GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Multiple errors (ACC, ESC, TPMS, etc.)

Khan213

Car(s)
Golf MK7 GT TDI
Bought my MK7 Golf (2014) around a week ago from a salvage auction, car was hit on the driver side rear quarter which caused the hub to bend slightly therefore making the wheel slightly bent too. Those issues have now been fixed.

However from the first day I got the car, multiple errors flashed up on the infotainment and MFD:

Stop/Start Error
TPMS Error
Auto Hold system error
ACC and Front Assist error
ESC error
(The only lights that stay on the dashboard are the ESC malfunction light and the tyre pressure light)

Also, the front and rear parking sensors do not activate. If I press the button beside the gearstick, I will just hear a long beep and the button will be flashing.

The battery has been disconnected a few times and has also been charged. I have driven the car approximately 20 miles now and still no errors have cleared. Even turning the steering wheel full lock both ways has no effect.

What could the issue be? How would I go about resolving this?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
If you have VCDS/ODB11 post up a scan of the specific error codes. The generic errors aren't very helpful for troubleshooting.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Battery being low, bad or disconnected can cause a lot of these to trigger. When the car running turn the steering wheel from lock to lock (full left to full right) this clears error lights due to battery being disconnected.

At least in the US the stock batteries have been pretty poor.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
You need VCDS (paid for version) or OBD11 to first look at the codes, then erase then then start the car again & see what code re-appear, then rescan the codes, & see which codes have the earliest time stamp..that will be the culprit.

Khan213

Car(s)
Golf MK7 GT TDI
@golfdave - followed your advice and cleared the codes using VCDS. The codes that have reappeared are:

01-Engine -- Status: Malfunction 0010
:
1 Fault Found:
17158 - Databus
U1123 00 [039] - Received Error Message
Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 6
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 219090 km
Date: 2020.09.08
Time: 09:41:58

Engine speed: 0.00 /min
Normed load value: 0.0 %
Vehicle speed: 0 km/h
Coolant temperature: 19 °C
Intake air temperature: 19 °C
Ambient air pressure: 990 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 11.880 V
Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
Drivetrain coordinator: ACC fault status-Bits 0-7: 0
Drivetrain coordinator: ACC fault status-Bits 0-7: 0
Drivetrain coordinator: brake fault status-Bits 0-7: 5
Drivetrain coordinator: brake function status-Bits 0-7: 0
Drivetrain coordinator: brake function status-Bits 0-7: 4
Acceleration: 0.000 m/s²

03-ABS Brakes -- Status: Malfunction 0010
:
2 Faults Found:
0288 - Steering angle sensor
B1168 07 [137] - Mechanical Failure
MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Priority: 2
Reset counter: 182
Time: 09:41:22

16390 - Display for Tire Pressure Monitoring
C1146 02 [137] - Signal Failure
MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Time: 09:41:31

08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000

09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
:
2 Faults Found:
12307 - License Plate Light
B12CA 01 [009] - Electrical Failure
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Priority: 2
Time: 09:41:21
(Aware of this fault)

549652 - Databus
U1123 00 [009] - Received Error Message
[New feature! Extended UDS fault detail is only supported by current gen. interfaces]
Freeze Frame:

10-Park/Steer Assist -- Status: Malfunction 0010
:
1 Fault Found:
13637426 - Databus
[New feature! Extended UDS fault detail is only supported by current gen. interfaces]
Freeze Frame:

13-Auto Dist. Reg -- Status: Malfunction 0010
:
4 Faults Found:
1056 - Databus
Freeze Frame:
Fault Frequency: 2

Control Module temperature: 23 °C
Voltage terminal 15: 11.7 V
Vehicle speed: 0.00 m/s
Acceleration: 0.00 m/s²

1058 - Databus
Freeze Frame:

1059 - Databus
Freeze Frame:

1043 - Automatic Distance Control
B10E7 F0 [009] - Disconnected
Freeze Frame:

15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000

16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000

17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000

19-CAN Gateway -- Status: OK 0000

42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000

44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000

52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
:
1 Fault Found :
65650 - Turn Signal in Exterior Mirror
B11FD 13 [009] - Open Circuit
Freeze Frame:
Fault Priority: 3
Time: 09:41:20
(Aware of this fault)

5F-Information Electr. -- Status: OK 0000

Any help would be appreciated.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Looks like ABS module communication lost to the steering angle sensor (or failure of sensor) as the earliest sensor to trigger a lot of the following faults...

kingkhan

Ready to race!
I would replace the rear wheel bearing on the side it was hit (if it hasn't already). For the MK5 It also contains the wheel speed sensor which is required for traction control etc. The TMPS is based on wheel speed which is why you are likely getting those errors.

