GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
@mrmattolsen i have that tool, I’m in the panhandle though

i played with more wrap today. I had To trim the rear trunk piece to fit the full size spare

Attachments

• A1D65D56-6286-4A53-86C1-76F0FD1F1C98.jpeg
    A1D65D56-6286-4A53-86C1-76F0FD1F1C98.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 62

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I don't know much about those. Do they respond well to mods? Lots of tuning options available? I guess it's all through Hondata.

im not sure the options of tuning on the newer Hondas but there is a guy locally who specializes in Hondata dyno tuning here

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I can't afford autocross, my wife would kill me. Needing extra tires and pads and calipers and a new suspension setup. Lol I already fill up twice a week on full E and change my oil every 5k and plugs every 10k. Adding that to the list would yeild me a divorce. I'll stick to GranTurismo for my autocross fix, but I'd love to spectate. 😅

At least come out and I'll taxi you around the course.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Super easy. Watch a couple YouTube videos and you’ll see. DAP has a good walk-through. 4 bolts and some grease.

I like to clean everything really well with brake cleaner and a brush. The smoother everything moves the better.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I like to clean everything really well with brake cleaner and a brush. The smoother everything moves the better.
Yeah, I spent some time with some grease cleaner and wires brushes to get it to like-new condition. Lots of buildup in spots. Cleaned and re-greased the caliper slides too.

The hardest part is torquing the damn caliper carrier. At some point I just didn’t have the room or ability to tighten it anymore. Even with the wheel turned, 148 ft-lb is tough to hit PLUS the 90 degrees after that. But I think it’ll stay together lol.

Last edited:

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I don't know much about those. Do they respond well to mods? Lots of tuning options available? I guess it's all through Hondata.
I don't either, this was my first experience. He installed a base map from Hondata, a lot more cumbersome than what we are used to with Cobb. The car sounds and drove fine after the install, but I think he should probably get a proper tune.

helushune

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
Yeah, I spent some time with some grease cleaner and wires brushes to get it to like-new condition. Lots of buildup in spots. Cleaned and re-greased the caliper slides too.

The hardest part is torquing the damn caliper carrier. At some point I just didn’t have the room or ability to tighten it anymore. Even with the wheel turned, 148 ft-lb is tough to hit PLUS the 90 degrees after that. But I think it’ll stay together lol.
A lift makes it infinitely easier to work on. There might be some DIY Auto Shops in your area or near by that allows lift rentals like Stew's Garage I used to visit all the time in WA. They generally have a bunch of tools there but call and say you work on VW and ask if you can bring specialty tools like triple square. I once tried to use an OBD2 reader at Stew's which asked "Is this a Volkswagen?" after plugging it in. I selected "Yes" and it told me to get a different OBD2 reader.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
A lift makes it infinitely easier to work on. There might be some DIY Auto Shops in your area or near by that allows lift rentals like Stew's Garage I used to visit all the time in WA. They generally have a bunch of tools there but call and say you work on VW and ask if you can bring specialty tools like triple square. I once tried to use an OBD2 reader at Stew's which asked "Is this a Volkswagen?" after plugging it in. I selected "Yes" and it told me to get a different OBD2 reader.
I made do with the fronts. I'm a little concerned with the rears because there's just no room to do much of a turn with a breaker bar or torque wrench. TBD. Maybe it's one of those things that will work better once I actually get in there and do it.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Finally. Found, printed and Installed my ideal cobb AP mount!

Link to Mount STL File

Printed with Prusament PETG on the Prusa Mini. 100% infill for rigidity. I used strategically placed zip ties to hold it on because I wasn't able to get any tapes to stick to the PETG. Took 2 hours and 30 minutes. No supports. 5mm brim to make sure it stuck to the build plate. Using a Scosche Magicmount Magnetic dash mount to hold the Accessport. Have yet to run the wire. I plan on running it through the vent that this clips too. I will be reprinting this using ASA to make sure it doesn't warp during the summer or while cranking the heat during the winter

Attachments

• 20220113_210450.jpg
    20220113_210450.jpg
    497.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 20220113_210442.jpg
    20220113_210442.jpg
    518 KB · Views: 70
  • 20220113_210500.jpg
    20220113_210500.jpg
    765.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
@904mk7 I might bribe you to be my navigator since this will be my first AutoX event LOL

I got you, man. I should be doing the novice walk through and I'll help you get going. Don't be nervous, just have fun. I've been autocrossing and tracking for decades and I'm still mediocre. No one cares. Just have fun.