GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ugh, waiting months on a replacement headlight

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

Bretterson

Ready to race!
I'm having this same issue on my 2016 GTI... for the second time. In December 2021 my right headlight lens got a very minor crack or two in an accident. In August 2022 the body shop gave up on finding one, claiming the OEM supplier had gone out of business (🤷‍♂️), and had the insurance company pay me out on it since it. The damage is barely noticeable so I was fine with that. Last night I ran into a deer and destroyed the lens on the left headlight. Every site still shows the HID/Xenon assemblies on backorder and this time it isn't minor enough to ignore. I feel like I'm just going to have to keep scouring eBay or Facebook to find something.

Mk7AJ93

Car(s)
Volkswagen gti 2015
I'm having this same issue on my 2016 GTI... for the second time. In December 2021 my right headlight lens got a very minor crack or two in an accident. In August 2022 the body shop gave up on finding one, claiming the OEM supplier had gone out of business (🤷‍♂️), and had the insurance company pay me out on it since it. The damage is barely noticeable so I was fine with that. Last night I ran into a deer and destroyed the lens on the left headlight. Every site still shows the HID/Xenon assemblies on backorder and this time it isn't minor enough to ignore. I feel like I'm just going to have to keep scouring eBay or Facebook to find something.

have a used one I got replaced a few years back luckily I kept my old one. It has a small crack. Not as bad but if anyone is interested let me know.

(In Canada)

Attachments

• 6B618973-811B-4781-9B88-0ACAC9FFD63A.jpeg
    6B618973-811B-4781-9B88-0ACAC9FFD63A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • 1463AFB6-ECA8-4E1D-BBF3-D803B6E31B7D.jpeg
    1463AFB6-ECA8-4E1D-BBF3-D803B6E31B7D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • DDB288B7-CA52-4878-906A-F5F5C8A732BE.jpeg
    DDB288B7-CA52-4878-906A-F5F5C8A732BE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • 6ADF7FC8-CA13-4E28-84F1-353FA909B9BE.jpeg
    6ADF7FC8-CA13-4E28-84F1-353FA909B9BE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 42
  • C927246F-793F-49E6-A701-7DB93425CADF.jpeg
    C927246F-793F-49E6-A701-7DB93425CADF.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 38

toastergod

I'm not sure if the lens are the same but I have a set of halogen headlights that came out of my 2017 GTI. In the past, I have separated the lens from the assembly on many headlights. I have not done a VW one but I assume it works the same. heat in an oven @250 degrees then just slowly pull it apart.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I'm not sure if the lens are the same but I have a set of halogen headlights that came out of my 2017 GTI. In the past, I have separated the lens from the assembly on many headlights. I have not done a VW one but I assume it works the same. heat in an oven @250 degrees then just slowly pull it apart.
Im trying to do this, can't get the lens to separate. Watched vids etc, but I guess I am just doing it wrong. I am going to try again this weekend because if I break them so what, I've already accepted the fact that I will have to get new ones. If it somehow works, then awesome, saves me 2k for new assemblies.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Im trying to do this, can't get the lens to separate. Watched vids etc, but I guess I am just doing it wrong. I am going to try again this weekend because if I break them so what, I've already accepted the fact that I will have to get new ones. If it somehow works, then awesome, saves me 2k for new assemblies.

These headlight housings are plastic welded shut. Only way to get into them is to cut them open.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP

Bretterson

Ready to race!
Kinda tempting, but I don't know if I want to get into all that or the time to commit. If it was easy to get the assembly out I might be more inclined, but I think I'd be without the car for a couple days if I was lucky. And if it didn't go well then I'd feel like I invested a lot more than my deductible 😕

Uh, that is amazing.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Uh, that is amazing.
Yep, they are out of Australia and currently are not doing any international orders. I emailed them and asked to be notified when available and got their reassurance they would let me know. Their is another place state-side that makes a mimic of this, IG: ncc_customz - I might go with them maybe....

Albee

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Had the same issue, I hit a deer in July. My body shop found a used one and I got the car fixed in early March.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
I didn't read the whole post (sorry) but have you tried car-part.com? Looks like there might be a few options, but it would take some sleuthing to figure out what each place has and the condition it's in.