I'm guessing the MK7 likely uses a similar design.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
ABS/Wheel speed sensors tend to make the cluster light up like a Christmas tree and cascade other errors. I'd look to sort those out first.

asdf1

Exact same you have described has started today on my 2013 Golf 7 TDI.

It started after hitting some extreme potholes on a country road.

Came across this and wheel speed sensor seems likely:

Any ideas on cost of repair assuming the issue is identified as fast as it as in the above video?

Please keep us posted on your investigations.

Last edited:

Khan213

Car(s)
Golf MK7 GT TDI
After checking the car throughly, I decided to replace the entire hub itself which came with an ABS sensor. I believe that the ABS sensor may have been the issue. I drove it for 2-3 miles on mainly flat roads after repairing but the errors remained, however after taking it up a steep hill, all the errors cleared and all the systems started to work again 👍🏻

asdf1

Was experiencing the exact same issue up until 2 hours ago.

Took my car into check wheel alignment (after hitting some extreme potholes) - all ok on that front.

Had local Halfords (car store) check the battery health. Advised it was low and needed charging. So I (stupidly) hooked up my standard car charger that literally stated it was not suitable for Start/Stop systems with AGM batteries. Charged for 50 mins until the 'Ready and maintaining' light came on. I wasn't able to clear the codes after refitting the battery (VCDS wasn't at home).

After a 200km drive, and parking up for 20 mins for food, hitting the road again completely cleared all 4 dash lights and everything was back to normal. ACC, ABS, ESC, and TPMS restored.

Here hoping there was some dirt on the ABS sensor that was able to clear during the motorway drive.

LukeS99

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 Estate GTD
I'm new so please be gentle with me ... I've read with interest the problem of multiple errors - I've had the same problem on my Golf Mk7 GTD Estate, today and also about 18 months ago, the problem was just as everyone described but my cause of the problem and solution were as follows (nothing to do with battery, sensors etc) - it seams to be caused by damp/humidity in the car cabin causing some sort of short circuit / failure in the area of the fuses / relays etc behind the glove box area :-

The error would seam to happen when the inside of the cabin became very, very humid, damp, windows misting up (badly), on very very wet days ! ... I have a panoramic sunroof and this has sometimes leaked and I'm sure adds to the issue. The Solution (18 months ago, was prompted by ideas from my mechanic when I made a desperate phone call to him, while working up north !) the solution turned out to be - vent the car, put the heating on full and drive ! (I was away for work on the M6/M62 so this was easy!) - dispurce any humidity / damp ... and then about three hours later after restarting the car when I stopped the errors started to clear - not a single issue of this nature for 18 months ... and then .. The problem then hasn't reoccurred today, 2 days working in Cornwall, in pouring rain, car parked outside hotel at night, on the return trip the car did the same, pinging up a list of errors, got home - remembering the previous solution, but not wanting to drive any more - ran an extension lead out to the car, fan heater in the passenger foot-well blowing at the glove box area (after dropping it down) ... and three hours later - issue resolved (fingers crossed it works tomorrow) ...

Really worth a try if this happens to you ... I really hope this solution / works for others ! ...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I'm new so please be gentle with me ... I've read with interest the problem of multiple errors - I've had the same problem on my Golf Mk7 GTD Estate, today and also about 18 months ago, the problem was just as everyone described but my cause of the problem and solution were as follows (nothing to do with battery, sensors etc) - it seams to be caused by damp/humidity in the car cabin causing some sort of short circuit / failure in the area of the fuses / relays etc behind the glove box area :-

The error would seam to happen when the inside of the cabin became very, very humid, damp, windows misting up (badly), on very very wet days ! ... I have a panoramic sunroof and this has sometimes leaked and I'm sure adds to the issue. The Solution (18 months ago, was prompted by ideas from my mechanic when I made a desperate phone call to him, while working up north !) the solution turned out to be - vent the car, put the heating on full and drive ! (I was away for work on the M6/M62 so this was easy!) - dispurce any humidity / damp ... and then about three hours later after restarting the car when I stopped the errors started to clear - not a single issue of this nature for 18 months ... and then .. The problem then hasn't reoccurred today, 2 days working in Cornwall, in pouring rain, car parked outside hotel at night, on the return trip the car did the same, pinging up a list of errors, got home - remembering the previous solution, but not wanting to drive any more - ran an extension lead out to the car, fan heater in the passenger foot-well blowing at the glove box area (after dropping it down) ... and three hours later - issue resolved (fingers crossed it works tomorrow) ...

Really worth a try if this happens to you ... I really hope this solution / works for others ! ...

I think you are replying to the wrong thread.....your problem & solution is more for this thread here:---

What would you make of this? 2018 GSW electrical gremlin. | Page 5 | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum