GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Saw my first MK8 GTI in the wild today on my drive to work. I couldn't even tell it was a GTI until I got up close to it. Looked like a Mazda from behind and maybe too narrow? I'm not sure. Looked like it wasn't wide enough or something lol. I hate how the GTI badge is centered now too. If I bought one, the first thing I would do is remove that badge.

Only one I’ve seen is the baby shit green and I couldn’t want one less in that color lol.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
If it were mine I would’ve ran 3.5” all the way back to dual 3” w/o additional tips, but to each their own.
Completely agree with that. I did my turbo GTO with 3.5" Downpipe to clear the steering column transitioning to 4" all the way back. I wanted dual 3.5" but decided to make my own exhaust tip. 3.5" cut in half with some sheet metal. Everything was aluminized stainless since the budget was low except for the manifolds and cross pipe that was stainless. 2012, first time welding exhaust and aluminum, first time TIG welding. Previous iron work welding... LOL did not translate into this kind of work a tall. Coated in TechLine Coatings turbo black semi gloss black, they don't sell retail anymore. Very nice coating, fully cures on the car, no need to bake it in. My next option for the GTI will be Cerakote.

tip.jpg

tip1.jpg

tip3.jpg

tip2.jpg

tip4.jpg

exhaust.jpg

exhaust1.jpg

mid pipe.jpg

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Picked it up from the body shop last night. Wasn't too crazy about their work, went outside insurance to try and do the guy a favor. Already have to bring it back as the door handle was assembled incorrectly and they are still waiting on the fender liner that faces the door. Yay box truck drivers that don't check their mirrors before reversing.

It rained right after I picked it up, so excuse the dirty after repair picks. Paint looks decent, just not 100% happy with the body work.

Attachments

• 20220125_103742.jpg
    20220125_103742.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 114
  • 20220125_111229.jpg
    20220125_111229.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 118
  • 20220216_084052.jpg
    20220216_084052.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 117
  • 20220216_084135.jpg
    20220216_084135.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 113
  • 20220216_084213.jpg
    20220216_084213.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 113
  • Sad
Reactions: krs

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Picked it up from the body shop last night. Wasn't too crazy about their work, went outside insurance to try and do the guy a favor. Already have to bring it back as the door handle was assembled incorrectly and they are still waiting on the fender liner that faces the door. Yay box truck drivers that don't check their mirrors before reversing.

It rained right after I picked it up, so excuse the dirty after repair picks. Paint looks decent, just not 100% happy with the body work.
Got a buddy in the same boat with his R. He took a 4 minute video of all the shit they messed up and sent it to the regional rep for his insurance. Best part was in the video where he asked how many Phillips head screws are on a VW. Shop called the next day and asked for it back.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3

I had a nearly identical experience with mine -- box truck rolled over my front driver's side area pulling out of a gas pump (I was out of the car, pumping gas). Nobody hurt, guy's boss asked me to handle it OTR. Body shop I took it to is part of a dealer in the area who does work on the whole lineup of VAG products, so I had reasonably high expectations.

It's not perfect, but it's good enough -- what irks me more is that there were some items that were damaged but not repaired, but I didn't find them until pretty recently, and it's been nearly a year now. No way they'd fix the stuff that's damaged, and to be honest I don't know that I trust them now. I figure I'll just wait until I'm going to be in there to replace stuff anyway, and get to it then. Cracked rad support is my biggest annoyance.

On the bright side, they were at least kind enough to let me know they couldn't pass my aftermarket lighting for inspection, I guess they're under scrutiny for letting it go in the past.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI

IMO... you need to check that work. It looks as of they just filled the door with bondo and did a horrible paint job. The orange peel is clearly more pronounce than OEM. On the door picture, the distinct line in the middle running from top to bottom is dirt? It looks as a bad spray, but could be dirt or different coloration on the surface reflecting on it.

I had to fix a few cars that were repaired like yours, and most of the owners returned to get it redone after I checked the thickness of the paint with my paint gauge and showed them. Plastic filler will eventually expand and contract separating from the metal or creating weird lines.