GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ugh, waiting months on a replacement headlight

Commandercool90

Car(s)
'16 GTI SE PP & LP
Was in the same boat as you. Needed a passenger side LP headlight. Was hard and expensive to source a new one. Ended up getting a used one with all modules. That would probably be the best route rn. Not sure why these headlights are still so backordered.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
or so damn expensive :(

Bretterson

Ready to race!
I didn't read the whole post (sorry) but have you tried car-part.com? Looks like there might be a few options, but it would take some sleuthing to figure out what each place has and the condition it's in.
I did look there. Every single one is damaged, just specific modules, or missing the red accent. Good suggestion though.

or so damn expensive :(
I would assume much of the cost has to do with the auto-leveling and AFS function.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I did look there. Every single one is damaged, just specific modules, or missing the red accent. Good suggestion though.

I would assume much of the cost has to do with the auto-leveling and AFS function.
I was quoted 1200 per side, assembly only, no modules or controllers. Then quoted another several hundred if I wanted them to swap all of my controllers and modules over into the new assemblies. I have about arrived at the analogy that if I must pay ass loads of money for headlights, then Im going to order the Euro-spec version and get the smoke out side lenses instead of the amber, as well as Double 'U" DRL's. Might as well get what you want, right ?

Bretterson

Ready to race!
I was quoted 1200 per side, assembly only, no modules or controllers. Then quoted another several hundred if I wanted them to swap all of my controllers and modules over into the new assemblies. I have about arrived at the analogy that if I must pay ass loads of money for headlights, then Im going to order the Euro-spec version and get the smoke out side lenses instead of the amber, as well as Double 'U" DRL's. Might as well get what you want, right ?
Yeah, I believe list price for the assembly itself is around $1300-1400. Mine will be going through insurance, so even if I got them to cover that I'd still have to pay for everything on the other side. Not worth it to me.

Bretterson

Ready to race!
ebay y'all. ebay. or get friendly with the few vw dismantlers. :)
I assure you I've looked on eBay and all but one or two ship from Latvia, Spain, or Germany. Nearly all of them seem to be made by manufacturers that I've never heard of. I'm just reluctant to order one of them because it would be a giant pain to return or replace it if something isn't right, plus the labor to install it again.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
1) Find a used GTI for sale.

2) Off center crash it on the test drive.

3) ????

4) Profit the other undamaged headlight.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
I assure you I've looked on eBay and all but one or two ship from Latvia, Spain, or Germany. Nearly all of them seem to be made by manufacturers that I've never heard of. I'm just reluctant to order one of them because it would be a giant pain to return or replace it if something isn't right, plus the labor to install it again.
Have you tried looking at my previous post where i literally dropped links to two of the needed OP headlights? If you had, you would see that it absolutely can be done, from american based parts dismantlers.

Bretterson

Ready to race!
1) Find a used GTI for sale.

2) Off center crash it on the test drive.

3) ????

4) Profit the other undamaged headlight.
Definitely an option, but eh...

Have you tried looking at my previous post where i literally dropped links to two of the needed OP headlights? If you had, you would see that it absolutely can be done, from american based parts dismantlers.
Indeed I did. I'm not arguing with you. I have no doubt that it can be done, but at this time there are only two available from US sellers (one of which is untested) and I don't know how long I want to wait; I've already been pulled over once because of the light. I'm pretty comfortable with eBay and I have three searches I've been checking regularly.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
I count at least 3 that currently fit the criteria of "right" "OEM gti red stripe" and pre-facelift. I don't understand the problem. Buy one, replace. Solve the problem. Stop getting pulled over.

Bretterson

Ready to race!
I count at least 3 that currently fit the criteria of "right" "OEM gti red stripe" and pre-facelift. I don't understand the problem. Buy one, replace. Solve the problem. Stop getting pulled over.
I saw those, but I need the left side. I did find one more of the one I need in the States by searching the way you did, but it's more expensive than the other options and in worse condition.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion