GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What to buy? GTI or GLI? That is the question...

2021 GTI S or GLI S?

• GTI is on another level, and I'd pay more for it

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • GLI is a better deal, and can be made just as good

Votes: 9 17.0%

• Total voters

RollCage

Car(s)
Ford F250
So I sent BFI the following question:

"Hello!! Saw your MK7 GLI Project. Looks fantastic. I'm curious, what do you think of the handling differences between the MK7 GTI and GLI? Stock to stock, and modded to modded? I'm in the market for one or the other to set up as a DD that can pull double duty for autocross and the track. Not looking to compete, just for my own fun. What're your opinions on the two? Is the MK7 GLI really now just a "GTI with a trunk?" Or are they different enough that you can't make the GLI "feel" like a GTI?"

And their response:

"Thank you for your inquiry with us. For handling the GTI will win hands down. This purchase would be more about aesthetics and needs out of a car more-so than the handling aspect though, as without you trying to compete in racing, either would suffice.

Garrett"

So there's that data point. Was hoping for a little more info, but they're probably busy guys.

I mean, I'm no automotive engineer (my specialties lie in materials engineering, electromagnetics, and other stuff), but you'd think that since they're both MQB platform vehicles, that with equivalent tires, wheels, suspension, that if you made the weight equal, they should both handle the same... Am I far off the mark here?

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Man you are putting some serious thought into this...

Don't forget weight distribution and aerodynamic differences in your equations.

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
So I sent BFI the following question:

"Hello!! Saw your MK7 GLI Project. Looks fantastic. I'm curious, what do you think of the handling differences between the MK7 GTI and GLI? Stock to stock, and modded to modded? I'm in the market for one or the other to set up as a DD that can pull double duty for autocross and the track. Not looking to compete, just for my own fun. What're your opinions on the two? Is the MK7 GLI really now just a "GTI with a trunk?" Or are they different enough that you can't make the GLI "feel" like a GTI?"

And their response:

"Thank you for your inquiry with us. For handling the GTI will win hands down. This purchase would be more about aesthetics and needs out of a car more-so than the handling aspect though, as without you trying to compete in racing, either would suffice.

Garrett"

So there's that data point. Was hoping for a little more info, but they're probably busy guys.

I mean, I'm no automotive engineer (my specialties lie in materials engineering, electromagnetics, and other stuff), but you'd think that since they're both MQB platform vehicles, that with equivalent tires, wheels, suspension, that if you made the weight equal, they should both handle the same... Am I far off the mark here?
Dude. You are putting a lot of thought into this. You must still be split between them

consider watching some YouTube reviews comparing both?

RollCage

Car(s)
Ford F250
Man you are putting some serious thought into this...

Don't forget weight distribution and aerodynamic differences in your equations.
LMAO. Don't forget about the differences in rigidity between the sedan and hatchback bodies ;)

Curse of being an engineer and a researcher I suppose... "Analysis Paralysis" they call it :ROFLMAO:

I've pretty much decided on the GTI at this point, unless I can get a significantly better deal on the GLI. Have reached out to multiple dealers for quotes at this point, so now just waiting to hear back.

Honestly, I just find the topic interesting... Equally set up, they should feel nearly identical, yet most agree that they don't, and give the GTI the edge. Dunno, I enjoy puzzling over this stuff :)

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
LMAO. Don't forget about the differences in rigidity between the sedan and hatchback bodies ;)

Curse of being an engineer and a researcher I suppose... "Analysis Paralysis" they call it :ROFLMAO:

I've pretty much decided on the GTI at this point, unless I can get a significantly better deal on the GLI. Have reached out to multiple dealers for quotes at this point, so now just waiting to hear back.

Honestly, I just find the topic interesting... Equally set up, they should feel nearly identical, yet most agree that they don't, and give the GTI the edge. Dunno, I enjoy puzzling over this stuff :)

I have never driven a GLI, but I was super impressed by the overall dynamics of the base model MK7 Jetta loaner I had for 2 months from November to January. So much so, I was immediately confident I would be more than happy with a GLI. If I could be legitimately pleased by a 1.4TSI w/ 8-speed auto and 50mm struts + 16" wheels and 55 series Ecopia's, I knew the sky was the limit for the same car w/ 2.0IS20 + DQ381, 55mm struts, VAQ, 18's, etc etc. Throw the DCC, vented seats, and AID in and yeah... The GLI is impressive.

If I were you, I'd drive both and get whichever one you enjoy most. They're really so similar I think people are blowing the differences out of proportion. That longer wheelbase would only help the car eat up inconsistencies on the road. That w/ 17's would be a helluva GT daily driver.

cb1111

It depends what you want it for. The rear seat has significantly more leg room. The handling will always be a bit different because of the added wheelbase, but it is so close (given the same tires) and $2000 pays for a lot of mods.

The headlights make a huge difference.

I think it bioils down to what body style you like - everything else is really close

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

Bro. U near Denver Colorado? If so u can come over and drive my GTI and gli

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Has anyone said just go to a dealer and test drive both yet?

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I mostly paid my GTI off at the dealership when I bought it. If I could do it over again I’d have gotten a lowish mile MK4 R32 and a fixer upper pickup truck. My vote goes with the GTI. Never been a sedan guy though Jettas have always been pretty to me, outside the last 2 gens. I have a hard time discerning them from Ford and Korean sedans now.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I will venture the driving dynamics anywhere close to limits is moot on the street. HB's rock! The GLI would be better for a 4 person road trip because storage space is better. Yeah you can add rack/box on the GTI but if you do it often you'll regret not getting a real trunk. OP say's no family so I'm sticking with the GTI vote.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I have a small family and the GTI is just fine. Trips to the garden nursery requires the truck/suv, but I can load a lot of groceries in the hatch.