GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

unitronic and clutches

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
I'm beginning to suspect the MK7 drivetrain does a little better than the standard 15%. Not entirely surprising given the advances in engine and fluid tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Modded euros claimed on another forum their numbers where in fact, whp.... So i don't know what to believe anymore

Yes Modded's numbers above are in WHP, but Unitronic advertises in BHP.

Similarly (but take this lightly), APR and Eurodyne HT have hit 330WHP and 400WTQ on other dyno's in other conditions.

There is a dyno thread here with some back to back comparisons of tunes all on the same day on the same dyno and it was actually the REVO car that had the best power band that day.

ModdedEuros

Go Kart Champion
Yes Modded's numbers above are in WHP, but Unitronic advertises in BHP.

Similarly (but take this lightly), APR and Eurodyne HT have hit 330WHP and 400WTQ on other dyno's in other conditions.

There is a dyno thread here with some back to back comparisons of tunes all on the same day on the same dyno and it was actually the REVO car that had the best power band that day.

Ours are at the wheels. We have the videos of the runs as well.

But one thing to note you can't compare one car to another with tunes as they use different cars, dyno's and conditions.

Best is to look at lift of that car which we demonstrated

ModdedEuros

Go Kart Champion
I never said they increased the power by ~100wtq just ~100tq. I was strictly talking crank numbers. Still a massive amount and the OP is going to be a sad sad man if he assumes Unitronic will be 100% free from clutches issues.

One thing to note actually. Our MK7 with stage 2+ is38 is still on the stock clutch :D

Daily driven as well. We will yank it and upgrade once it warms up though as we will hit the track and easily rip through that OEM clutch

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
One thing to note actually. Our MK7 with stage 2+ is38 is still on the stock clutch :D

Daily driven as well. We will yank it and upgrade once it warms up though as we will hit the track and easily rip through that OEM clutch[/QUOTE

and this is why im going unitronic....daily driven and still stock clutch...cant wait

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion

Daily driven as well. We will yank it and upgrade once it warms up though as we will hit the track and easily rip through that OEM clutch

Ha! Really?

Thats actually kind of awesome, does Unitronic offer a file without the torque limitations?

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Remember though, I did 356WTQ with JB1 turned up and they just did 344WTQ with the IS38 Software, barring any usual dyno dependencies the clutch may hold up for a bit.

I tried to get my clutch to slip (mashed in in 5th, low RPM load) with the JB1 and it did not.... yet.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Also, 354 WHP / 344 WTQ sounds like pretty solid numbers considering Unitronic admittedly runs less boost than APR/ED/etc.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
Not everyone will have clutch problems. If you do not floor it in 5th and 6th I doubt you ever would have an issue as long as you do not ride the clutch which brings me to my next point... I know I keep saying this but please make sure you do the CDV delete.

My daily driver gti is on Apr stage1. I do drive a bit agressevly but I do not really get to floor it often and I have no clutch problems.

Mr. Creasy1

Passed Driver's Ed
wont rev matching help avoid clutch wear? If I am in 6th and rev match down to 4th, I dont understand how it would put wear on my clutch

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Keep in mind, the cars with earlier build dates have a different clutch supplier then later build date cars (no confirmation yet besides a R thread comparing early GTI and R clutches). You'll notice that "generally" if someone is pushing good power, and has "no clutch issues" they are in a 2015 and quite possibly a 14 build date.

Never use someone else's car as a basis for whether your car will slip or not!

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
wont rev matching help avoid clutch wear? If I am in 6th and rev match down to 4th, I dont understand how it would put wear on my clutch

People are talking about two different things. There's two types of clutch slip:

1. Clutch slippage because there is not enough friction material on the disk itself to grab and hold the engine torque. This is due to mileage/wear or improper driving technique.
2. Clutch slippage because the clutch does not have the friction co-efficient needed to hold the power and/or the pressure plate does not have the clamping force required to keep it from slipping. This is due to increases of torque from a tune.

The two cases are COMPLETELY different topics and 99.9% of what you see on these forums are the latter case.