Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Waiting to see if there are any long term negative effects on the MK VII

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Not sure which route i want to take yet

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters

\w/

Ready to race!
How many of you are waiting to modify your car? why?

biscuiteater40

Passed Driver's Ed
I waited about a couple of months before I put on the VWR sports springs. A few weeks for tint. Waited a year before I got it tuned. I figured 20k miles is close enough to 30k so might as well. Silly me, don't wait.

Betty - 2015 VW Golf GTI Autobahn - DBP - 6sp MT

DUSlider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16' GTI SE/PP
I'm coming from a 2008 Rabbit which was moded with CAI, ECU, exhaust, lowering suspension and rsb, as far as performance.

Some thing didn't go right (Suspension and weird issue with ECU tune) to the point that I'm not sure I want to do anything to the GTI. It has plenty of power to get in trouble with and I don't feel like breaking stuff.

The only thing I'm possibly considering is JB1 and a RSB. I got new wheels but otherwise thats it. It's so much better of a car compared to the Mk5 Rabbit that I'm not feeling inclined to do anything at this point.

VWTURBOFAM

Ready to race!
I would be totally happy with a JB1 and downpipe IF: it could remove speed/rev-limiter. JB4 may remove both, not sure, as it's not out yet. I go back and forth with either getting the Eurodyne tune NOW (since it's been released for the 2016's), or waiting it out for the JB4.

With JB1 and downpipe, the car is fast enough for me as a daily. I also take into consideration the fact that it's a FWD and the more power it gets, the less of that power is controlled. I think about the money I can save NOT upgrading it anymore and putting that money into my next up and coming car.......

But we'll see....prob get a Tune next week....lol See, I told you I go back and forth!!

\w/

Ready to race!
A lot of warranty concerns.

i'm simply not sure which route i want to take, plus i'll let everyone else be the guinea pig and test out the mods for the new platform :D

\w/

Ready to race!
I suppose this would be a good place to explain the JB1 will not ever affect warranty since you can remove it with no trace of it being there physically, or within the ECU.

Lol yes, thank you. i think the JB1 / Neuspeed module, flash tunes and warranty discussions have been beaten into the ground on this forum :cool:

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Lol yes, thank you. i think the JB1 / Neuspeed module, flash tunes and warranty discussions have been beaten into the ground on this forum :cool:

And yet we have 60% of the people on your poll waiting to mod because they are afraid of warranty issues, even though there is a proven mod that makes the car what it should have been from the factory and it doesn't affect warranty ;)

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
I waited 20K miles (OK... 19.5K, but I could only wait so long) to tune so that I had reasonable confidence I didn't have any major engine defects. This was my unscientific approach but it seemed reasonable. I made sure to drive the car hard at times so that if my turbo (or something else) was defective, I would get it replaced prior to tuning.

YMMV

\w/

Ready to race!
And yet we have 60% of the people on your poll waiting to mod because they are afraid of warranty issues, even though there is a proven mod that makes the car what it should have been from the factory and it doesn't affect warranty ;)

i think they want the full blown flash

I waited 20K miles (OK... 19.5K, but I could only wait so long) to tune so that I had reasonable confidence I didn't have any major engine defects. This was my unscientific approach but it seemed reasonable. I made sure to drive the car hard at times so that if my turbo (or something else) was defective, I would get it replaced prior to tuning.

YMMV

not a bad approach. it seems like a lot of people are getting a flash within the first 1,000 miles. That never made sense to me:confused:

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
i think they want the full blown flash

But they can get the full blown flash whenever because you can sell the JB1 for 85-90% of the price you bought it for. In fact, just a few days ago one sold for $400 shipped. That is nearly the same price that the gentlemen bought it for. So it costs about $50 to have a transformed car, with no warranty worries. Still not seeing a reason to not have the JB1 :)

\w/

Ready to race!
But they can get the full blown flash whenever because you can sell the JB1 for 85-90% of the price you bought it for. In fact, just a few days ago one sold for $400 shipped. That is nearly the same price that the gentlemen bought it for. So it costs about $50 to have a transformed car, with no warranty worries. Still not seeing a reason to not have the JB1 :)

what if i told you VW could find out whether or not someone had a plug in like a JB1 or Neuspeed?

VWTURBOFAM

Ready to race!
Proof is in the pudding. This has been discussed already. Yes the can see some parameters are off stock numbers, but it would require proof that it was actually connected to ECU. I'm pretty sure that VW would rather fix those few cars thar are tagged with "alleged piggyback", than to go to court and having to prove it caused the issue.

TroyScherer

Ready to race!

In some way or another I wanted to check each of the options you listed.

In some ways I am weighing the pros/cons of each of the modifications in each area. So part of it is warranty and part of it is cost-vs-performance. (Wheels, Short Shift, Tune, Bracing, etc...)