GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upgrade Clutch Stage 2 for DD

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Whats up guys. Lately my car has been driving really strange and shifts 1-2 n so on are awkward and doesnt shift smoothly. Im at 24k miles with the Home Depot DIY clutch stop. Car was purchased with 12k miles off a lease from an elderly man. This is my 1st manual so I did learn in this car. Im worried I need to change the clutch already. Shifting into to first is abit rough at times.

I have a DP on the car (no tune) could that accelerate the wear on my clutch?

Could a CEL show up due to clutch wear (transmission problem)? Its most likely the DP but wanna kno if thats possible as well.

Had it DP on for 4k miles already. Ive noticed last week when I stepped on the gas clutch of slipped abit. This trans isnt smooth.. There times where the trans like to rattle when in neutral. When I put the clutch in it goes away
I would remove the clutch stop, while it may remove what you think is dead space, it can affect engagement leading to premature wear.

In what scenario are you shifting into first, from a roll? If you're at a standstill in neutral, clutch in and go to first - do you have any issues? Can you shift through all the gears smoothly when the car is off?

Downpipe with no tune does give you a slight bump in power, but it's your driving style that would have the biggest impact in clutch wear. The more you lug the engine, the worse it is for your clutch. CEL is emissions related and you won't get one for transmission issues.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
Instead of removing the clutch stop. Why not just remove the extra washers or whatever it is to create the little extra space for clutch to disengage?

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Should've just gone with SB Stage 3 daily from the jump. What part in the SRE setup failed?

The pressure plate just didn't have the strength to keep it from slipping. The friction disk still looked good but the hot spotting on the flywheel was pretty bad. It just couldn't cut it.

Back in 2016 when i put the SRE on, I had no reason to believe it couldn't handle that level of power. I also wanted to keep the NVH down by retaining the DMF. Was also not inclined to pay the stupid amount of money SB charges for Stg 3. Hindsight is a MFer now that I am on clutch 4 though.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
The pressure plate just didn't have the strength to keep it from slipping. The friction disk still looked good but the hot spotting on the flywheel was pretty bad. It just couldn't cut it.

Back in 2016 when i put the SRE on, I had no reason to believe it couldn't handle that level of power. I also wanted to keep the NVH down by retaining the DMF. Was also not inclined to pay the stupid amount of money SB charges for Stg 3. Hindsight is a MFer now that I am on clutch 4 though.

When you first put on the SRE stg1 clutch, did you replace the DMF as well?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I hate that, basically made this thread useless, sorry whomever stumbles here later on... you and I will never know what made it failnon-active

edit: for this reason i almost never respond to threads made by new members.... I'm not your pump and dump :confused:

Jim: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pump and dump
You have a problem. Possibly that person resurrecting the thread will bring a response but I wanted him to know that the person hasn't been back in the forum in 7 months so to not be disappointed if that person doesn't respond. Most people appreciate that so if they don't get a response they will know why.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Not him, neither the OP.... i'm talking in general.... and that was a joke (and not meant to you Jim, just sent that link to try to explaining what it was, sorry you got it wrong, i was avoiding this)

I did respond and try to help the OP originally, did I not...

edit: Sadly its 50/50 fresh new members with a major issue come in and after 1-2 weeks stop posting / never update on what was the issue
I really feel bad for people that years later will be looking for solutions on google, etc, and stumble on these threads that lead nowhere... apologies if i was coarse conveying this, it wasn't directed at anyone here, as no one is truly a "new member" on this thread.... and i dont even actually avoid responding to new members, it was a joke poorly executed, obviously i happily welcome new members.

Last edited:

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I went with southbend stg 3 daily, feel like like almost OEM, little heavier, some chatter on cold starts but once warm its ok.
That's weird. My SB3 clutch is quiet at cold temps but once the fluid warms up, it sounds like a farm tractor. Not just at idle, but at @2k RPM and under.
I have the Fluidamper balancer too and if that really quiets things down, I'd hate to drive this car without it.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
That's weird. My SB3 clutch is quiet at cold temps but once the fluid warms up, it sounds like a farm tractor. Not just at idle, but at @2k RPM and under.
I have the Fluidamper balancer too and if that really quiets things down, I'd hate to drive this car without it.
my car was tractor, then i switched to motol gear 300 and no more tractor, just baby tractor

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie
I'm running South Bend Stage 2 Daily. The pedal was monumentally heavier than stock the first time I jumped into the car after install, but had much more "feel" compared to stock. Now I don't even notice the clutch as I believe it's softened quite a bit, although I do believe it's still heavier than stock.

Stock clutch felt unnaturally light... like I could press it with one finger.

I run Motul Gear 300, and have a fluidampr -- I don't notice chatter, and if I do, it's because I'm trying so hard to hear it that it could all be in my head.

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
We probably won't get an answer since that person hasn't been in the forum since September.
Yeah, I figured as much. As a long-time car forum user depending on which car I currently own, I figured I should respond to that for anyone who comes across the thread later and thinks that the SACHS SRE clutch is no good because of someone's vague/obscure assessment of it's failure.

Also I hate that I'm tagged as "new member," haha. I read through this forum quite a bit, but just don't post often.