GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vibration at highway speed since getting new wheels

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
I have been going to this place for 15 years! They have treated me beautifully and have given me lots of free stuff over the years. No need to go full bore Karen on these guys. All these folks in the bay are YOUNG. I could see the look on the middle aged managers face when I told him what had happened that he gets frustrated when they do silly stuff like this. Like I said, this place is a zoo. The kids made a mistake, they will make more during the course of their lives. I had a 2 o'clock appointment and they did not even get me in the bay until 2:55 on Black Friday. Normally the are very punctual and I am in out in a hour of my appointment. You probably should take a less angry outlook on things, not everybody is out to get you. Thanks for the link. Konig sells their own rings that actually snap in place and less likely to fall out when taking the wheels off the hub and that is what the shop ordered from Ohio.
well you sound like a forgiving person. god bless you. I am not as nice of a person. may your Christmas gifts be bountiful and plenty.

you said you been going here 15 years. but what good is that when as you say "all the folks in the service bay are YOUNG." well there is your problem right there, bro. I really don't know what to tell you, you must like punishment. you know and see and observe the problem, yet you let them flagellate you.

you say, "you should have less of a bad outlook on things not everyone is out to get me"

I don't assume anyone is out to get me, however I will repeat what I have said many times before. no one is going to give a shit about your car as much as you do. you expected $40,000 service on your $30,000 car and you got a kid out of high school doing bare minimum service and skill on a car he's never seen or worked on before.
no one is out to get me, but shit happens, all the time. be prepared for it, don't be surprised because a place you been going to for 15 years suddenly hired people who don't do good work anymore because the manager lost his best employees, maybe ask that question.

enjoy your 2021 vibrating car.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
well you sound like a forgiving person. god bless you. I am not as nice of a person. may your Christmas gifts be bountiful and plenty.

you said you been going here 15 years. but what good is that when as you say "all the folks in the service bay are YOUNG." well there is your problem right there, bro. I really don't know what to tell you, you must like punishment. you know and see and observe the problem, yet you let them flagellate you.

you say, "you should have less of a bad outlook on things not everyone is out to get me"

I don't assume anyone is out to get me, however I will repeat what I have said many times before. no one is going to give a shit about your car as much as you do. you expected $40,000 service on your $30,000 car and you got a kid out of high school doing bare minimum service and skill on a car he's never seen or worked on before.
no one is out to get me, but shit happens, all the time. be prepared for it, don't be surprised because a place you been going to for 15 years suddenly hired people who don't do good work anymore because the manager lost his best employees, maybe ask that question.

He went to Discount Tires. They are having the same problem as everyone else getting employees during the pandemic. He has the correct rings on the way so he won't have to put up with the vibration for long.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
I would never take my gti to a place with discount in the name but I guess that's where we agree to disagree

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
McDonalds sells more cheeseburgers than anyone but can they call themselves the burger kings? are they even as good as five guys?

might as well take your car to Walmart auto section
Fast food is subjective. We have individual tastes.

How about you go to your tire store of choice and I'll go to mine.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Discount is one of the few places that uses the latest Hunters and load balances tires. I’d bet your Indy shop doesn’t. Been tracking for three decades with Discount mounting and balancing, never had an issue. On the few occasions I needed an Indy shop to do repairs or replace tires, I’ve almost always had issues.

These are tough times for every area of labor, it stands to reason that there will be some issues in nearly any realm these days. But Discount is excellent, by experience. Oh, and you drive a literal People’s Car. Probably okay to use Discount Tire, you goofball.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
I would never take my gti to a place with discount in the name but I guess that's where we agree to disagree
Unless you do it yourself or know a shop well, the techs mounting wheels and tires are going to be the newest and usually youngest employees. That is where budding mechanics get their start. Hopefully they are properly trained and supervised.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

You wouldn't take your German economy car to a place with discount in the name?

Weird flex, but whatever. Would Tire Kingdom make you feel more special?

This way to the waiting room, Sire.

Last edited:

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG

First mistake and bad experience in 15 years! They have always had young folks working in there. Like I said people don't stay in a job like that for long, they move on to bigger and better things. 5 years is experienced in these places. By you calling me BRO, I can tell you are young too. I am with everybody else, it is a $28000 economy car I purchased new in March and it is paid for, why would I take it to an Indy shop for new wheels? I can lay odds that I will go another 15 years and never have another issue with Discount Tire.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
the difference between your German economy car and mine is that I treat my German economy car like a Porsche while you treat yours like a Skoda and if you honestly don't think that these little choices like where you choose to get your car serviced are going to effect the enjoyment and longevity of your vehicle in the long run, then again, we can agree to disagree. perspective is everything. I
understand that these cars are not to be treated like humans and ultimately they are tools, but I have learned my lesson in the past to treat them with more respect and you get a better product out of it. happy motoring, drive safe.

So you service your VW at the Porsche dealer? Yeah, I didn't think so. I remember the $1400 30k service bills vividly.

And AGAIN, if you think Tire Kingdom is better than Discount Tire, because one has the word discount in it, I'd guess that you get taken by every shop you go to.

I treat my VW like a car. It gets all the proper service with OEM parts.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've always treated every car I've owned the same. With the best care and preventative maintenance I could. Always changed fluids early kept the car immaculately clean etc.

And I don't have a problem with any company's name where I have taken my car.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
You can always buy your tires from America's Tire... I don't know what a difference will it make other than paying a mark up at another location. I have been using Discount Tire since the late 90's with no problems what so ever... I had tires replaced by their certs that other places would had smiled at me for just trying. Their services now are not the best because of the lack of workers. But that is everywhere, not just them.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You can always buy your tires from America's Tire... I don't know what a difference will it make other than paying a mark up at another location. I have been using Discount Tire since the late 90's with no problems what so ever... I had tires replaced by their certs that other places would had smiled at me for just trying. Their services now are not the best because of the lack of workers. But that is everywhere, not just them.
Exactly. And that's not to mention that it is a crappy job that doesn't pay much.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Exactly. And that's not to mention that it is a crappy job that doesn't pay much.

That's why I find and tip the person that does my mounting, balancing and alignments.

I've been going to the same place Tires Plus for 3 years and they always make time to get my car aligned and have promptly fixed any issue, which have only been alignment related at this point, and only because I ask for allotment specs well outside spec for front camber and toe settings.