big brakes. I highly recommend.

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
I ordered the Spacos from Tirerack, they are on backorder till middle/end of May:confused:. When I finally get them I am going to get some PS 4s' on them(y)

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I 100% agree with people wanting to buy wheels for looks, and I’m 100% not trying to be a dick, but all of you saying you want lightweight wheels, but don’t track/auto x your car, why do you want lighter wheels?! It will make 0 difference to you if your wheels weight 2 pounds lighter on your daily or even “spirited” drive...

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
I 100% agree with people wanting to buy wheels for looks, and I’m 100% not trying to be a dick, but all of you saying you want lightweight wheels, but don’t track/auto x your car, why do you want lighter wheels?! It will make 0 difference to you if your wheels weight 2 pounds lighter on your daily or even “spirited” drive...

I'm not talking about a 2lb difference, I'm talking about a 5-6lb difference per wheel. Isn't it something like 10 to 1 when it comes to rotational mass? Even 5lbs less per wheel is 200lbs less rotational weight, that's a big difference. If it came down to two sets of wheels, one that was 25lbs and one that was 20lbs, I'd go with the lighter wheel even if they didn't look quite as good.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm not talking about a 2lb difference, I'm talking about a 5-6lb difference per wheel. Isn't it something like 10 to 1 when it comes to rotational mass? Even 5lbs less per wheel is 200lbs less rotational weight, that's a big difference. If it came down to two sets of wheels, one that was 25lbs and one that was 20lbs, I'd go with the lighter wheel even if they didn't look quite as good.

I agree. I saved almost 14 lbs per wheel with a lighter wheel and rotor. Helps with everything. Response, braking, acceleration and MPG.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
No empirical data, but I couldn't tell the difference between my 26lb wheels and 19. I figured from what everyone says like the 10 to 1 theory etc etc, it would be 2 seconds faster to 60 and corner .05g better and stop 10 feet sooner. Then again, I'm not the most perceptive when it comes to vehicle dynamics. All things being equal, would get the lighter wheels, but if I liked the look of a heavier wheel, would probably go with that.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I certainly felt no difference whatsoever in daily driving with stock vs 19lb aftermarket wheels, and literally felt no difference in driving at the track between stock vs aftermarket wheels outside of the expected benefits of having a wider/stickier tire on aftermarket wheels. I believe in freedom, it’s your money. You’ll be happy with a set of wheels you like, regardless of weight. Enjoy!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I certainly felt no difference whatsoever in daily driving with stock vs 19lb aftermarket wheels, and literally felt no difference in driving at the track between stock vs aftermarket wheels outside of the expected benefits of having a wider/stickier tire on aftermarket wheels. I believe in freedom, it’s your money. You’ll be happy with a set of wheels you like, regardless of weight. Enjoy!

A few years ago GRM, in old man time that means sometime in the last decade, did an article where they tested the exact same car, on same tire, with 3 sets of rims of same size and offset. Super light, light and heavier than stock on an autocross course. The heavy ones we're faster than the super light ones and they have no idea why, but theorized that the super light wheels were deflecting and causing alignment issues. The super light wheel was Enkei RPF1. I had literally just ordered a set and canceled it. PF01's were heavier, but stiffer. I can't remember the heavy wheel, but it was absurdly heavy. lol.

So wheel stiffness is just as important as weight to performance, unless you're a drag racer I guess.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
A few years ago GRM, in old man time that means sometime in the last decade, did an article where they tested the exact same car, on same tire, with 3 sets of rims of same size and offset. Super light, light and heavier than stock on an autocross course. The heavy ones we're faster than the super light ones and they have no idea why, but theorized that the super light wheels were deflecting and causing alignment issues. The super light wheel was Enkei RPF1. I had literally just ordered a set and canceled it. PF01's were heavier, but stiffer. I can't remember the heavy wheel, but it was absurdly heavy. lol.

So wheel stiffness is just as important as weight to performance, unless you're a drag racer I guess.

How did the heavier wheel compare in braking and handling?