GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What would you make of this? 2018 GSW electrical gremlin.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Nope..once cleared that's it, you need to generate the faults again......Also I found this post which I think is in the wrong thread...sounds similar..& a decent solution...
Multiple errors (ACC, ESC, TPMS, etc.) | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

I figured as much. I'll just play the waiting game and run it down to my local trusted euro indi if it pops back up anytime soon. I find this whole thing to be wildly comical and frustrating.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
As of this morning the car is back at my trusted VW dealership. I made sure to take care of my service advisor and lead tech. Fingers crossed they can pinpoint this gremlin and exercise it for good.

If we can't find it after this i'll give my indi a crack at it if it pops up again. After that, IDK. Not thinking down that 'punt' path yet.

As far as replicated issues or pinpointing what causes it... no closer to a real diagnosis yet. I did ~100miles on a cold dry day, zero issues. Did another ~300mile day trip no issues. Had it happen twice in a day, once on a full lock left u-turn, reset with OBD11... and once after the car was running for a while and I exited the car while running to do an errand. When I came back in and closed the door, it started to cascade the issue (and lights on the dash.) I quick shut the car down and restarted it, NO issue. Hoping it at least recorded the faults so VCDS can time stamp the most recent.

MEGA 🤷 fingers crossed.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
We're all wanting to get this solved now.....so we're all smarter. Seriously.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
No updates from VW yet. *gulp*

didn’t you drop off before Xmas? If so,I doubt much of any work has been done on the car. Typically work like this is reserved for senior/master techs, who typically have the best PTO etc and aren’t working from Xmas to New Years. That’s why the dealer my Alltrack has been at for 8 weeks now, who received the part needed to fix my car the Monday before Xmas, hasn’t even begun the work on my car yet.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
didn’t you drop off before Xmas? If so,I doubt much of any work has been done on the car. Typically work like this is reserved for senior/master techs, who typically have the best PTO etc and aren’t working from Xmas to New Years. That’s why the dealer my Alltrack has been at for 8 weeks now, who received the part needed to fix my car the Monday before Xmas, hasn’t even begun the work on my car yet.

I know, but I also know the dealers master tech (good dude) has had 2 full days with the car. Fingers crossed. I'm anxious, haha.

What is wrong with yours? 8 weeks is ridiculous wtf. Like lemon law status in certain states LOL (depending on the situation)

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I know, but I also know the dealers master tech (good dude) has had 2 full days with the car. Fingers crossed. I'm anxious, haha.

What is wrong with yours? 8 weeks is ridiculous wtf. Like lemon law status in certain states LOL (depending on the situation)

1. Panoleak affects nearly every pano roof’d Alltrack/GSW.
2. For this reason, lots of owners have their cars in for the issue at any given point in time
3. On a national scale, the frequency of the issue is such that there is a national shortage of the parts involved in sunroof leak repair.
4. Due to national back order on sunroof frames (mine was cracked, they found it immediately as it was the first thing they checked when I dropped it off on November 12th), they couldn’t even begin working until they received a frame. They received the frame 6 weeks after I dropped my car off, the Monday before Xmas.
5. They informed me someone dropped their car off for same issue before I did, so I was 2nd in line to get my car back now that they had the parts.
6. Due to above described Master Tech/PTO/Holidays situation, they have not actually begun working on my car yet, as their Master Tech just got back to work from Holiday PTO.
7. I expect to get my car back Thursday or Friday, at which point it will have been precisely 8 weeks.

8. My car is registered in NJ which has some of the best consumer protection laws in the country. I could get a buyback right now if I wanted to. But I don’t want to. This car is my dream car. I want them to fix it, and I want to own it to 200K miles.

