GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

UHP ALL Season tires

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Look for a tread depth of 11/32 and a very high wear rating. Don't count on winning at a track. Search on Tirerack.com. And it really depends on how and where you drive more than numbers. I could get 40K from a tire if I drive like a pussy.

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Just get any all season with a mileage warranty. Then if they wear before then, you can get prorated credit towards next tires.

I went with Falken G4. They are okay performance wise and after 10k miles they are at 7/32".

Next ones will probably be Kumho Ecsta 4x 2.

That being said, in my experience, only Michelin have come close to mileage warranty number.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Check out the DWS06, it's everything you're looking for.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
40k is a lot from any performance tire. My shitty stock all seasons only went 30k with zero track time. At 18k on my Indy 500 and they're on track to go at least 25k, even with two trips to the drag strip

adam1991

Banned
My shitty stock all seasons only went 30k with zero track time.

I have 1100 miles on my shitty stock all seasons, and have been wondering how long I'll get on them.

Did you bother to rotate them at all? I'm wondering if that's worth it. I drive 20K/year rather gently overall, but if rotating doesn't get me anywhere on the stock tires, I won't bother.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I have 1100 miles on my shitty stock all seasons, and have been wondering how long I'll get on them.

Did you bother to rotate them at all? I'm wondering if that's worth it. I drive 20K/year rather gently overall, but if rotating doesn't get me anywhere on the stock tires, I won't bother.

I found when I owned GTI's that it's not worth rotating unless you get all 4 wheels rebalanced. That's probably the cost of one new tire each time, so from a time and money standpoint is it worth it? I was going to rotate my R's until I discovered the rear wheels kick in more than I thought. The rear's are only a couple of 32nd's difference than the fronts now so I'll just get 4 new tires when the fronts wear down. I want to try the Pilot Sport 4S' anyway. Besides, if you were looking for a car that gets a lot of miles to a set of tires, you should have bought a Prius.

Last edited:

adam1991

Banned
I found when I owned GTI's that it's not worth rotating unless you get all 4 wheels rebalanced. That's probably the cost of one new tire each time, so from a time and money standpoint is it worth it? I was going to rotate my R's until I discovered the rear wheels kick in more than I thought. The rear's are only a couple of 32nd's difference than the fronts now so I'll just get 4 new tires when the fronts wear down. I want to try the Pilot Sport 4S' anyway. Besides, if you were looking for a car that gets a lot of miles to a set of tires, you should have bought a Prius.

hehehehe I have a Prius in the family....

Anyway, it's not about getting A LOT of miles out of the stock tires. But if I can get more miles out of them with little or zero expense, I'd like to know that.

As you point out, it's all in the details--and the math.

So pray tell, why would you have to rebalance the wheels just because you're moving them from one position to another? A balanced wheel is a balanced wheel, right? It almost sounds like you're questioning whether they remain balanced even when just moving them from the balancing machine to the car.

And if they need rebalanced when moving from one position to another, wouldn't they also need rebalanced even if you don't rotate them? Aren't you saying that as you use them, they become unbalanced even staying on the car?

What am I missing?

alderran1

Ready to race!

Anyway, it's not about getting A LOT of miles out of the stock tires. But if I can get more miles out of them with little or zero expense, I'd like to know that.

So pray tell, why would you have to rebalance the wheels just because you're moving them from one position to another? A balanced wheel is a balanced wheel, right? It almost sounds like you're questioning whether they remain balanced even when just moving them from the balancing machine to the car.

And if they need rebalanced when moving from one position to another, wouldn't they also need rebalanced even if you don't rotate them? Aren't you saying that as you use them, they become unbalanced even staying on the car?

What am I missing?

You're not missing anything my tires have been rotated twice. Who knows if the dealer really did it the first time, but last time I did it myself so I know once it was done for sure. The balance is still fine and I drive fast 85mph most of the time on the highway and I've had it up to 100 passing. Well actually left lane in MA 85 is normal. So I guess I drive normal, but the car rolls smooth. I don't think the traction on the pirelli tires is great, but they are smooth. I'm not into measuring tread, but the cinturato's with 24K miles still look to me like I have about a year left. I'll probably change them next year in the Fall. I'm doing slightly less than 10K miles a year so next Fall would be between 30-35K.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
I have only found threads regarding UHP summer tires....I dont want a tire that lasts 25k miles ...I need a tire that lasts 40k miles. Anybody have any anecdotal experience with a good quality UHP all season? I was thinking about some Nitto Neo Gen All Season Ultra High Performance Tire https://www.tires-easy.com/235-40-1...K7FwZR01FwNuNmOXUfNG8nA31tHXqvGgaAvj8EALw_wcB

Any suggestions?

Consider an inexpensive UHP like the firestone Indy 500. Only $100 per tire. Maybe 25k won’t seem so bad if getting new tires is cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
I have only found threads regarding UHP summer tires....I dont want a tire that lasts 25k miles ...I need a tire that lasts 40k miles. Anybody have any anecdotal experience with a good quality UHP all season? I was thinking about some Nitto Neo Gen All Season Ultra High Performance Tire https://www.tires-easy.com/235-40-1...K7FwZR01FwNuNmOXUfNG8nA31tHXqvGgaAvj8EALw_wcB

Any suggestions?

I had continental dws06 on my tdi and they were really really good. 40k no problem and they had grip and were comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

What am I missing?

Yes, I left out that they still need balancing, but on the rear you won't notice an out-of-balance wheel that much. So I'd say to at least balance the ones going on the front. I do them all anyway.