GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
I installed white lettering on my tyres. I like it for now, but it might not stay for long.
Maybe on a gen 3 camaro. [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

peacefrog_0521

Passed Driver's Ed
Stopped by my local VW dealer (Vyletel) on the way home just to have them look up my VIN to tell me the "PR codes". My intent was to determine what trim level I have, as it's been a topic of some debate. Turns out I have the "SEL Package". I should have had them print it out; maybe next time I go back.

I also asked them to check the warranty status as I just bought it a month ago - turns out the warranty runs out on August 28th.

They also reminded me of the open fuel pump recall; I acknowledged this but I hadn't received a notice yet. They said they could do it right then in about an hour. Sure, I said. I also asked them to leave the rear bench seat undone so I could go back in and apply sound deadening, and they agreed.

While there, and while still under warranty, I asked them to look at the minor annoyance of my driver's-side power window losing one-touch up/down function. It sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. It will always close/open when I hold the switch, however, and if I hold the switch while the window is fully-closed, the one-touch function will reset itself. Until it fails again, that is. (First World problems.)

They told me it'd be a couple hours so I poked around the showroom for a bit. I sat in a '16 GTI Autobahn. Looks and felt pretty much the same inside as my '15 TSi, except for the red stitching and fake aluminum pedals. Neither of these, in my opinion, make this car either fast or furious. It had the same smallish infotainment screen as mine as well. It obviously also had the blingy machined 18-inch wheels...which I still don't like as much as my understated 18-inch Durbans.
Frankly, I couldn't see the point of paying nearly $10k more for this car over a well-equipped TSi. I get that it has a slightly bigger engine and a slightly bigger turbo, and lowered springs and whatnot, but so what. Save your money and do mods.

I walked a block or so to Fuddrucker's and had a burger, fries, and beer. (Bell's, if you must know, on tap.) For once I'm glad their service was slow since I had to kill time. Walked back to the dealer and stood in the lounge having a free Coke Zero. (My favorite!) They told me my car was nearly ready, and that the window motor would need to be replaced but they didn't have the part, but it was on order and would be available in a few days. In fact they figured I could come back in Monday evening.
No problem.

Some residual fuel smell from the pump replacement, which they told me about in advance; I told them I'd just vent the sunroof. (Again, First World problems.)

MEM GTI

Ready to race!
The GTI feels way different than any 1.8TSI though.

Seriously. I realize it's all a matter of opinion, preferences and priorities, but: A) the bigger engine, turbo and better springs see not nothing upgrades. And you can't just "mod" the engine from a 1.8 to a 2.0. B) I know that didn't pay $10K more to get a GTI than I would have spent to get a golf. Whatever price difference I did pay was well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

three8one

Passed Driver's Ed
There's much more than the engine, the turbo and the springs. The differential is much better, the sway bars are bigger iirc, etc. It's a totally different beast.

peacefrog_0521

Passed Driver's Ed
The GTI feels way different than any 1.8TSI though.

Didn't say it wouldn't. But my 1.8 TSi already feels "way different" than my 2.0L Focus I traded in for it.

By this logic, maybe we should all go get Focus ST's with the 2.3L Ecoboost, since that's bigger and therefore must feel even more "way different" yet.

Seriously, $10k more for 200 more cubic centimeters? I think illicit drugs and bull semen come cheaper by unit volume than that.

(Update: I just looked up the cost of bull semen. It is, in fact, more expensive by unit volume. My bad.)

Seriously. I realize it's all a matter of opinion, preferences and priorities, but: A) the bigger engine, turbo and better springs see not nothing upgrades. And you can't just "mod" the engine from a 1.8 to a 2.0.

Agreed. Not nothing, but not worth that. You maybe can't mod the engine itself, but you CAN mod the turbo to a larger one if you're brave. Or increase the boost (which with Neuspeed doesn't require nearly as much bravery). None of which I have much intention of doing by the way, but I can on the 1.8T, and certainly for less than $8k.

B) I know that didn't pay $10K more to get a GTI than I would have spent to get a golf. Whatever price difference I did pay was well worth it.

I only went by the sticker showing about $32k, versus one for a Golf at about $23.5k. OK, so more like $8k~$9k. 220, 221, whatever works, My bad. Point is, I didn't feel any compelling reason after sitting in it to shop for one.

Sent from my lousy old hp desktop with a cheap-ass AMD processor using an plain web browser in Windows that could crash at any moment while I type this

three8one

Passed Driver's Ed
You could bring a TSI to GTI levels fairly easily yes, but say kiss your warranty good bye. GTI's come with all those "mods" and [mostly] everything is covered by VW.

I know what you mean btw, but I fully understand why some people buy GTI's instead of modding TSI's.

MEM GTI

Ready to race!
Didn't say it wouldn't. But my 1.8 TSi already feels "way different" than my 2.0L Focus I traded in for it.

By this logic, maybe we should all go get Focus ST's with the 2.3L Ecoboost, since that's bigger and therefore must feel even more "way different" yet.

Seriously, $10k more for 200 more cubic centimeters? I think illicit drugs and bull semen come cheaper by unit volume than that.

(Update: I just looked up the cost of bull semen. It is, in fact, more expensive by unit volume. My bad.)

Agreed. Not nothing, but not worth that. You maybe can't mod the engine itself, but you CAN mod the turbo to a larger one if you're brave. Or increase the boost (which with Neuspeed doesn't require nearly as much bravery). None of which I have much intention of doing by the way, but I can on the 1.8T, and certainly for less than $8k.

