GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TWO Blown turbo's with less than 13k miles!

DAS_STIG

Banned
I'm just speaking from experience..;) The EJ25 was very good to me!

I can't see spending hundreds, maybe over $1000, to fly home on short notice, and rent a car. Then fly back 1000 miles, to turn around and drive home 1000 miles, that just sounds nutty to me... I just hate that they are leaving me hanging, no timeline... But I do start a new job in 9 days, so I just might have to fly back. Hurry up VW!!!

Quick update - I spoke with the dealership again, and they insisted my car still has the APR tune on it. They said it's there on my ECU, but it's turned off. That the dealership who made it stock again, might have did something wrong... I told them, throw in a new turbo, take it for a drive, and you will see it's not tuned... They said they were contacted by the district rep, but they still didn't know when he will be looking at the car.

The tune might be there - the first dealership that "fixed" the turbo might have set it to the "stock" APR tune, which is not the same thing as a true stock ECU. They might also only be looking at the TD1 issue and since it's flagged they simply use that to say it's "still" tuned.

Juggar

Ready to race!
There are a lot of folks that stack JB4 on top of a tune... maybe if it wasn't done properly though.

JB4 + APR tune? I mean MAYBE if you REALLY know what you are doing.... wouldn't that be pushing the IS20 to the absolute ragged edge?

I run a neuspeed and its on +7, I cant imagine what would happen if there were an APR 93 octane tune on my GTI with it. Certainly it would fail quickly thats far too much boost for an IS20. That'd be like 30+ PSI of boost.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
OP switched from APR to stock tune, then added JB4.

He wasn't stacked.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
So why does it say they found the apr tune? Or was it just the flash counter they noticed?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Either flash counter, or APR uses a "Stage 0" tune to flash back to stock, instead of an actual stock tune.

This is what some tuners do when flashing back to stock.

Jamie007

Ready to race!
They just said that the car is TD1, and they still see the tune in there, but it's not "on." Nothing was stacked. I don't know the inner workings of the ECU, but that's what they said. All I know is there is no active tune on the car, and that is what they are looking for.

Tsi7

Ready to race!
They just said that the car is TD1, and they still see the tune in there, but it's not "on." Nothing was stacked. I don't know the inner workings of the ECU, but that's what they said. All I know is there is no active tune on the car, and that is what they are looking for.

I don't get it anymore, if they are saying it's TD1 and they know you were tuned, then like The Fed said, it makes no sense to send a VWOA rep out to see the car if VWOA will most likely not cover the repair... this whole thing is confusing, i'm really curious what the outcome will be

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Guys, there are plenty of plp that run stacks (JB4) on top of an existing ECU tune.

You do however have to dial in the settings and not just throw random amount of boost.

** I know plp that ran an APR ECU tune on top of the JB4 and haven’t had a problem **
I will say that APR is more aggressive in terms of "canned" tunes so you are pushing the IS20.
It’s a question of being smart about it ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
I don't get it anymore, if they are saying it's TD1 and they know you were tuned, then like The Fed said, it makes no sense to send a VWOA rep out to see the car if VWOA will most likely not cover the repair... this whole thing is confusing, i'm really curious what the outcome will be

Quite confusing lol

cb1111

Guys, there are plenty of plp that run stacks (JB4) on top of an existing ECU tune.

You do however have to dial in the settings and not just throw random amount of boost.

** I know plp that ran an APR ECU tune on top of the JB4 and haven’t had a problem **
I will say that APR is more aggressive in terms of "canned" tunes so you are pushing the IS20.
It’s a question of being smart about it ...

What is "plp"?

adam1991

Banned

Hole after hole after hole in this story.