GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Track TEMP DATA: IC and radiator combo data collection - ALL YOUR LOGS ARE BELONG TO US!

SierraCarrera

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Sport, 981 CS
Thank you!! Ordered a A0 dongle and downloaded Simos since I have Android, should have some track data in a few weeks.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
people are logging with obd11 on track? i can't imagine sitting there in grid hoping it pairs in time to get all of the params added in to log at 4hz.
100% man, no fucking way I'd bother. It's such a PITA.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Thank you!! Ordered a A0 dongle and downloaded Simos since I have Android, should have some track data in a few weeks.

Awesome! Shoot me a PM when it arrives and I'll help you get set up with logging if needed.

I'm also working on slightly reworking the data model in the background - Won't really be changing how the individual "cards" of data for each vehicle sample appear... but trying to make it so it's possible to make quick comparisons between samples, or manage different filters for drawing overall conclusions better.

SierraCarrera

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Sport, 981 CS
Awesome! Shoot me a PM when it arrives and I'll help you get set up with logging if needed.

I'm also working on slightly reworking the data model in the background - Won't really be changing how the individual "cards" of data for each vehicle sample appear... but trying to make it so it's possible to make quick comparisons between samples, or manage different filters for drawing overall conclusions better.
Welp it arrived today (way sooner than expected!), wasn't initially showing up on my bluetooth so went through Arduino IDE and got that flipped on and it's now showing up but it won't connect to Simos. Looks like I might have to flash it with new firmware

Last edited:

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Welp it arrived today (way sooner than expected!), wasn't initially showing up on my bluetooth so went through Arduino IDE and got that flipped on and it's now showing up but it won't connect to Simos. Looks like I might have to flash it with new firmware

Make sure you permitted location services when you installed Simos Tools.

Otherwise this is a good thread to reference for general info:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/ecu-logging-capability.420890/

SierraCarrera

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Sport, 981 CS

SierraCarrera

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Sport, 981 CS
Make sure you permitted location services when you installed Simos Tools.

Otherwise this is a good thread to reference for general info:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/ecu-logging-capability.420890/
Got it working, where can I get one of those sweet, sweet CSVs?

1692737713295.png

SierraCarrera

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Sport, 981 CS

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Got it all working, went for a quick drive around the block - https://datazap.me/u/sierracarrera/test?log=0&data=1-2-3-5-7-14 Will have some data from Mid-Ohio to share after Labor Day, hopefully this heat wave dies off by then....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A_Jkvcih97weNskYWfeCjBikq_Le7o7e/view?usp=sharing

Try downloading that CSV and logging it with it. Will log the MDI oil temp on the dash (which is accurate, vs the default modeled oil temp) plus the coolant outlet temp which I'm also trying to gather data on now.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Finally got around to adding @tigeo 's log that he sent last week from Dominion Raceway, and @Redslaya 's from Palmer.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17OmZvC_tlsmpFnLV45jxSy9Ocyry3ZaX/view?usp=sharing

tigeo's IS38 wagon:
1693452524441.png

redslaya's S1 Golf R with the newly added oil cooler duct (HUGE improvements vs his samples without the duct):
1693452587782.png

Something interesting I noticed when auditing the logs between these two cars (since I gave them coolant outlet temp to monitor) is the difference in ECT vs coolant outlet...
Tigeo's car with stock radiator and no aux coolers: 9.48 deg drop in temp avg
1693453026474.png

Redslaya's car with CSF radiator + aux oil radiator + aux DSG radiator: 7.2 deg drop in temp avg
1693453153851.png

And just for the hell of it, my car (IS20 GTI) at VIR back in July when it was stupid hot: 8.1 deg drop in temp avg
1693453408183.png

The coolant outlet should be a pretty decent indicator of how well the radiator is cooling. Higher delta between ECT and coolant outlet, the more effective the radiator is. I'm not super concerned about the min and max as there can be a slight lag that could register and be negligible, but once all is up to temp and going, the average over a session should be able to be high enough that you're not getting stupid hot. Not so sure what to make of all of this quite yet, but will be monitoring in the future. I'm still skeptical of the CSF radiator being a worthwhile upgrade (especially if you divorce the oil from the coolant and run a ducted oil cooler), but at first glance this seems to indicate it's really not any better than stock. The added capacity should make it take longer to be heat soaked - but that could also be the difference of like 30 to 45 seconds based on how fast these things get up to temp when pulling out on track.

Things that need factored in before making a final judgement:
  • Redslaya's aux coolers are taking additional heat from the trans and engine oil whereas mine and tigeo's are not
  • Tigeo's temps are higher overall - so higher coolant temp will result in a better delta-T across the radiator so naturally it'll drop temps more
My skepticism of the radiator comes from being a 3-core, which takes 64x more pressure (yes that is not a typo) to move the same volume of coolant vs a single pass radiator. Since we can't install a high flow water pump to overcome this restriction, I imagine there are diminishing returns. This means that while coolant may hang out in the radiator and drop more temp (in theory... see results above that does not seem to be the case), it also means coolant in the block absorbs more heat because flow has dropped. As with everything there is no free lunch.

For reference: if cooling flow is NOT needed, the radiator outlet will see temps as low as 100F below the engine operating temp under normal driving conditions. These cars have the ability to keep coolant from circulating at all to promote faster warmup and hit emissions targets. So if in theory Redslaya's car had "more than enough" cooling capacity, it SHOULD show up in the form of lower coolant outlet temps I would think. This is what is observed just driving around like normal.

Just some food for thought, and something I'd like to continue monitoring when possible.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Nice. My car definatley was running on the warm side....DSG temps crept up to around 270 at one point but no warnings or degraded performance. My laps times were consistent all day. Max oil temps that day with ambients near 90 was 280 and in one log the coolant hit 244 I believe....gauge never moved from it's dummy 194 position; I do run a leaner coolant mixture as well with VP Cool Down. IATs are a bit higher than I would have thought but 28 delta on average and staying consistent seems to be fine; I had some minor KR here and there running ~E20...I probably could have dosed in a bit more E and gotten rid of most of it and gotten a bit more advance out by the redline/slightly more speed on the straight. I got a PB lap that day (1:40) so was trying to push those Acceleras as much as possible :ROFLMAO: . Also...no smoke that anyone mentioned and zero oil loss so that revised "BL" PCV continues to work.

SierraCarrera

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Sport, 981 CS

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Data added for @reverend_sean and @SierraCarrera !

Full report here: https://www.datadrivenmqb.com/drivetrain/coolingdata

Reverend_sean - our second FMIC sample for reference
1694469963399.png

SierraCarrera:
1694470040425.png

And while this isn't in the published report, I've got some other pages that are interactive to use for toggling different filters and highlighting different samples, but here's a screenshot of everything from coolest to hottest (using ECT max temps seen):

1694470254187.png

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Data added for @reverend_sean and @SierraCarrera !
Full report here: https://www.datadrivenmqb.com/drivetrain/coolingdata

Reverend_sean - our second FMIC sample for reference
View attachment 290405

SierraCarrera:
View attachment 290406

And while this isn't in the published report, I've got some other pages that are interactive to use for toggling different filters and highlighting different samples, but here's a screenshot of everything from coolest to hottest (using ECT max temps seen):

View attachment 290407
Cool nearly won it! 🤣🤣🤣