GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What Causes the Most Strain on the DSG Clutch Packs?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I figure, in this order:

High RPM Launches
Flat Shifts
Shifts at Peak Torque
Roll-on Throttle in Higher Gears at Lower RPM

I figure I can avoid all but #2 except when I need to accelerate quickly.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I would venture to say high rpm launches are toughest on the DSG of the scenarios you listed. Probably hardest not listed would be manual shifting at the track (road course) as the DSG can get quite hot during a track session and heat is the enemy, and if you have a TCU tune that holds gears it does increase the possibility of shifting incorrectly. DSG is pretty sturdy if you aren't driving it like a getaway car all the time. Just drive and enjoy it. It would not make sense to buy a performance car and avoid using the power.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
What is flat shift?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
What is flat shift?
The term doesn't really apply to the DSG. It is a term used to describe power shifting with a manual transmission. Shifting while gas pedal is held flat to the floor. Normal shifting as you know involves letting up on the throttle as you shift gears and then resuming throttle.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
The term doesn't really apply to the DSG. It is a term used to describe power shifting with a manual transmission. Shifting while gas pedal is held flat to the floor. Normal shifting as you know involves letting up on the throttle as you shift gears and then resuming throttle.

Yea I knew for manual but thought this was a DSG discussion so I was confused...