GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Whilst trying to sort the car out for the MOT (next week), noticed the coolant was below the MIN marker..??...Was alright not that long ago..must have a leak...checked..& yes a sight leak from the plastic housing of the big thermostat/pump module on the right side of engine facing the battery...

Known problem with these EA211 engines, & I'm not DIY'ing it...PITA looking at the ERWIN book...& disposing of the waste coolant is tricky where I am, & I'm just too tired.......So I'll have to get the dealership to do it!...£££.....!!....Feck...Well it is 9yrs old & they only design them to last 7yrs!!...No need to tell me that..bloody rust!!....

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Unlocked at least 5 HP.
20231009_211550.jpg
20231009_211604.jpg

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Flip up urinal cap? 🤨

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Changed the oil, swapped out a broken window switch (has anyone had this happen to them before? I am super gentle on everything and it just snapped on me) and finally got around to swap out my old headlights, it was $$ but worth it.

IMG_3386.jpeg

IMG_3385.jpeg

IMG_3437.jpeg

IMG_3370.jpeg

Screen Shot 2023-10-20 at 10.12.18 PM.png

Also found out my RMS is leaking? It was so little though... I think its only happening under boost, bc I have never seen a drop of oil where I park....

I did tune it and swaped the PCV for a BL rev. during this last oil change interval (5k mi ago)..... It could be finally failing under higher boost... or the new PCV was bad?

I have also noticed a bit of "sweat" around the cam bridge cover....thats new, and it has always sweated around the oil cap...

It would also never consume oil, at least not enough to need to be refilled... this time I had to add ~0.7 QT in the 5k mi....

I guess Ill keep an eye on it.... hopefully I can do it all at once with the clutch, which is still holding Stage 2 great....

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Changed the oil, swapped out a broken window switch (has anyone had this happen to them before? I am super gentle on everything and it just snapped on me) and finally got around to swap out my old headlights, it was $$ but worth it.

View attachment 293808

View attachment 293809

View attachment 293810

View attachment 293811

View attachment 293812

Also found out my RMS is leaking? It was so little though... I think its only happening under boost, bc I have never seen a drop of oil where I park....

I did tune it and swaped the PCV for a BL rev. during this last oil change interval (5k mi ago)..... It could be finally failing under higher boost... or the new PCV was bad?

I have also noticed a bit of "sweat" around the cam bridge cover....thats new, and it has always sweated around the oil cap...

It would also never consume oil, at least not enough to need to be refilled... this time I had to add ~0.7 QT in the 5k mi....

I guess Ill keep an eye on it.... hopefully I can do it all at once with the clutch, which is still holding Stage 2 great....

I have a broken window switch too, just snapped off randomly one day. I haven’t bothered to change it.

Would definitely suspect your new PCV is bad. That’s the worst case scenario casing a RMS leak

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
I have a broken window switch too, just snapped off randomly one day. I haven’t bothered to change it.

Would definitely suspect your new PCV is bad. That’s the worst case scenario casing a RMS leak

Yeah im following your adventures with the MK8 PCV, if mine is bad too then their QC is horrible lol

dood.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Swapped in some new rear brake pads before a lapping day tomorrow at Pacific Raceways. Porterfield R4-S on my non-PP GTI.

Good thing I did because the old ones were absolutely shot (same pads). I haven’t made any changes to XDS and usually keep ESC on sport when it’s dry and full on when it’s wet. That in combination with my open diff and my learning as a driver are all likely contributors. These lasted for my first 7 track days. Gonna be keeping a close eye on the rears now and thinking about improvements.

IMG_1005.jpeg

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion

View attachment 293808

View attachment 293809

View attachment 293810

View attachment 293811

View attachment 293812

I've had my window switch giving me issues trying to put the drivers window down once. Overtime the switch was super loose. I was able to wiggle the switch up and down. Eventually, I pressed down so hard trying to put the window down and shit broke. Replacement was cheap.

dlhoovler

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
swapped out a broken window switch (has anyone had this happen to them before? I am super gentle on everything and it just snapped on me)
Not a complete break like that, but my switch for the left rear window did have the chrome foil flake up a couple of months ago, nearly cutting my finger. A few minutes with a utility knife and a small file, and the foil is gone, or smoothed enough to not be a problem. The difference from the other switches isn't noticeable enough for me to swap out the whole panel just yet. I guess the chrome accents are the MK7 equivalent of the MK4 soft-touch material?