GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turboparts Canada turbo thread

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Good morning everyone.
I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. There must be something with the culture. I thought Canada was known for being nice, maybe Ottawa has a very aggressive culture?
Hey I'm a nice Canadian, but then it probably has something to do with the mild Vancouver weather 🌞🇨🇦

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Not here to post in favor or against TPC; but there are some common misconceptions here. Just because you know two people who purchased something doesn’t mean that’s the entire base. Many people stay off of forums, and social media.

People exaggerate, and cause widespread panic before allowing companies to fix something. How many failures has VW had with stock IS38 and early IS20s?

There are many factors to consider if a turbo / any part fails. The blame game doesn’t work, and hinders QC and improvement of the product.

I'm with you. I'm sticking to the facts. I personally know two guys that bought TPC turbos.. Those same two guys had their TPC turbos blow. That's 100% failure rate that I personally know of.

I don't think people should run to the forums without working with the vendor. That did NOT happen here. Navi and BecauseMotor tried to work with the vendor first. TPC had their chance. They chose to slander and point fingers instead of making things right. THEN they started the shit storm again and shoot themselves in the face again!
It makes it hard to trust a business who has employees which make such bad decisions.

Lots of IS38s and IS20s blew up, but I think there were A LOT of IS38s and IS20s in cars in the world. The percentage was likely actually low. All we know about TPC is that they didn't even sell 5 turbos in Denver, and the two that I know of sold in NY blew up.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Again, you’re assuming you know their sales numbers. You don’t. You only see a select couple of people on the forums. You also missed everything else I posted.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Again, you’re assuming you know their sales numbers. You don’t. You only see a select couple of people on the forums. You also missed everything else I posted.

If only there was a way that could be put to rest...

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT

No... I'm stating I saw 100% failure rate from people that I know in NY. And that they didn't even sell 5 turbos in Denver. I can start talking about cities with people with extra money to spend on turbos and we can extrapolate that etc.. but it's all assumption. We are allowed to make assumptions and draw our own opinions if we aren't presented with the facts - people do this all the time.

I can tell you for a fact the OP's post does nothing to make their brand look good. I know some guys who are lawyers and would looooove to get the OP to say he's speaking for the company so they can write some letters to the company. This whole thread is pointless and stupid.

Facts.. TPC turbos blow up in 2000 miles, prove me wrong.

Last edited:

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
No... I'm stating I saw 100% failure rate from people that I know in NY. And that they didn't even sell 5 turbos in Denver. I can start talking about cities with people with extra money to spend on turbos and we can extrapolate that etc.. but it's all assumption. We are allowed to make assumptions and draw our own opinions if we aren't presented with the facts - people do this all the time.

I can tell you for a fact the OP's post does nothing to make their brand look good. I know some guys who are lawyers and would looooove to get the OP to say he's speaking for the company so they can write some letters to the company. It's whole thread is pointless and stupid.

Facts.. TPC turbos blow up in 2000 miles, prove me wrong.

Pretty sure Brian Frozone has been using a TPC20 on a race car for two years. He is also from NY.

I also don’t understand your “Denver” correlation. People can make assumptions all they want, doesn’t mean it’s accurate at all. What normally happens is there is a failure or two and then the community blows everything out of proportion without allowing the manufacturer the time to figure out what happened. People then come on with their bandwagon opinions to cause more unneeded drama.

We don’t why the turbos failed, and ranting and raving about it isn’t going to solve anything.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Every time I post something with my results with one of TPCs turbos, this is always the retort from TPC and their reps... it's your car. Your build is bad. Your tuners are bad. I've seen so and so run X.XX with 100 more whp/wtq than you. Spend more money and push that turbo to really work. Same tired story.

I've been to 3 different mechanics and they have all independently confirmed my build is as to be expected. Have had boost leak testS. Have had compression testS. All on my own dime because you all swear it's on my end, not your product. The tuner you all constantly drag is Jeff/Fred from UnitedMotorsports. But I'm sure you all know much better than them. I am REAL close to buying an EQT XL out of my own pocket, AGAIN, just to see what the differences truly are. An actual apples to apples comparison. Do you/TPC wanna sponsor me doing that @THEREALVRT?

Hold on there killer, that TPC20 that makes roughly what I do in my EQT XL on 93 is a full 1.2 seconds faster 60-130. That is with back seats and spare removed with 6 MT. I think your TPC turbo is faster than my EQT XL.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Pretty sure Brian Frozone has been using a TPC20 on a race car for two years. He is also from NY.

I also don’t understand your “Denver” correlation. People can make assumptions all they want, doesn’t mean it’s accurate at all. What normally happens is there is a failure or two and then the community blows everything out of proportion without allowing the manufacturer the time to figure out what happened. People then come on with their bandwagon opinions to cause more unneeded drama.

We don’t why the turbos failed, and ranting and raving about it isn’t going to solve anything.

The assumption I would build (and this is all hypothesis) is that Denver CO is a city with high average income. I can say there is likely more people with extra money to throw a TPC turbo. So if you didn't even sell 5 there, your sales numbers are probably low overall. Again this is all reasoning based off assumptions due to lack of data.

I get that you work for a vendor also and you are on the other side of the fence and I appreciate you reminding us that there are two sides of the coin. This is why I keep asking for the facts. I want to know what the failure rate is, and why the turbos blew.

BecauseMotor

Go Kart Champion
Hold on there killer, that TPC20 that makes roughly what I do in my EQT XL on 93 is a full 1.2 seconds faster 60-130. That is with back seats and spare removed with 6 MT. I think your TPC turbo is faster than my EQT XL.

Hold on there killer... I have a TPC38 ball-bearing. I put down an 8.99s 60-130 on a e50ish blend at 28psi. The time in your sig is faster. If I had a TPC20, I doubt I would get into the 10s with it. Your whp/wtq on 93 pump is what I put down with an e70ish blend.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Hold on there killer... I have a TPC38 ball-bearing. I put down an 8.99s 60-130 on a e50ish blend at 28psi. The time in your sig is faster. If I had a TPC20, I doubt I would get into the 10s with it. Your whp/wtq on 93 pump is what I put down with an e70ish blend.
Interesting indeed, I am running an HPFP only fueling mods still on stock sensors so limited to 28.2 pounds. And to be fair my whp numbers are virtual dyno cause I am cheap, haha.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I know you can’t easily log, but did they ever tell you what timings set at roughly on your flex tune For, pump,e50, e70+ ?

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
Not sure what else he's working on but he did mention it a long time ago in passing. I never followed up with him. I'm hoping it is still a thing.