GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Not much but did argue with the shop about a couple things with the GTI, made some decisions and moving forward. In other decisions, scooping up my Mom's Kia for my other half to drive, since the Cooper went boom and she needs wheels. Mom wasn't using the Kia it like she thought she would, she just prefers to drive her older Honda Pilot. I'm going this weekend up to Idaho to pick it up. Not a fan of Korean cars by any means, and would of much rather spent the money on a similarly priced Chaser I was looking at. This is her car to drive though, and it scores me brownie points for thinking about her car needs instead of just mine all the time lol.

Reactions: krs

Albee

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
PXL_20230915_091257722.jpg
Cut off one 7 because I was struggling to hold 77 mph. I had to turn the cruise control off to see the odometer. Wife was steering while taking picture.

Cemetery

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
e36m/e46m/mk7r
Brought a new one home- 2017 MT. I have been off this forum for about 3 years after my GTI was totaled. Since then I have had a B8 S4, a MK2 TT VR6, B5 Passat, and an e36 M3 (that I still have) Hopefully this one I keep around longer :).

Since I have been out of the loop for awhile... is crank walk still a thing? I'd like to get a tune and suspect I would need a clutch, but would like to keep this well into 100k miles. Is the Sachs clutch considered mild enough to avoid this? I wont be going beyond a stg 1 tune with this.

golfr.jpg

Last edited:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Brought a new one home 2017 MT . I have been off this forum for about 3 years after my GTI is totaled. since then I have had a B8 S4, a MK2 TT VR6, B5 Passat, and an e36 M3 (that i still have) Hopefully this one I keep around longer :).

Since I have been out of the loop for awhile... is crank walk still a thing? I'd like to get a tune and suspect I would need a clutch, but would like to keep this well into 100k miles. Is the Sachs clutch considered mild enough to avoid this? I wont be going beyond a stg 1 tune with this.

View attachment 290673
Pretty sure this guy is related to @riceburner

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Rattle came back this morning, sounds like Neil Peart possessed the wastegate and is beating the hell out of the hi-hat with it.

On an added note, I guess this really shows how much VW relies on the wastegate and diverter to control the turbo on this cars. I had a few other cars, including an 05 GLI that I rarely every heard the diverter letting air out at partial throttle lift off as in this car, and the rattling is constantly on par with the diverter sounds on this one. On partial lift off and with TC/ESC engagement.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Brought a new one home- 2017 MT. I have been off this forum for about 3 years after my GTI was totaled. Since then I have had a B8 S4, a MK2 TT VR6, B5 Passat, and an e36 M3 (that I still have) Hopefully this one I keep around longer :).

View attachment 290673
Welcome back, I would definitely recommend a clutch with tune and since MT. I run ACT clutches, you will probably want the ACT VW9 -HDSS kit to reliably hold stage 1 power. I ran that clutch at Stage 2 for 60k miles or so with no worries until I let my other half drive it lol (long story).

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI

View attachment 290673

I’m on factory clutch on my 2017. Going close to 20K now. Stage 1 high torque

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Rattle came back this morning, sounds like Neil Peart possessed the wastegate and is beating the hell out of the hi-hat with it.
If it sounds like Tom Sawyer, let it roll!

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Pulled my plugs. They were dry but heavy soot. Gonna try these Ruths for the very first time. All 4 out of the box gapped at 32. Tightened them up just a little. Does this make me stage 3?

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
So I’m 💯 percent sure i busted my oil pan tonight; i wont Know more until tomorrow due to weather, car is parked and locked up.. how bad is this job? I dont Really feel like spending a few hundred dollars at a shop for a $100 steel Pan from urotuning or wherever i buy It from.. what are everyone’s experiences?

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
So I’m 💯 percent sure i busted my oil pan tonight; i wont Know more until tomorrow due to weather, car is parked and locked up.. how bad is this job? I dont Really feel like spending a few hundred dollars at a shop for a $100 steel Pan from urotuning or wherever i buy It from.. what are everyone’s experiences?
I did it in my parking space. I did not f*** anything up. Pretty easy.
Torque spec/pattern for plastic pan.
*edit*Also recommend a new baffle. I did not get it.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Getting her towed back to the house then I’ll be able to look at the damage
IMG_5518.jpeg