GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ugh, waiting months on a replacement headlight

sgtpeper67

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI autobahn
I had a tree fall on the passenger side front of the car in October. If it had been 4-6 feet over it would have totaled the car so there’s that. However I’ve been waiting on a replacement headlight since then so the car can be repaired. The body shop can’t find one, local dealers have confirmed the back order, etc. Anyone else run into this? Are we talking supply chain issues or did VW really not make enough parts?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Mrgrimloc79

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 gti se
That sucks! There are aftermarket headlights you could consider. I don't know what your vehicle is but there are plenty out there to choose from for golf and gti models. Just a suggestion.

sgtpeper67

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI autobahn
I think I updated my signature so it reflects the model: ‘17 Autobahn GTI. I’d be willing to try about anything at this point. I guess it would need to have the swivel headlights like the other side. Would aftermarket match or probably need to swap both out?

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I bought a pair from Facebook market place, local to me. Like new, give it a try.

sgtpeper67

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI autobahn
That sucks! There are aftermarket headlights you could consider. I don't know what your vehicle is but there are plenty out there to choose from for golf and gti models. Just a suggestion.
Do you have any aftermarket company recommendations? Dealer just recommended the same thing but couldn’t think of an aftermarket company name. Thanks for the suggestion!

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Do you have any aftermarket company recommendations? Dealer just recommended the same thing but couldn’t think of an aftermarket company name. Thanks for the suggestion!
I think most of the aftermarket options are for people who don't have the Lighting Package/HID lights and want to upgrade to it. I think if you have the LP/HID lights, there aren't really any aftermarket options out there. Lighting isn't something I really keep up with though, so someone can correct me if I'm way off.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Thank you for the link. Oddly it says it’s not compatible with my vehicle. Perhaps they put the wrong part # in?
There were two initial suppliers, valeo and hella. My 15 originally had valeo but were replaced under warranty with hella due to quality issues. They take the same modules and plug.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
Vw has been running into supply issues with alot of parts lately. Some have etas some dont where Vw is waiting to hear back from their suppliers. I work at VW and they been running into alot of back ordered parts.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Every automaker is having issues, it's not just Vw. Its the pandemic and now the war. As for the headlights if you have lp you gotta go oem or osram, but if you go osram you gotta re-pin

sgtpeper67

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI autobahn
I really appreciate all the help. I spent an hour or so looking around and came to the same conclusion about the lighting package.

My DRLs and low beams aren’t working. Are the high beams the center light? I need to get someone to engage them while I look. The tree caused cosmetic damage to the casing just cracking it. If I’m remembering correctly the lights stopped working and the dashboard notifications about the adaptive lights being unavailable a couple days later after a hard rain. They weren’t damaged by the impact. Likely the control module shorted out after getting wet? Possible the LED bulbs as well? I haven’t checked to see if the passenger light is on its own fuse. At this point I want to get all the components fixed and just tape up the damn casing so water can’t get in there. Of course VA won’t renew my state inspection with the light not working…

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
just curiousity question. Is your insurance reccomending you drive with only one headlight? That doesn't sound like you are in good hands.

sgtpeper67

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI autobahn
just curiousity question. Is your insurance reccomending you drive with only one headlight? That doesn't sound like you are in good hands.
Ha. They haven’t said a thing. Just given me and the body shop a bunch of money that’s been sitting there for 6 months.

I had thought just the DRL was out but it’s the whole low beam, the exterior ring if you will. The bulb in the center of the ring which engages when you lock/unlock seems to be working fine.

I just pulled the fuses and unfortunately they’re fine. Wouldn’t that have been an easy fix? Something in the lamp itself must have shorted out.