GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

UHP ALL Season tires

adam1991

Banned
Yes, I left out that they still need balancing, but on the rear you won't notice an out-of-balance wheel that much. So I'd say to at least balance the ones going on the front. I do them all anyway.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that maybe you got ripped off on your original balancing, one way or another. Worst case, they didn't do it at all. Best case, the wheel weights came off because they didn't do it RIGHT.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that maybe you got ripped off on your original balancing, one way or another. Worst case, they didn't do it at all. Best case, the wheel weights came off because they didn't do it RIGHT.

For the last 10 years, I only have certain techs work on my car. For mechanical work I use one at a VW dealer, because of the warranty. For anything tire related I use another, only because the dealer is new and has the latest equipment. And I probably tip better. I feel it's the only way to get the service you want. I know you shouldn't need to be selective or go to extremes, but that's how it is with VW's. You want to try to avoid this - buy a higher-line car.

Slapshot1

Ready to race!
I’m trying to find a way to wear out my stock tires. These BridgeSTONES feel like they will wear forever! I need to do some track days...

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Consider an inexpensive UHP like the firestone Indy 500. Only $100 per tire. Maybe 25k won’t seem so bad if getting new tires is cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good luck with those in snow.

I found when I owned GTI's that it's not worth rotating unless you get all 4 wheels rebalanced.
This is terrible advice.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Check out the DWS06, it's everything you're looking for.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hey Mike!

Absolutely agree! I've had two sets on my MK5 and they are a great, long lasting A/S that still have decent dry characteristics. I'll be going with them again on the MK7 when the Pirelli P7 Centurato A/S are worn out.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is whats on the GTI right now and work very well. Great dry traction, decent wet and cold traction, smooth running and quiet. Has a stiffer sidewall than the Contis and may give a miniscule amount better turn-in feel, but in most regards a comparable tire. Even though they are a bit more expensive, I feel its worth it for such a quality tire. 2 things I don't cheap out on are tires and brakes. The 3+s are wearing well and I should get about 30K+ out of them. Feel like my old PSSs but with better wet traction and grip in cold weather.

I rotate tires every oil change @ 5K as I have a lift and takes about 30 minutes tops to do. Have balance checked about every third change/rotation and none have been out to any noticeble degree. Wear is definitely more up front and rotation evens this out.

adam1991

Banned
Good advice overall. Find someone who's good, and pay him well.

So to clarify: you use a tire dealer that has new equipment, right?

Last weekend or so I had my car in to the dealer for a quick look see at a rattle, and I saw the rack of tires in the entrance bay. I asked the service writer, what's your talk track on why I should buy tires from you?

He said, flat out: "I don't have one, because you shouldn't. You can get the same tires at better deals out there in the real world."

I will have to remember to ask him to recommend a tire shop or two, or at least some places to stay away from.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
The Conti's are better if you run in snow vs. the Michelin's. I run in snow about 3-4 months depending on Mother Nature, so the DWS06 is the better choice for me. I give up the little bit of dry edge the Michelin's have, but the Conti's are a bit less expensive too. I don't skimp when it comes to tires, but the DWS06 is just a bit more practical for where I live and they ride a tad nicer too.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
The Conti's are better if you run in snow vs. the Michelin's. I run in snow about 3-4 months depending on Mother Nature, so the DWS06 is the better choice for me. I give up the little bit of dry edge the Michelin's have, but the Conti's are a bit less expensive too. I don't skimp when it comes to tires, but the DWS06 is just a bit more practical for where I live and they ride a tad nicer too.

I'll agree there. Even the reviews state the Contis are better in deeper snow, but we don't get much of the white stuff here and I like the performance of the PS series tires . Still not far enough south though, I still see signs that say "bridge ices before roadway".

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is whats on the GTI right now and work very well. Great dry traction, decent wet and cold traction, smooth running and quiet. Has a stiffer sidewall than the Contis and may give a miniscule amount better turn-in feel, but in most regards a comparable tire. Even though they are a bit more expensive, I feel its worth it for such a quality tire. 2 things I don't cheap out on are tires and brakes. The 3+s are wearing well and I should get about 30K+ out of them. Feel like my old PSSs but with better wet traction and grip in cold weather.

I rotate tires every oil change @ 5K as I have a lift and takes about 30 minutes tops to do. Have balance checked about every third change/rotation and none have been out to any noticeble degree. Wear is definitely more up front and rotation evens this out.

This is what I'm going with when I get new wheels. Two sets are best but I don't drive enough to justify them. Just need a tire that can handle the different temps and won't kill me when the weather isn't ideal.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Good advice overall. Find someone who's good, and pay him well.

So to clarify: you use a tire dealer that has new equipment, right?

Last weekend or so I had my car in to the dealer for a quick look see at a rattle, and I saw the rack of tires in the entrance bay. I asked the service writer, what's your talk track on why I should buy tires from you?

He said, flat out: "I don't have one, because you shouldn't. You can get the same tires at better deals out there in the real world."

I will have to remember to ask him to recommend a tire shop or two, or at least some places to stay away from.

Many new car dealers got the message they need to be competitive when it comes to tires. I found you can actually get a good deal at luxury car dealers, like Merc or Audi, and they have good equipment and techs.

adam1991

Banned
It's not just price. My guy was referencing the standard rotating Bridgestone/Michelin "$70 rebate when you buy 4" deals, and the free rotation, and the free summer/winter switching, things like that that tire dealers offer.

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
I got around 40,000 km out of my PSS's, most on my GTI which I rotated every 5,000 km or so. I did a lot of burnouts.