GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vibration at highway speed since getting new wheels

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Well took it in today…they did not install the hubcentric rings I paid for. They balanced my tires and rotated them and had to order my rings from Ohio. Will get them installed in a few days.
What was wrong with the hubcentric rings you paid for?

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
What was wrong with the hubcentric rings you paid for?
Good question! I wonder if the guys in the bays even look at the entire work order? They have one guy that hands out the orders to a runner to go get a car and then the runner hands the work order to the guys doing the work. They should have seen they needed to install rings. My guess is the rings had not come in and they called me prematurely. If took a long time for the wheels to come in. They did install the conical bolts because they gave me the socket to remove them. I mean, it was not even an option to NOT order those rings. You order the wheels, it is a necessary auto-order to order the rings along with the bolts. But yes, I guess I will start watching closer when they work on my car. This time I was in the first bay by the viewing window so it was pretty easy to watch.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Good question! I wonder if the guys in the bays even look at the entire work order? They have one guy that hands out the orders to a runner to go get a car and then the runner hands the work order to the guys doing the work. They should have seen they needed to install rings. My guess is the rings had not come in and they called me prematurely. If took a long time for the wheels to come in. They did install the conical bolts because they gave me the socket to remove them. I mean, it was not even an option to NOT order those rings. You order the wheels, it is a necessary auto-order to order the rings along with the bolts. But yes, I guess I will start watching closer when they work on my car. This time I was in the first bay by the viewing window so it was pretty easy to watch.
Just go out there and at least stand behind your car and observe. It's a good time to check the thickness of your brake pads while the wheels are off also.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Um. A lot comes to mind here. Not sure I’d drive them until they get fixed. And I would never go back.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
you are giving them a lot of excuses for how poorly they have treated you. here is the real answer: they don't give a shit about you or your car or your wheels or your money. I am sorry you are going through this.

but instead of just talking shit, here is my 2 cents:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAOEUH0/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_8?smid=A23ID4AZTDBV78&psc=1

Guarantee these will fix your problem(s) of vibrations, and the worst/best part about this is that it cost less than $8 and caused all this frustration

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Agree. Maybe there’s more here we haven’t heard. Every shop has screwups. The good ones make good on those when it happens. I’m reading nothing here that indicates such. I’d be one pissed off (ex) customer.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Agree. Maybe there’s more here we haven’t heard. Every shop has screwups. The good ones make good on those when it happens. I’m reading nothing here that indicates such. I’d be one pissed off (ex) customer.
I agree. We are talking about Discount Tires and generally speaking they are very good. They're in the same boat with regards to getting employees since Covid started.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
As an aside. I use plastic hub rings. Both my rear ones were cracked after my last track day. Don't think it matters since they did what they were supposed to do, correctly position the wheel to torque it down. That's why I always have an extra set on hand. In case the shop loses one or one breaks.

So when ordering, order 2 sets.

Also +1 on anti seize. Also put some on my spacers.
Another tangent : Oreillys staff had no idea what anti seize was. Finally found it myself.

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
Just go out there and at least stand behind your car and observe. It's a good time to check the thickness of your brake pads while the wheels are off also.
Well, my car only has a little less than 8,000 miles on it. I think the brakes are good. Hell there is still some marking paint on the tire tread that was on there when it was brand new, so the tires still look brand new.

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
you are giving them a lot of excuses for how poorly they have treated you. here is the real answer: they don't give a shit about you or your car or your wheels or your money. I am sorry you are going through this.

but instead of just talking shit, here is my 2 cents:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAOEUH0/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_8?smid=A23ID4AZTDBV78&psc=1

Guarantee these will fix your problem(s) of vibrations, and the worst/best part about this is that it cost less than $8 and caused all this frustration
I have been going to this place for 15 years! They have treated me beautifully and have given me lots of free stuff over the years. No need to go full bore Karen on these guys. All these folks in the bay are YOUNG. I could see the look on the middle aged managers face when I told him what had happened that he gets frustrated when they do silly stuff like this. Like I said, this place is a zoo. The kids made a mistake, they will make more during the course of their lives. I had a 2 o'clock appointment and they did not even get me in the bay until 2:55 on Black Friday. Normally the are very punctual and I am in out in a hour of my appointment. You probably should take a less angry outlook on things, not everybody is out to get you. Thanks for the link. Konig sells their own rings that actually snap in place and less likely to fall out when taking the wheels off the hub and that is what the shop ordered from Ohio.

Last edited:

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
Um. A lot comes to mind here. Not sure I’d drive them until they get fixed. And I would never go back.
I little forgiveness goes a long way! I hope you are not that demanding of yourself:). I have been going to these guys for many years and they have always been very good to me. The kids that work in the bays are changed out every few years. It is a starting place for kids doing auto work, very few people stay there for long. In 15 years, this is the first mistake these guys have made. I think I will give them a pass on this one. The car is safe to drive without them in there, it will just vibrate at high speeds. I imagine they will be here the first couple days this week and I will go get them installed.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
The added insight from many years helps us understand. I still would not drive on them.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have been going to this place for 15 years! They have treated me beautifully and have given me lots of free stuff over the years. No need to go full bore Karen on these guys. All these folks in the bay are YOUNG. I could see the look on the middle aged managers face when I told him what had happened that he gets frustrated when they do silly stuff like this. Like I said, this place is a zoo. The kids made a mistake, they will make more during the course of their lives. I had a 2 o'clock appointment and they did not even get me in the bay until 2:55 on Black Friday. Normally the are very punctual and I am in out in a hour of my appointment. You probably should take a less angry outlook on things, not everybody is out to get you. Thanks for the link. Konig sells their own rings that actually snap in place and less likely to fall out when taking the wheels off the hub and that is what the shop ordered from Ohio.
Same here. I've been going to Discount Tires for 30 years. One time a new guy screwed up balancing one of the wheels and I had to get above 45 MPH before I could feel it. By then I was on my delivery route and miles from that store. They told me to just go to the next closest store and got me in the second I got there and on my route again. Great company.