GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trading in 2012 gti autobahn for Scion FR-S

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
Okay guys lets be honest here. Do you really see your self dailying an frs/brz? I am comeing from an 08 rx8 I stepped into my golf because after my engine blew it just made most sense. I REALLY loved my 8 and it is my dream car but it just is not for daily driveing. Suspension is way to stiff ( don't care about that but having more comfort is nice ) you are forced to rev high to get any where so you might as well forget mpg at that point. Unless you don't mind shifting at 2.5k to save gas but have a bunch of people with road rage honking at you and cutting you off. In my opinion the rx8 is better in almost every aspect compared to the toyoburu cars better interior better power better handling rotary is way more fun to rev too. The only aspect the frs/brz is good at is being CHEAP. Cheap to buy cheap to maintain and more reliable but, that its self is the problem is its cheap. Anyway lets get back on track if I could afford 2 cars then sure I think the frs/brz is great as my fun weekend toy. It is just way to small no fun around the city and I haven't driven in one yet but I'm sure the suspension will be close to how my 8 felt.

Djmikeyd

Go Kart Champion
Am I the only one that isn't bothered one bit by my car being fwd??

BlueDubbinTDI

Go Kart Champion
Okay guys lets be honest here. Do you really see your self dailying an frs/brz? I am comeing from an 08 rx8 I stepped into my golf because after my engine blew it just made most sense. I REALLY loved my 8 and it is my dream car but it just is not for daily driveing. Suspension is way to stiff ( don't care about that but having more comfort is nice ) you are forced to rev high to get any where so you might as well forget mpg at that point. Unless you don't mind shifting at 2.5k to save gas but have a bunch of people with road rage honking at you and cutting you off. In my opinion the rx8 is better in almost every aspect compared to the toyoburu cars better interior better power better handling rotary is way more fun to rev too. The only aspect the frs/brz is good at is being CHEAP. Cheap to buy cheap to maintain and more reliable but, that its self is the problem is its cheap. Anyway lets get back on track if I could afford 2 cars then sure I think the frs/brz is great as my fun weekend toy. It is just way to small no fun around the city and I haven't driven in one yet but I'm sure the suspension will be close to how my 8 felt.

I think you're 23 highway mpg made you sore. That car is meant to be revved out and yes it is likely quite similar. It's the right car for the right lifestyle. Simple interior with a great model to tune and have fun with. Throw around with cheap maintenance and just enjoy yourself. If you know what you just said going into it and you're up for it its the perfect car for someone.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Many/most are DD'ing the BRZ/FRS.

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
19 GolfR, 19 911 GTS

So, you haven't driven it but already know? :)

I was planning DD it if I bought it. I was interested for 2 reasons really: RWD and CHEAP.

I do about 150 miles a day with my round trip to work, so I was looking for something cheap as my DD are usually "throw aways" after 3 years of commuting and extra trips. I also want something reliable so at 3am on my way to work I don't get stranded (why I won't buy a used car that someone else patched back together).

With some more horsepower and torque I think the car could be a great DD, but I know I won't be stopping on the side of the road to pickup a Hobo's shopping cart and don't need the space.

BlueDubbinTDI

Go Kart Champion

I was planning DD it if I bought it. I was interested for 2 reasons really: RWD and CHEAP.

I do about 150 miles a day with my round trip to work, so I was looking for something cheap as my DD are usually "throw aways" after 3 years of commuting and extra trips. I also want something reliable so at 3am on my way to work I don't get stranded (why I won't buy a used car that someone else patched back together).

With some more horsepower and torque I think the car could be a great DD, but I know I won't be stopping on the side of the road to pickup a Hobo's shopping cart and don't need the space.
Me exactly. Except I drive max 30 miles a day and just have the TDI cuz it was an excellent deal

artur1292

Go Kart Champion

Just to be clear I said I'm sure it feels similar because both cars are designed for the same purpose high reving fun and awesome handling. Never said I know for sure 100% what it feels like. And I agree I think it is a really great car for what it is. All I was saying is to me the golf platform is great all around. Fun around the city gets great mpg and with a few mods pretty fun on a track all while staying a comfortable daily driver. Comeing from my rx8 now I just feel like a car like that would be more of a second car because its so small on long trips I would get tired of the crammed interior and after 2 hours of driving you notice "wow this suspension is pretty stiff". Basically I just feel like the golf platform is great all around and the frs/brz to ME is a great weekend warrior. I really can't see my self dailying another tiny car.

Noize

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2022 GTI SE
I hate RX-8s. The driving dynamics and handling are fantastic, but the engine is geared horribly, is gutless, and gets fuel economy like a truck. To me, an FR-S/BRZ is a much better car.

Keep your Golf for daily driving and get a used S2000 for a fun car, which will smoke them all.