GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wear Indicators - What do you think? What does Michelin think?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
In this article Michelin states the wear indicators should not lead to automatic tire replacement. I agree with the performance in dry, but it only takes a second in the wet with low tread to end a life or total a car. Is it worth the risk to get a few 1,000 miles? Regarding my wife it is not worth it for me.

Also with low tread the noise from many tires increases. I will be changing my RE97 OE tires as they are at wear indicators but are also noisy at 70mph.

What do you think about Michelin comments.

I guess works in places it does not rain.

Link Below

Michelin Calls the Three-Millimeter Tire Change Rule Costly and Harmful

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
You would think Michelin would get a greater economic benefit from supporting tread wear indicators as it encourages drivers to buy tires more often, but the fact that they are claiming you should keep your tires longer to me shows that there is a strong likelihood of substance being behind that claim. That $7.66 billion is money that would be taken away from Michelin and other tire company's income.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
You would think Michelin would get a greater economic benefit from supporting tread wear indicators as it encourages drivers to buy tires more often, but the fact that they are claiming you should keep your tires longer to me shows that there is a strong likelihood of substance being behind that claim. That $7.66 billion is money that would be taken away from Michelin and other tire company's income.

I am surprised Michelin would take this risk to publicly make this statement. The wear indicators are government mandates and if a tire manufacturer is suggesting you run the tires beyond this, I would think they are opening up for legal issue should people follow these suggestions and injuries occur. We are sue happy in the USA.