GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Track TEMP DATA: IC and radiator combo data collection - ALL YOUR LOGS ARE BELONG TO US!

scrllock

Autocross Champion
We’re talking about his car, right?

Right?
For some reason he's treated as a track guru? AFAIK he's done one timed event (GTA @ RA) and was 7.5 seconds behind the top of his class and a couple seconds behind cars in the entry-level enthusiast class on actual street tires (no 200tw "street" tires allowed).

He's just a clout-chaser with a dog box who pushes any brand that'll give him a 10% off code. He wouldn't be so cringey if he wasn't out there posting about his 'cheat codes' for good track times while selling various crap to make your car slower.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Casually restarting the car and continuing to beat on seems like a cool way to need a new motor.
I do that all the time on track. You can even see it in my last video.

Limit 4000rpm. Ok... Power cycle & let's go. 😁

Redslaya

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Did some more data collecting for @DerHase today. He'll get the full analysis but it seems initially a part of my issues was the APR enclosed Carbon intake on the car. swapping back to OEM airbox netted a 13°f drop in IATs instantly and consistently while ambient only dropped 4°f. so... anyone interested in a hot air intake? It's pretty and sounds really good!

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
For some reason he's treated as a track guru? AFAIK he's done one timed event (GTA @ RA) and was 7.5 seconds behind the top of his class and a couple seconds behind cars in the entry-level enthusiast class on actual street tires (no 200tw "street" tires allowed).

He's just a clout-chaser with a dog box who pushes any brand that'll give him a 10% off code. He wouldn't be so cringey if he wasn't out there posting about his 'cheat codes' for good track times while selling various crap to make your car slower.
I thought i was the only one who thought this <3 thank you.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
I do that all the time on track. You can even see it in my last video.

Limit 4000rpm. Ok... Power cycle & let's go. 😁
Used to happen to my GTI all the time in cold weather track days too. Instructor at the time was like WTF are you doing at least once lol.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Here's a limp mode restart on track. VIR in 2021. Second event ever and first time solo. Pilot Sport All Season 4s. I'm pretty jerky/not looking ahead enough but whatever. A few gal of 100 octane sorted it. My instructor would have shit if he was in there ahaha.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/M9jnYfQnbkv9zBFC6

ironicbadger

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 MK7.5 R EQT Stg1
Proof that upgrading your intercooler works.

Stock IC, lower ambients, up to -8 of timing. Using the IEv2 IC, same track, same car, the only mechanical change is the IC and even with higher ambients we only see -2.2deg in a 40! minute session.

3 logs in attached zip. first log is the first 40 min session. i was going quite gingerly to start but by the end sped up. log 2 is the session that got cut short due to the storm. short but fast.

log 3 is on the final laps of the day, hottest and fastest. that's where i had the fuel cuts. by my reckoning i had about 3-4 gal left in the tank. fastest lap times were 2:18.

chin do a 60 min open track sesssion at the end of the day and with no power at the track (a vicious thunderstorm blew through and knocked out power at VIR today). This meant i couldn't top up before the final (90 minute) session. so i had a 30 min + 60 min session but in reality i only made it to about 45 mins of the final due to fuel cuts around turn 1-2. happened twice. didn't fancy a third.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    131.5 KB · Views: 24
  • logs-vir-chin.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
To follow up the original post - here was a separate thread made specifically to figuring out just what was going on with the original Golf R in question with crazy high IATs:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...a-golf-r-55f-over-ambient-with-apr-ic.426885/

Added better visualizations at the tail end of the report. Broken down by tuned/stock tune, IS20/IS38, and AM IC/Stock IC:

1688666367150.png

I need some good data from some IS38 stock tune + stock IC cars, and some tuned IS20 + stock IC cars to fill it out some, but you can definitely see a general trend which probably doesn't surprise anyone: IS38 = more heat overall. Aftermarket IC = lower IATs but higher ECT, and tuned = more heat overall as well.

Also added a general table with a quick overview of all the data samples at a glance:

1688666624909.png

ironicbadger

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 MK7.5 R EQT Stg1
To follow up the original post - here was a separate thread made specifically to figuring out just what was going on with the original Golf R in question with crazy high IATs:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...a-golf-r-55f-over-ambient-with-apr-ic.426885/

Added better visualizations at the tail end of the report. Broken down by tuned/stock tune, IS20/IS38, and AM IC/Stock IC:

View attachment 285413
I need some good data from some IS38 stock tune + stock IC cars, and some tuned IS20 + stock IC cars to fill it out some, but you can definitely see a general trend which probably doesn't surprise anyone: IS38 = more heat overall. Aftermarket IC = lower IATs but higher ECT, and tuned = more heat overall as well.

Also added a general table with a quick overview of all the data samples at a glance:

View attachment 285414

I could run stock tune on July 20th at VIR if it'd help.