GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Man I’m having terrible luck with parts lately. Replaced my upper grille because the red strip was peeling and there was no way to remove it to wrap or paint it without the clips all breaking. Aaaaaand the color is way off 😠 . Not tornado red.

View attachment 274190

View attachment 274191

Between this, my new BMP lights having issues, and my new tires being massively delayed and screwing up my bday weekend…. This week is testing me.
Birthday weekend? What are you 12? I never thought the red line was to match the tornado red paint. I’d keep it.

Reactions: krs

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
@mrmatto you can def wrap that shit

Mine is:

Kinda of a pain but with some creativity it’s been on there since July with no issues

Washed her today: nothing new at this time
663F5763-0C92-41E1-BC08-5ED39F959F7D.jpeg

Attachments

• EF2F8D32-6E28-4F92-8AAD-A43480259E38.jpeg
    EF2F8D32-6E28-4F92-8AAD-A43480259E38.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 40

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
My old one matches my Tornado Red paint. And the stripes in the headlights match the Tornado Red paint too. 🤷‍♂️ Maybe it’s all just a bunch of coincidences. I believe the calipers are Tornado Red too.

Edit: Here are stock pics. You can see it’s all supposed to match.
E12BFDC2-DC3A-4C99-B79C-E8B3469BF9F0.jpeg

Mine looks like it matches, the headlight is a little darker, but I think that’s just from the lens.

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Valid point, mine is a 2016 with 100k miles in I’m sure the plastic has faded some.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Pulled the trigger on a extremely low mileage junkyard transmission today, $745 seemed too good to be true.

Drove straight from work to pick it up and got a call when I was 56 minutes into the hour drive there…

“Hey that transmission has a cracked case”.

Sicckkkkk. So anyway, I bought it for $80 & now I have a destroyed trans to steal parts off for my other destroyed trans.
0028CBB2-D3C1-4B04-9439-116500049A48.jpeg

0A808241-0FBE-4AC4-8D51-CB81CD5A1930.jpeg

Also talked to DKM again today during lunch, and they sounded like they’d help out in someway. Said they’d call back, so I didn’t bother calling FCP.

Business hours came and went, and now it’s the weekend so forward momentum is stopped again.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Pulled the trigger on a extremely low mileage junkyard transmission today, $745 seemed too good to be true.

Drove straight from work to pick it up and got a call when I was 56 minutes into the hour drive there…

“Hey that transmission has a cracked case”.

Sicckkkkk. So anyway, I bought it for $80 & now I have a destroyed trans to steal parts off for my other destroyed trans.View attachment 274212
Also talked to DKM again today during lunch, and they sounded like they’d help out in someway. Said they’d call back, so I didn’t bother calling FCP.

Business hours came and went, and now it’s the weekend so forward momentum is stopped again.
Killer price for just the input/main shaft in the end!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Killer price for just the input/main shaft in the end!

Yeah it was hard to keep cool and act indifferent when they said they’d take “core value”.

So now I’ve potentially got all the internals, shift tower, axle cups, shim set, ect as spares for next to nothing. According to FCP by way of VW parts manual most of that is unobtainable.

The transmission code is different, but it says MQ350 on the shifter and visually looks the same as my original transmission, with the exception of Audi logos all over both sides of the case. Hopefully it still has crystal clear OEM fill 75w gear oil inside, since it’s been on a shelf since 2016 (again, supposedly & claimed 3,600 miles).

My neighbor also grabbed a $200 Mk6 trans while we were there, so that’ll be a rainy day YouTube video tearing it down to compare Mk7 vs mk7 internal revisions for science.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Bruh that isn't a cracked case that's a gearset with some aluminum chunks around them got damn. I haven't even managed one that bad!

Did I mention I hate interior work. I'd much rather be rebuilding a motor than dealing with seats. Pretty sure the car these came from had a door removed and the seat base got soaked by the weather. I've never seen foam that was so drenched. I've been dosing them in cleaner and wringing them out.
View attachment 274215
If my Mk4 isn't done by Monday I have a tough decision to make. My tools get crated up Thursday. It's a Jolf now with every handling upgrade imaginable. It's by far my favorite car I own lol.
View attachment 274216

Find a friend with a barn, prep it for storage and tuck it away. You’ll be miles ahead 5-10 years from now when you dust it off and dig back into it.

I wish I would’ve done that with my ‘93 Cummins. I sold it for $15,500 in 2017 & you can’t buy anything for that anymore.