GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What does a MAP sensor do exactly?

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Better way to put it is - you cannot run a tune that requests more that 29psi on the stock sensors.

Your AP can read above 29flat but the actual tunes requested psi is below that.
Yep.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Do you recommend an expanded range MAP sensor for your OTS stage 2 tunes, or is stock sufficient without any issues?
No. No reason to push the stock turbo that high.

-- Ed

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
1624912735832.jpeg

BippityBopMeUp

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
I'm currently running the EQT stage 2 93 tune on my stock IS20 turbo '16 GTI and waiting for my vortex standard turbo to ship out. I've read that you won't need a 5 bar MAP sensor if you are running stock injectors and without MPI. Would I benefit from an upgraded MAP and PUT sensor if the only fuel upgrades I am doing are the HPFP and LPFP? Thanks y'all.

BippityBopMeUp

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
You only need upgraded sensors if you plan to go above 3 bar boost+ambient. If you plan to run ethanol on a Vortex you're going to run out of fueling pretty quick so may not even be able to exceed the stock sensors.
Definitely not planning on going above that amount of boost. I may consider dabbling in some E30. Maybe some upgraded fuel lines and an flex fuel sensor for the future.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I'm currently running the EQT stage 2 93 tune on my stock IS20 turbo '16 GTI and waiting for my vortex standard turbo to ship out. I've read that you won't need a 5 bar MAP sensor if you are running stock injectors and without MPI. Would I benefit from an upgraded MAP and PUT sensor if the only fuel upgrades I am doing are the HPFP and LPFP? Thanks y'all.
Need? No. Can you run more than 28 on pump? Yes. The HPFP and LPFP will get you some more power with a bit more boost. I have tossed the idea around with upping boost but with only an HPFP. A couple more pounds of boost nets maybe 20 more whp? For the cost of parts and a retune I cannot justify at this time. I'll cut some weight instead.

BippityBopMeUp

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Need? No. Can you run more than 28 on pump? Yes. The HPFP and LPFP will get you some more power with a bit more boost. I have tossed the idea around with upping boost but with only an HPFP. A couple more pounds of boost nets maybe 20 more whp? For the cost of parts and a retune I cannot justify at this time. I'll cut some weight instead.
Thanks for your input! I was worried that with just a HPFP that I would not see past 420 whp so decided to get the LPFP as well just in case. I am curious what kind of power I would be making with FBO and both lpfp and hpfp upgraded on 93 pump gas. I see you are making 471 with the XL! How do you like the tune so far?

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Thanks for your input! I was worried that with just a HPFP that I would not see past 420 whp so decided to get the LPFP as well just in case. I am curious what kind of power I would be making with FBO and both lpfp and hpfp upgraded on 93 pump gas. I see you are making 471 with the XL! How do you like the tune so far?

I love the tune, Ed did an amazing job! She has been extremely reliable with zero issues and I still get great millage when I am not driving like an idiot. Is EQT tuning you as well?

Last edited:

BippityBopMeUp

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
I love the tune, Ed did an amazing job! She has been extremely reliable with zero issues and I still get great millage when I am not driving like an idiot. Is EQT tuning you as well?
Yup! I'm on EQT atm and I really enjoy the stage 2 ECU and the TCU tune. It's been almost 3 weeks since I ordered the turbo and I'm just itching to have it installed lol. My LPFP is also backordered from A2B motorsports so I am just waiting on that too. What tires are you running right now? I'm currently on 245 wide Michelin PS4S and I'm hoping I have some decent grip for all the horses coming my way haha.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Yup! I'm on EQT atm and I really enjoy the stage 2 ECU and the TCU tune. It's been almost 3 weeks since I ordered the turbo and I'm just itching to have it installed lol. My LPFP is also backordered from A2B motorsports so I am just waiting on that too. What tires are you running right now? I'm currently on 245 wide Michelin PS4S and I'm hoping I have some decent grip for all the horses coming my way haha.
Funny you should ask. In the past I have ran Indy500 and I have Gmax RS are on the car now. I just received my 235/40 18 RE71R yesterday that will be installed today. The prior tires were not up to task obviously and I am.curious to.see how a 200 TW tire holds up. I also have mounts, fasteners, and suspension upgrades to assist with power delivery. Hoping you have suspension and motor/transmission mounts?

Attachments

• 20210628_192823.jpg
    20210628_192823.jpg
    1,004.5 KB · Views: 41

BippityBopMeUp

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Funny you should ask. In the past I have ran Indy500 and I have Gmax RS are on the car now. I just received my 235/40 18 RE71R yesterday that will be installed today. The prior tires were not up to task obviously and I am.curious to.see how a 200 TW tire holds up. I also have mounts, fasteners, and suspension upgrades to assist with power delivery. Hoping you have suspension and motor/transmission mounts?
I heard a lot of good things about Indy500 and even those aren't holding up well? I have high hopes for your new tires cuz they look grippy as hell. Do you daily your car or is it mainly for track and fun? The Michelin are at 300 TW but I haven't tried to do anything crazy on them. The only things I've done are the motor and transmission mounts from 034 and I've also added a dogbone insert from spulen. Both the mounts are "street" density since I don't wanna deal with all the noise, vibrations, etc. I was also thinking about getting an upgraded dogbone but idk how much more vibration it would add because the insert already adds a lot I feel.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Ok. My IS20 peaks at 30psi on your stage 2 tune.

This is the problem with looking at the peak values on the AccessPort. All you're seeing there is a spike, usually on a shift... this is not the actual boost level your car/turbo is running.

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R

Yes, with any decent pump gas we can run as much as 31-33psi and still make very good power.

-- Ed