I have already invested nearly 10K in the vehicle since purchasing in April 2020, so a buyback would not be profitable for me.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
1. Panoleak affects nearly every pano roof’d Alltrack/GSW.
2. For this reason, lots of owners have their cars in for the issue at any given point in time
3. On a national scale, the frequency of the issue is such that there is a national shortage of the parts involved in sunroof leak repair.
4. Due to national back order on sunroof frames (mine was cracked, they found it immediately as it was the first thing they checked when I dropped it off on November 12th), they couldn’t even begin working until they received a frame. They received the frame 6 weeks after I dropped my car off, the Monday before Xmas.
5. They informed me someone dropped their car off for same issue before I did, so I was 2nd in line to get my car back now that they had the parts.
6. Due to above described Master Tech/PTO/Holidays situation, they have not actually begun working on my car yet, as their Master Tech just got back to work from Holiday PTO.
7. I expect to get my car back Thursday or Friday, at which point it will have been precisely 8 weeks.

8. My car is registered in NJ which has some of the best consumer protection laws in the country. I could get a buyback right now if I wanted to. But I don’t want to. This car is my dream car. I want them to fix it, and I want to own it to 200K miles.

I have already invested nearly 10K in the vehicle since purchasing in April 2020, so a buyback would not be profitable for me.

Understood, and I can appreciate your stance on this. I really want my issue to be CLEARLY diagnosed, as I love my car and want to keep it for a long long time. It's the end of the wagons, with MT and AWD to boot. It's a great car but this electrical gremlin has me perplexed and frustrated. Fingers crossed it truly is a minor thing, and identifiable this trip to the dealer.

I did avoid the pano roof for just this issue. Best of luck. I would have asked to store it at home in my garage as opposed to waiting (probably outside) at your dealership for parts, but that's only because I have a garage and I am OCD like that. Maybe your situation is different. Best of luck.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Understood, and I can appreciate your stance on this. I really want my issue to be CLEARLY diagnosed, as I love my car and want to keep it for a long long time. It's the end of the wagons, with MT and AWD to boot. It's a great car but this electrical gremlin has me perplexed and frustrated. Fingers crossed it truly is a minor thing, and identifiable this trip to the dealer.

I did avoid the pano roof for just this issue. Best of luck. I would have asked to store it at home in my garage as opposed to waiting (probably outside) at your dealership for parts, but that's only because I have a garage and I am OCD like that. Maybe your situation is different. Best of luck.

no it’s in the bay. They had to take the sunroof apart to diagnose the issue. But I didn’t get to do my pre-winter detail before dropping the car off and I hadn’t cleaned it in over a month at that point so the paint has had gunk just sitting on it for months now which sucks.

the upshot is I’ve put 3K miles on the loaner while I’ve had it, so that’s 3K less miles on my car. Considering I’ve been in a loaner for 2 months, and the loaner is a ~$200/mo Jetta, I may ask for them to either refund me one of my payments, or apply it to my next payment (my current car is $400/mo payments). With 2 months of payments while driving a loaner, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say “I’m not paying $400 a month for a Jetta.” Not to mention I MOVED this weekend, and it would’ve been nice to have my station wagon with rooftop storage and tons of interior space.

Last edited:

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Update:

Got a call from the dealer. They are telling me they diagnosed and confirmed that it is an issue with the cluster, and that they will be ordering a new cluster and replacing it. I find this wild, but I will be getting more information on the specifics of the issue from the master tech later today. I'll advise if I can articulate more on this soon.

I am hearing the cluster is on backorder from my service rep, more to follow on eta for that too.

What do you all make of this diagnosis? Funky, eh?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
hopefully they are correct. Intermittant issues suck. W/o me going through thread (I did read 1st post again) wtty?

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
hopefully they are correct. Intermittant issues suck. W/o me going through thread (I did read 1st post again) wtty?

Not sure what you mean in bold above, but yes, agreed... intermittent issues suck. I'll reply here later today if the lead master tech on this can articulate his findings and provide some information as to how they found it, and more importantly how sure they are.

I'm working right now, so I haven't spent a ton of time wrapping my brain around how it could be the cluster, so feel free to discuss :) haha

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
oh, yes. covered. I'm not here to start another warranty conversation, lol, but zero pushback.

BTW I took 'WTTY' in the urban dictionary sense, lol...