GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weird whistle type noise...

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
I have a stock 2019 GLI DSG with about 6K miles on the ODO. Today I noticed something really strange. While driving in the morning I heard a loud whistle sound under WOT acceleration, not the usual turbo sound but more of an electric car acceleration noise. It preceded the turbo whoosh and I was able to replicate it about 5 times before it completely went away...Anyone have a clue what it could have been ? It was very distinct. Just curious.

EDIT: So I looked at some videos and it sounds like the siren of death on the early revisions :(.

Last edited:

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
OK, so I went out for a drive trying to get a video but couldn't replicate the noise whatsoever :confused:. No warning lights, oil level is fine, no smoke, boost is fine. FWIW, it sounded like a supercharger between 3-5K RPM under moderate acceleration. It gradually went away and became more faint with each acceleration attempt. I tried revving it in neutral as well yesterday but it did not make any weird noises under no load...

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
I checked the intake, everything looks fine. It did it again today, randomly and only twice...I tried taking a video but I couldn't replicate it. It sounds exactly as someone would quickly whistle at a dog and it goes away. Oil temps were about 180-190, merging on the highway on throttle.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Are you sure this isn't the sound of your turbo in the exhaust when the flaps open? Are you in sport mode?

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
Are you sure this isn't the sound of your turbo in the exhaust when the flaps open? Are you in sport mode?

I am always in sport or manual mode, but this noise is not your normal turbo noise. It is literally a whistle sound. I never heard a turbo sound like this. It spools just fine right after and you can hear that too. It is a random second long whistle when I get on throttle. It doesn't sound mechanical to me.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Man that’s weird. Could it be some high speed scraping sounds from the turbo?

im also gonna guess there’s some debris in the intake. I know u said that you inspected it. But it’s just my best guess.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Did you remove the 6 exhaust whistles?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

^ @StockblockGLI - he's referring to the CAM changover @ 3K which creates an audible sound. It's possible this is what you noticed. on my previous, DSG GTI whenever I downshifted to 3rd and decelerated via engine braking, I would notice the cam switchover as it went below 3K everytime. See if you can test that theory out... both accelerating in 3rd and decelerating in 3rd past the 3K RPM threshold.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Everybody is forgetting the whistle went away and hasn't come back. @Diggs24 was probably right about a leaf or something in the intake.

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
OK the noise is back and I am at a complete loss...I turned off the soundakator via OBD11 so it is not it. I checked the intake box, took out the snow guard, put it back in...Noise is still there. No lose clamps or any obvious leaks. It happens around 3K and lasts about a 1-2 seconds. The sound is something like a dentist drill or a quick whistle (like at a dog). It is most obvious in S mode at around 80 percent pedal input. No power loss and no dashboard lights. I was going to take it to the dealer but I am assuming they will just say it is normal. Any thoughts on this ?