GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trading in 2012 gti autobahn for Scion FR-S

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
You said "out turn" and mentioned handling mods.

The powerband is the GTI's strength. Too bad the flexy chassis is made out of oatmeal and we don't get a limited slip option from the factory.

It's not like you can't mod a BRZ and make a ton of power.

At the end of the day, the GTI is very low on the totem pole when considering platforms to go fast. The cost to transform it into something great is so prohibitive.

i also mentioned it being on a track
it's one thing to take a corner fast. it's another thing to hold it and get out of it even faster.
the GTI can do that to a certain extent. after a while, the FWD becomes limiting
The FRS can go in strong and hold it for a while, but then you notice yourself smashing the throttle to get it to pick up and go

you can mod anything to make tons of power. but then you move the price range of the BRZ from 26k to 30k+ depending on what you want to do
im talking, simple under $1000 mods
springs, sways, tune. possibley a chassis stiffener. maybe an intake
your average non-enthusiast isnt gonna drop tons of money into FI-ing a car that he doesnt even track

at the end of the day, each car is in a completely different category.
i dont understand why people started to compare the two in the first place

it's like saying "oh im tired of this smart car, im gonna go get a ford raptor, what do you guys think?

BlueDubbinTDI

Go Kart Champion
1)
GTI+swaybars+DG springs will out-turn a stock FRS/BRZ on a track
You can throw in springs/swaybars on the FRS, but it wont have the power to pull through as quickly as the GTI will

2)
dont even think about racing in a straight line. you will get destroyed by a GTI. plus, the cars are in a COMPLETELY different category

3)
if you are gonna get the auto, you might as well move the gears into place by hand. it's the slushiest of all slushboxes

4)
seriously speaking, how often are you going to even track the car?
how often will you be taking corners at 60mph on the streets, with other cars, civilians, cops.

5)
wait for a BRZ STI
Itll most likely come with the 2.5 that the current STI comes with. that will be a nice car.
but itll most likely cost you around 35-40k

6)
even if the BRZ STI is available, id take a gen1 miata over the BRZ.
cheaper parts
has more aftermarket than you can imagine
great track platform
cheap to maintain
lightweight, which means you can supercharge it and drive around like a damn go-kart

now im not saying the BRZ is a bad car. it's an awesome car. but for the price, i dont think it's worth it. at least not for me.

You do realize it has a Lexus IS transmission..its actually 1 of the better automatics outthere. Stock GTI vs Stock FRS in a straight line are very similar on speed. stock vs stock FRS, will destroy in corners. it gets better gas mileage. cheaper to mod and maintain. 400 pounds lighter. Better looking to some (definitely females). And RWD..lemme repeat that RWD.

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
You do realize it has a Lexus IS transmission..its actually 1 of the better automatics outthere. Stock GTI vs Stock FRS in a straight line are very similar on speed. stock vs stock FRS, will destroy in corners. it gets better gas mileage. cheaper to mod and maintain. 400 pounds lighter. Better looking to some (definitely females). And RWD..lemme repeat that RWD.

Similar speed of a stock GTI in a straight line?
manual maybe, but no way itll keep up with the auto
I was neck and neck with a stock FRS auto in my 2.5 and all i had was an intake

BlueDubbinTDI

Go Kart Champion
Similar speed of a stock GTI in a straight line?
manual maybe, but no way itll keep up with the auto
I was neck and neck with a stock FRS auto in my 2.5 and all i had was an intake

Did he know you were racing? Lol I just don't see it. Like 900 more rpm band 30 more horses and 400 pounds lighter = you should have been dusted.

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
Did he know you were racing? Lol I just don't see it. Like 900 more rpm band 30 more horses and 400 pounds lighter = you should have been dusted.

He honked at me. On the 3rd honk he went at it. The slushbox in the frs knocks off like 3 seconds in the 0-60

Sent via a microwave.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Doesn't anyone have another gif of the sun screen tits?

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
OP -- I've got both cars at the moment.

If you're into autocross or track your car at all, MAKE THE SWITCH. I've autocrossed both my cars, and there really is no comparison in that environment. The GTI is too tall/heavy/FWD to feel comfortable out there. In comparison, the FR-S is reminiscent of the S2000 -- low to the ground, light, and torqueless, but fun as hell when pushed. I actually like the FR-S better than the S2000 in that, while balanced, it's very forgiving (on the stock Prius tires). When that rear end comes around, you have plenty of time to catch it and hold it. Beautiful feeling. I've switched to max performance summer tires for my next track day. We'll see if it retains its forgiving nature with more grip.

If you won't be autocrossing/tracking your car, stick with the GTI unless you really prefer the FR-S. The mid-range torque of the turbo is nice for daily driving, as is the extra space in the hatch. Getting 4 unmounted tires and wheels to fit in the FR-S was a pain, whereas it's not even an issue with the GTI. GTI can also transport 4 people easily and is more comfortable for roadtrips.

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion