GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

traction with potenza tires

slik

Ready to race!
Has anyone noticed how easy it is get lose traction temporarily on the factory potenza tires. particularly the right front. This happens on perfectly dry blacktop when you accelerate from a stop with just a little extra zip.
Is this normal, I'm appalled by these tires. I only have 1600 miles on them but really dislike how quickly and easily they break loose, a little scary.:mad:

DUSlider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16' GTI SE/PP
What's the ambient temperature? The Potenzas are summer tires so if it's cold they won't grip as well.

Potenza S001 are the summer tires, the Potenza RE97AS are the All Season. Most of the GTIs come with the REs.

I have the REs and agree they are lacking for traction.

slik

Ready to race!
potenza re

yes they are the re and currently in the 60's F. they have terrible traction for supposedly an all season tire

RSmalls44

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine came with the Hankook allseasons and they are terrible as well. I get the impression that all season tires just don't work well on a front wheel drive car with this much power.

I plan to buy summers shortly and switch the all seasons back on for winter.

DanielSL

Ready to race!
I have the factory supplied Pirellis on my car, and even stock it would lose traction enough to engage the Electronic nannies in first, the 1-2 shift, and in second on dry ground. In the wet, I have to modulate throttle and never go above half throttle.

Last edited:

chrisreynolds19

Passed Driver's Ed
The Potenza tyre on a GTD is horrible.With the extra torque you cant put the power on the road. 1st and 2nd would spin in the dry, when the roads get even a tad damp i have to wait until 4th before you can really get all the power down.

mkygod

Ready to race!
Mine were Potenza RE97AS and I can't launch the car without the traction control just ruining everything. Im pretty sure id lose off the line against a BRZ/FRS if I tried.

VWGT1

Ready to race!
I have S001 Potenzas as standart. Just freakin horrible tires. Noisiest tires I ever had and the traction is terrible. My current winter tires grip so much better, miles better.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
We got Contintental's from the factory. There's no standard, it's just whatever they can get cheap in the right size..

moreboost

They're terrible, especially after a tune/performance mods. I just swapped mine out with a set of michelin pss, a bit wider than stock size 235/40/18 - huge difference wow! The stock potenza all seasons had 2,100 miles on them, sold them on craigslist in a few days for $300. I'd say sell them while they're semi-new and put the money towards better tires, you won't regret it.

pipsyp

Ready to race!
The Potenza tyre on a GTD is horrible.With the extra torque you cant put the power on the road. 1st and 2nd would spin in the dry, when the roads get even a tad damp i have to wait until 4th before you can really get all the power down.

Agreed mine lights up in 3rd quite readily with provocation unless its bone dry.....i sometime even get 4th gear traction loss under hard acceleration on a gradient in the damp.