GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

USA GTI TopSpeed

SSnide

Passed Driver's Ed
So.... The latest Car and Driver lists the mk7 GTI (North American) version having a top speed of 125 mph. Is this true? Is it really not capable of 150+ like the European edition? Not that I plan on approaching that speed... Just curious.

gtiw7

Ready to race!
must be a typo.

somebody correct me if i am wrong; the top speed is just over 150mph.

maybe you read it wrong? 152mph? :)

typo?! I'm pretty sure these kind of marketing content is reviewed several times by different people :)

also APR stated on there website that stock speed is limited, as you can see in acceleration test there were no times recorded for the stock beyond 124MPH http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_gen3_mqb.html

good for you US folks a tune will take that off

CdnX

Ready to race!
Humm, not that I'll hit +100mph in mine (whenever I get it) but I wouln't expect it to be limited below 155mph. If it is limited to 130 then is isn't much faster than my single cyl dirt bike, slower in 0-60 actually lol.

jjm51

Ready to race!
typo?! I'm pretty sure these kind of marketing content is reviewed several times by different people :)

also APR stated on there website that stock speed is limited, as you can see in acceleration test there were no times recorded for the stock beyond 124MPH http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_gen3_mqb.html

good for you US folks a tune will take that off

good gawd middle-age is a b....! :eek:

i am sure i heard on many youtube reviews that the top speed was 'limited' to 152mph or so. i am also thinking everyone of these reviews was a foreign one. lol

i didn't think of that. :confused:

thanks for the catch gtiw7.

also, i am not too sure i'd want to drive my gti that fast. i used to get my audi s4 uo over 120mph quite a bit. but, i was a younger man then. as my dad used to say; 'the older you get, the more imagination you get.' he said this once after he asked me why i don't wear a helmet on my vespa going 70mph+. that was 30+ years ago. i wear a helmet now and do about 50mph max on my old dear scooter and thinking of going even slower. lol

mittenz

Ready to race!
Top Speed

My Canadian MK7 GTI hit 231 kph on a road trip I did a few weeks back.. that equates to 143.5 MPH on a flat and relatively level road. Pretty confident it will go quicker as you can hold it in 5th (DSG) until almost 200.

Whackamac

Ready to race!
I have done 142 in my apr tuned US spec GTI with a manual. I was in 5th and still had 6th gear left.

I probably will not go faster until I do suspension and tires. 160mph+ is realistic seeing the car felt like it had much more at 140mph and was still accelerating nicely. I need a longer road....

golfiegti23

Passed Driver's Ed
The US spec GTI has a top speed limiter at 124, but with a tune from APR, Revo, UNI, etc, the limiter is disabled. So, our top speed is truly the same as Euro spec, we just don't have access to it until the limiter is disabled. Also, I have read a Car And Driver review of the Euro spec GTI and GTD and they took a stock GTI 158mph.

James75

Go Kart Champion
I read that to. In Europe at least I think they are conservative when talking about top speeds, they don't want to be seen to be promoting speed. I've also seen stock GTD's on YouTube doing the 0 to 60 run in 6.5 secs. I believe they have the GTD up to about 150mph?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whackamac

Ready to race!
Wow... I can see an APR tuned GTI making 170 (aero permitting)... Now if I could find a long enough stretch of road... :)

I definitely would not attempt on stock suspension or the all-seasons. 142 was good enough on those.

Hooklyn

Banned
Like everyone has said it is governed to 200km/h or 124 mph. My MK6 and MK5 were supposed to be governed at 129mph but I exceeded it on both many times so...

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion
must be a typo.

somebody correct me if i am wrong; the top speed is just over 150mph.

maybe you read it wrong? 152mph? :)

Europe's models have higher rated horse power, not sure if this is do to different testing standards or different fuel. Shouldn't be enough to drop the top speed that much though. Either way you can only go that speed on a track.

ihmix

Ready to race!
I had no idea that the US strangled the top speed on these cars, I presume this is a safety issue. Is there a fine if you disable the restriction obviously if caught?? Is this the same in Canada??

Golf GTD
Pure White
Dynaudio, Winter Pack, 19" Santiago Wheels, keyless, DCC.
Order date:- 19-9-14
Bw confirmed :- 02-11-14

Whackamac

Ready to race!
Europe's models have higher rated horse power, not sure if this is do to different testing standards or different fuel. Shouldn't be enough to drop the top speed that much though. Either way you can only go that speed on a track.

Unless you live where I do... :) I am usually over 100mph at least once a day if I can... Safely of course. :D

I had no idea that the US strangled the top speed on these cars, I presume this is a safety issue. Is there a fine if you disable the restriction obviously if caught?? Is this the same in Canada??

There is no fine/law where I live regarding ECU mods. California may be different, but how could they tell? They don't connect OBD when smogging cars unless something changed...