GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW drivers are Hipsters!

vahdyx

Ready to race!
So I spoke with a couple engineers at my job that are into tuner cars like myself. I currently own a SS/TC, but anyway...

Engineer A; Drives a Hyundai Genesis Coupe and I respect the styling a lot. It looks really nice.

Engineer B; Drives a EvoX and styling wise it's stock, lowered but it's stock. He has a lot of engine work done though. He says it has 394 AWHP

They asked me what car I was considering and I stated I want a GTI. They both gave me a look, like a look of disappointment.

I told them I don't want it for speed, but for the quality etc etc.

Anyway they liked it after I explained why I don't like my Cobalt SS anymore.

So the point of this is, they both stated they have VW friends and hung out with people from the VW scene. They both said they don't seem like your traditional tuners. They seem all trendy and hipster like. They said they think VW aftermarket styling is weird and tasteless in their opinion. Both of them are Asian car lovers.

Do you guys consider yourself hipster or trendy?

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
One of them drives a wannabe Infiniti, should have been your first clue.

I could see their point with the Jetta but thats about it. The GTI is a lot more grown-up than a lot of other competitors, for example the MS3

Larry70454

Ready to race!
I do agree, the VW tuner scene is very odd to me. I came from a completely different background of cars and now that I have a GTI I am confused. Where's all the performance related mods? It's all about styling and the whole "hellaflush" thing is bad taste imo. I like a drop, but I like about 1-2 fingers of clearance.

vahdyx

Ready to race!
We have an expression here in Colorado, but it's hard to describe if you're not raised here. But we call them Boulder. Because they're like trendy, go green, type of people. You know what I mean. Like cool, but different. It's really hard to explain. I guess like Jazzy or poetry readers... I dont know. I wish I can just paint a picture with my words, but it's not working right.

Anyway,

Its funny you say Jetta because their friends both have Jetta's

Larry70454

Ready to race!
This makes me lol. I think its true of your used buyers, but not your new buyers. Think about the guys that are just buying an Mk5 now or bought a new Mk6. Totally different market.

Everyone of my friends that sees my GTI makes a joke, "So when are you gonna put some 20's on it and put airbags on it?"

Whether it's true or not, its definitely known for its weird aftermarket scene.

McQueen77

Banned
I am one of the coolest, hippest guys ever. So you know, there's that.

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
who cares. everyone in the scene has their own personal style.

if it's about taste, i consider myself "euro". i'm fully russian, born and raised. i have expensive taste. prefer a nice steak dinner over a burger and hot dogs, appreciate quality clothes and would rather spend my night dancing at an upscale night club over hanging out at the bowling alley, rock concert, or dive bar.

i like to have a "clean" and fresh car. i like style over performance. my car is never going to be loud and over the top but definitely clean and, in my opinion, tastefully modded even though some of you don't agree with the stance scene i don't think many people can deny the fact that it DOES look good when done right.

would i consider myself to be a "hipster"? absolutely not because if you've ever been to brooklyn or the lower east side you would know hipsters are generally grungy, unkempt, pretentious kids who live their lives "ironically".

trendy? maybe. not necessarily in the sense that i follow trends easily, but in the sense that i appreciate quality, a good fashion sense, and, being a dj, i'm always up to date musically and often look for the next thing to expose in my sets to stay ahead of the game.

i'd say most VW drivers just have good taste. you can't really lump people into a category based on the car they drive though.