I only went by the sticker showing about $32k, versus one for a Golf at about $23.5k. OK, so more like $8k~$9k. 220, 221, whatever works, My bad. Point is, I didn't feel any compelling reason after sitting in it to shop for one.

Sent from my lousy old hp desktop with a cheap-ass AMD processor using an plain web browser in Windows that could crash at any moment while I type this

Did you actually drive it? Interior is definitely nicer, but that alone wouldn't inspire me to go GTI over golf either. Although I do love the red stitching! :p

The comparison of engine size between a TSI and a focus ecoboost is irrelevant. The 1.8 tsi vs 2.0 tsi is a significant difference, and an apples to apples comparison.

Again, golf is a great car, but any credible review you can find always recommends splurging for the GTI if you can afford it. There's a reason for that. Not insinuating you can or can't afford it (don't know, not my business) , just saying it's is almost universally considered a good value upgrade for what you get.

I shudder to think what google results popped up when you searched for bull semen.

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
Did you actually drive it? Interior is definitely nicer, but that alone wouldn't inspire me to go GTI over golf either. Although I do love the red stitching! :p

The comparison of engine size between a TSI and a focus ecoboost is irrelevant. The 1.8 tsi vs 2.0 tsi is a significant difference, and an apples to apples comparison.

Again, golf is a great car, but any credible review you can find always recommends splurging for the GTI if you can afford it. There's a reason for that. Not insinuating you can or can't afford it (don't know, not my business) , just saying it's is almost universally considered a good value upgrade for what you get.

I shudder to think what google results popped up when you searched for bull semen.

I always say splurge for the R best of the best [emoji4]

MEM GTI

Ready to race!
I always say splurge for the R best of the best [emoji4]

Haha, I knew someone would go there. I think there are more compelling dollar for dollar arguments for GTI over golf than R over GTI, but I don't criticize anyone for going all out and getting the R!

Chronic

Go Kart Champion

peacefrog_0521

Passed Driver's Ed
You could bring a TSI to GTI levels fairly easily yes, but say kiss your warranty good bye. GTI's come with all those "mods" and [mostly] everything is covered by VW.

I know what you mean btw, but I fully understand why some people buy GTI's instead of modding TSI's.

Very good point. As I found out today, my warranty runs out in 3 weeks. While that would seem like a great opportunity to go hog-wild modding my TSi, it's my daily driver, and I need it to run well pretty much all of the time, more than I need it to run really super duper fast only some of the time.

Otherwise, to do a turbo swap would probably take the kind of bravery, know-how, and backup plans on a level similar to that needed to, say, extract bull semen.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Stopped by my local VW dealer (Vyletel) on the way home just to have them look up my VIN to tell me the "PR codes". My intent was to determine what trim level I have, as it's been a topic of some debate. Turns out I have the "SEL Package". I should have had them print it out; maybe next time I go back.

I also asked them to check the warranty status as I just bought it a month ago - turns out the warranty runs out on August 28th.

They also reminded me of the open fuel pump recall; I acknowledged this but I hadn't received a notice yet. They said they could do it right then in about an hour. Sure, I said. I also asked them to leave the rear bench seat undone so I could go back in and apply sound deadening, and they agreed.

While there, and while still under warranty, I asked them to look at the minor annoyance of my driver's-side power window losing one-touch up/down function. It sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. It will always close/open when I hold the switch, however, and if I hold the switch while the window is fully-closed, the one-touch function will reset itself. Until it fails again, that is. (First World problems.)

They told me it'd be a couple hours so I poked around the showroom for a bit. I sat in a '16 GTI Autobahn. Looks and felt pretty much the same inside as my '15 TSi, except for the red stitching and fake aluminum pedals. Neither of these, in my opinion, make this car either fast or furious. It had the same smallish infotainment screen as mine as well. It obviously also had the blingy machined 18-inch wheels...which I still don't like as much as my understated 18-inch Durbans.
Frankly, I couldn't see the point of paying nearly $10k more for this car over a well-equipped TSi. I get that it has a slightly bigger engine and a slightly bigger turbo, and lowered springs and whatnot, but so what. Save your money and do mods.

I walked a block or so to Fuddrucker's and had a burger, fries, and beer. (Bell's, if you must know, on tap.) For once I'm glad their service was slow since I had to kill time. Walked back to the dealer and stood in the lounge having a free Coke Zero. (My favorite!) They told me my car was nearly ready, and that the window motor would need to be replaced but they didn't have the part, but it was on order and would be available in a few days. In fact they figured I could come back in Monday evening.
No problem.

Some residual fuel smell from the pump replacement, which they told me about in advance; I told them I'd just vent the sunroof. (Again, First World problems.)

That was a silly comment. 10k extra for better suspension, brakes, engine, turbo, etc... kinda seems worth it to me. If you drove the car you would notice a difference. sitting in it is not enough to make a decision.

Last edited:

TyTurbo

Passed Driver's Ed
+1 for the Monster mats! Makes it so much easier to keep the floorboards clean.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
For anyone else who wants to see exactly how their car was equipped from the factory, and doesn't have the original Monroney (window) sticker because you bought used, or dealer didn't give it to you when you bought new.. you can replicate it *exactly* at this link. It produces an exact duplicate of the original sticker. Save in pdf format. Cool stuff.

http://www.wikilender.com/volkswagen-window-sticker/