GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Uneven tyre wear

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
My front tyres on my Golf s 1.4tsi have worn much quicker than my rear ones 3mm against 5.5mm - I have been told that Golfs are known for this - has anyone else had this? I did buy the car at one year old from a VW dealer.

Also is it worth moving the rears to the front and buying new rears?

Many thanks

Gnasher

Ready to race!
That's standard - on a front wheel drive car the front's will always wear quicker than the rears, however this can be an advantage on your pocket.

I would suggest (and this is what I do) that you leave the tyres as they are. In time the fronts will wear out - when this happens, do the following...

1. Replace the front tyres
2. Swap the fronts to rears (and vice versa) so that the new tyres are on the back.

Then, the fronts will wear out quicker and when the fronts are worn out, repeat the above. The first 2 times you do it will be fairly close together but after that you have to pay half as much but twice as often (IE, you are replacing 2 tyres at a time rather than 4).

Also, this keeps the tyres in the industry recommended 'best tyres on the rear' which alleviates (I would guess) quite a few 'unintended oversteer' moments which happen when you change the bias of the grip from rear to front.

Z27

Ready to race!
How about tire rotation?

Z27

Ready to race!
Tire rotation isn't the tire industry recommendation as this swaps the 'grip bias' front to rear etc.

Also, it means you need to buy 4 at a time.

I've never heard this before. Thanks for the info. Need to do more research.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Tire rotation isn't the tire industry recommendation as this swaps the 'grip bias' front to rear etc.

Also, it means you need to buy 4 at a time.

Not sure I agree with this.:confused:
I have always purchased 4 tires at a time.
Tire rotation helps with even tire wear.
Without rotation you might wear a tire out earlier due to alignment issues.
Some cars have a tendancy to wear out an inner or outer shoulder more.
Tire rotation helps even this wear and get the most out of a tire.

The only time tires are not rotated is when you have different rim size front to rear and are using directional tires.
Then you do not rotate and hope they wear even.
Or you can dismount tires and move to other side.

Critical item is to keep tires rotating in the same direction no matter how you rotate. Keeping rotation the same direction keep direction on strain on belts the same and reduces belt movement and internal wear.
This part may not be an industry practice but from my experience with destructive testing I feel it is good to keep tires rotating in the same direction for their life.

To do this the cross car rotation can not be done unless you dismount the tires and flip while moving.
I know Firestone dealers now only want to rotate front to back and not across. This has changed over the years as my 20 year old Ford truck still calls for cross rotation in manual.

Industry standard.

If you drive under 10,000 miles a year - rotate tires once a year.
If you drive over this then rotate every 6 months.
Most rotations I see now are front to rear keeping tires on the same side of the car.
More rotation is better as it allows for more even tire wear.
Buy all 4 tires at same time (if you can).
If you replace a single tire try to stay with same brand and type of tire.

Tires with better tread life should run in rear.
So if you buy 2 new tires they need to go in rear.
(This is why buying 4 is important). If you drive a front wheel car and buy 2 new tires, they should go in rear. However the front drive wheels will wear faster so the tires with less tread life in front will wear our faster. Less tread and less control.
If you rotate and keep even wear, then you have a better average tread life in all corners. (Even control)
Tire Rack and Bridgestone (seperately) did much testing to determine this.

Last edited:

Gnasher

Ready to race!
http://www.tyresafe.org/media-centre/latest-news/69-motorists-get-their-tyres-%E2%80%9Cback-to-front%E2%80%9D

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/care-guide/ten-tyre-care-tips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa9hzcjdi5Q

I could go on - however both the motor and tyre industry say always put new tyres on the rear. Whilst there are some out there who recommend tyre rotation, this still changes the grip levels front and rear so really you should do as I suggested above.

Just my (and industries) 2 cents

lou06483

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Audi and VW
FWIW-

My front tyres on my Golf s 1.4tsi have worn much quicker than my rear ones 3mm against 5.5mm - I have been told that Golfs are known for this - has anyone else had this? I did buy the car at one year old from a VW dealer.

Also is it worth moving the rears to the front and buying new rears?

Many thanks
I've rotated tires every 4,000 miles religiously and have NEVER had an uneven wear issue---I started this with my first VW---1978 Rabbit Diesel 2-door 4-sp.