GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What could have caused this damage?? Its a brand new car...

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
A pillar is road debris......ask me how I know.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Sucks that it happened to a new car.

Yeah, I too would not put my cars through those high pressure touchless autowashes unless it's my daily driver that I don't care.
High pressure does no good for the car. I run my daily driver through my local gas station autowash that has foam bristles which I am sure will swirl the car over time. But, I don't look at the car in such detail and washes the car better than other autowashers so I use it every 2 weeks or so. When I get home if its not freezing outside, I touch up any left over water spots with some Griot's touchless car wash.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Drove by the VW dealer late once and saw cats sitting all over the cars. They ARE known assholes and live everywhere.

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
There is no way a touch-less wash could cause that kind of damage...I'm sorry but I'm not buying it. To me, it almost looks like something was at the base of the windshield and trying to climb up onto the roof. Family of rats? ehh

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
From your first pic - - - something looks weird where the fender and door meet...?
Screenshot_2020-03-05 What could have caused this damage Its a brand new car .png

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Bumper can be adjusted - See dealer - so body shop can look at it.
Rubber looks like a Rotating brush as a car wash has beat the car. Passenger side scratches in the same direction.
Some dealers have car washers like this. I know mine in Chattanooga has one they driver service cars through.
Told them to never was mine. I add note on dash but now never go to dealer.

Rubber on windshield could be replaced. Dealer might, but will take some talking to get their buy in.
Investigate how they wash cars.

Also suggest hand wash.
2000psi power washer with 40deg nozzle.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
There is no way a touch-less wash could cause that kind of damage...I'm sorry but I'm not buying it. To me, it almost looks like something was at the base of the windshield and trying to climb up onto the roof. Family of rats? ehh

I dont have rats in my garage. Im not sure what youre looking for me to confess to but I havent laid anything or done anything there. It almost looks like there was glue and someone was wiping furiously to get it - wasnt me. Ill be the first to admit if I did something dumb or screwed up.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Do you use a coating or dressing on the windshield rubber? I used a trim shine product on mine once that left a thick coating on the rubber and when it got rubbed by something like my fingernail it would leave marks like that. Either that or someone sat on the roof of your car and slid down the a pillar or something... The paint damage is definitely from impact or something rubbing on it. Do you ever get it washed at a dealership? My dealership had a brushed car wash and got confused and annoyed whenever I requested they dont "just run it through the car wash real quick"

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Bumper can be adjusted - See dealer - so body shop can look at it.
Rubber looks like a Rotating brush as a car wash has beat the car. Passenger side scratches in the same direction.
Some dealers have car washers like this. I know mine in Chattanooga has one they driver service cars through.
Told them to never was mine. I add note on dash but now never go to dealer.

Rubber on windshield could be replaced. Dealer might, but will take some talking to get their buy in.
Investigate how they wash cars.

Also suggest hand wash.
2000psi power washer with 40deg nozzle.

The rubber is unfortunate and I wasnt too upset about that since, like you said, it can be replaced. But the bigger issue I have are the gouges and scratches in the paint.

Generally I hand wash with two buckets and have a thing in the one bucket for the dirt to settle down toso it wont get on my mitt. I just havent had time and no desire since it has been cold.

On a side note the hood feels REALLY rough compared to the rest of the panels. It feels like it needs to be clayed and then waxed. I usually do waxing by hand.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Do you use a coating or dressing on the windshield rubber? I used a trim shine product on mine once that left a thick coating on the rubber and when it got rubbed by something like my fingernail it would leave marks like that. Either that or someone sat on the roof of your car and slid down the a pillar or something... The paint damage is definitely from impact or something rubbing on it. Do you ever get it washed at a dealership? My dealership had a brushed car wash and got confused and annoyed whenever I requested they dont "just run it through the car wash real quick"
Nah I literally have done nothing to this car yet except the rainx last night and two touchless car washes. The car washes have never done anything like this to any of my other cars in the 3 years that we've been taking our cars to it.

Im sure the dealer washed it before delivery to me and also while it was on their lot. They drove it two hours to my house since they had to get it somewhere else. Ive never liked dealers washing my car either because it always comes out dirtier than when I take it lol.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Nah I literally have done nothing to this car yet except the rainx last night and two touchless car washes. The car washes have never done anything like this to any of my other cars in the 3 years that we've been taking our cars to it.

Im sure the dealer washed it before delivery to me and also while it was on their lot. They drove it two hours to my house since they had to get it somewhere else. Ive never liked dealers washing my car either because it always comes out dirtier than when I take it lol.
Interesting... I'd say there was some foul play or something then. I'd for sure take it to the dealer (I know it sucks cuz its 2 hours away, but that damage is unacceptable)

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
My neighbor had his TT’s top get slaughtered by raccoons. Could be these as well.