GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weird whistle type noise...

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
I'd usually side with Bubb Rubb but I had a whistle under boost that started last "Winter" that I thought might be a tiny leak somewhere with my PCV hose to TIP connection somewhere, and then thought I had made it "go away". Well it was a freezing cold 54F here in South Carolina the other morning and what do you know, the whistle under boost is BACK. OP is your car bone stock? Was it colder than it had been during your morning drive?

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
Yes, car is stock under warranty. I am suspecting a leak somewhere but I have zero hope of it being resolved at the dealership, hence I am posting here. Now that I think about, it does seem to be more apparent on colder days. I have never noticed it until I turned the soundakator to eco mode, which was few months after I got the car so the noise might have been there all along but I haven't noticed it until then.

draftgli

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yes, car is stock under warranty. I am suspecting a leak somewhere but I have zero hope of it being resolved at the dealership, hence I am posting here. Now that I think about, it does seem to be more apparent on colder days. I have never noticed it until I turned the soundakator to eco mode, which was few months after I got the car so the noise might have been there all along but I haven't noticed it until then.

I understand your skepticism about going to the dealer.

Devils advocate though…if you go now you create a record of the issue. If something goes awry down the road, that may come in handy with a warranty claim. Just sayin.

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
Will do. I have an oil change coming up soon so I will ask them to look at it but from prior experience they are going to say it is normal or replace something completely unrelated to the issue.

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
Also, would this in any way be emission ECU recall related ? I noticed this noise right around the same time I had the recall done, just so weird for such low mileage.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
I wish we could call Click and Clack Tappet right now. That is a unique sound, definitely not a leaf...

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I wish we could call Click and Clack Tappet right now. That is a unique sound, definitely not a leaf...
RIP. What a great show

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
Ok, so I had it checked out and documented. Diagnosis: "normal turbo noise". They won't do much without any dashboard lights on. Here is the thing, this noise is random in terms of how noticeable it is. At times I can barely hear it, other times it is as loud as in the video and sometimes it is non-existent as far I can tell. Not sure what to do next. Everything else seems normal, should I just ignore this and enjoy the car ? I was planning on getting APR plus in the spring but now I am not so sure. I don't want this to become a headache down the road.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Ok, so I had it checked out and documented. Diagnosis: "normal turbo noise". They won't do much without any dashboard lights on. Here is the thing, this noise is random in terms of how noticeable it is. At times I can barely hear it, other times it is as loud as in the video and sometimes it is non-existent as far I can tell. Not sure what to do next. Everything else seems normal, should I just ignore this and enjoy the car ? I was planning on getting APR plus in the spring but now I am not so sure. I don't want this to become a headache down the road.
If it was a new noise that just started I wouldn't ignore it but I wouldn't obsess over it either. By spring when you want to tune it you will know if it's a problem.

draftgli

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

Yeah, that’s about half way what I expected they would do and say. At least you now have it documented at the dealer.

Still, I don’t agree that it’s normal. If there’s nothing obstructing the intake like @Diggs24 mentioned, I wonder if there’s a boost leak somewhere? Obviously could check clamps, connections, etc. yourself. Smoke test should rule it in or out faster.

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
So I did some 3rd gear pulls to monitor for any boost leaks via OBDeleven. Couldn’t data log on the IPhone but live data specified and actual were spot on. Both maxed around 33 psi, about 65 degrees out so around 18 psi, which is in-line what these cars supposed to be. At least that’s that.