GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What could have caused this damage?? Its a brand new car...

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
I just hit 800 miles on this thing today and ran it through the touchless carwash before coming home from work - Ive run it through this car wash twice now in its lifetime to rinse off road grime / salt / muck. I havent noticed any of this till tonight while putting rainx on since Ill be driving in the rain this & next week.

I would assume this is from the dealer but I have no idea what they could have done to have caused any of this. On the other hand I just now noticed it (granted Ive been so busy with my wife & kid that I havent had time to really look the car over in depth)- what could I have done to have caused this? It hasnt had a handwash (by me) and it hasnt had anything really touch the car aside from driving to/from work 5 to 7 times a week for 4 weeks now.

There is paint damage on the drivers side hood corner and A pillar. Then both sides of the window trim are scratched up - it looks like a dog has been biting away at it (my car is garaged when not at work). Lastly the bumper just doesnt look like its hung right - is this common? It was a common thing with the '18 Civic SI I had.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Don't know what could cause the bite marks but the bumper already sits low (even lower if your.... lowered....). Might be hitting the parking bumper block and causing it push up. Mine is lowered and I never noticed it hitting the barrier till I was in a parking lot and noticed my lights shifting up when I parked. You'll notice that your front bumper doesn't perfectly alight when taking it on/off if you take it off.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Ive seen those marks on the rubber either side of the windscreen before, I think there was also a thread on here about it, each time I’ve read about the same damage on the rubber it was caused by a pressure washer being held too close and/or for too long!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Also I’d be inclined to say avoid rainX or your next thread will be about your wiper blades!

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Ive seen those marks on the rubber either side of the windscreen before, I think there was also a thread on here about it, each time I’ve read about the same damage on the rubber it was caused by a pressure washer being held too close and/or for too long!
Yes, a pressure washer used incorrectly on a car’s rubber trim can inflict the type of damage the OP has on the trim either side of their windscreen.

As for the marks on the paintwork - difficult to say what might’ve caused it. As it’s localised scratching, It looks as if someone has tried to remove some sort of deposits from the surface of the paintwork (bird droppings maybe?), has either used a dry or dirty cloth and /or has rubbed too hard. If that is what’s happened, next time it’d be better to use a specific product designed to remove such deposits. The paintwork marks can be corrected by polishing - ideally with a DA or rotary polishing machine and the appropriate combination of polish and pad.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
some of that could be from when the car was transported by rail/truck from mexico to your dealership.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the touchless/automatic carwash that did it, which is why I always hand wash my cars.
Me too. Only I wash my car and always by hand using a safe wash technique.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Don't know what could cause the bite marks but the bumper already sits low (even lower if your.... lowered....). Might be hitting the parking bumper block and causing it push up. Mine is lowered and I never noticed it hitting the barrier till I was in a parking lot and noticed my lights shifting up when I parked. You'll notice that your front bumper doesn't perfectly alight when taking it on/off if you take it off.

I back in every where. The bumper thing isn't a big issue, but I just noticed it today and figured I'd ask.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
What type of car wash is it and is it truly touchless? And define "had anything really touch the car" as it does look like something has been dragged over the car.
It's a gas station touchless wash that you drive into and out of but sit in your car the whole time. I've never had problems with my two Fiesta sts, civic si or my wife's hr-v here.

I've never dragged anything on the car. I haven't had time to even examine the car closely til now. I usually work everyday... Lots and lots of overtime plus I have a 18 mo old.

No way does the water spray out of this thing that hard to scratch rubber. It can't even get all the dirt off the windows. I could see if I was holding the water sprayer but it's not one of those and there are no brushes.

Last edited:

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Yes, a pressure washer used incorrectly on a car’s rubber trim can inflict the type of damage the OP has on the trim either side of their windscreen.

As for the marks on the paintwork - difficult to say what might’ve caused it. As it’s localised scratching, It looks as if someone has tried to remove some sort of deposits from the surface of the paintwork (bird droppings maybe?), has either used a dry or dirty cloth and /or has rubbed too hard. If that is what’s happened, next time it’d be better to use a specific product designed to remove such deposits. The paintwork marks can be corrected by polishing - ideally with a DA or rotary polishing machine and the appropriate combination of polish and pad.
I'm thinking the same... It wasn't done by me as I don't even have the free time to even look at my car til now lol.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Me too. Only I wash my car and always by hand using a safe wash technique.
Well I'm not letting salt sit on my car all winter. Maybe next winter will be different with my son in day care but right now if I'm not at work, I'm taking care of him. So that'll be a new luxury :).

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah, pressure washers will definitely chew up that stuff, and it does look like that type of damage vs a chemical. He could have the paint clear pretty quick (based on what I’m seeing here) with a little polishing, trim might have to be replaced.