GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TPC20 vs 38

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Looking to the internet for advice. Blew my dbv2 and instead of going back to the is38 I’m considering one of these two options. I wanted a vortex but they are 3 months out and while technically I could go that long without my car I don’t want to.

My first concern is reliability, I know a few members are running the 20 like jimlloyd for many miles with no issues but I’ve also seen some failures from members like Navi.

My second concern is drivability. My v2 may have been bad from the start and that’s why it felt so lazy, making 27-28 psi at 4500. I’m not looking to build my motor or further upgrade my fueling beyond 450/pm4/980cc. I am going to run both a 93 octane tune and also full e85 where available. I am currently on stock map/put sensors but am willing to upgrade when and if I need to. I want something with decent power around 3k to redline without having to rev to 7k+.

Right now I’m leaning more toward to 20 for drivability but am open to the 38. Appreciate any input you guys have.

wrongwheeldrive23

Go Kart Champion
3 months?Is that from EQTS website?? Just curious, I ordered one last week from BMP tuning. They emailed saying 3 to 4 weeks eta on the turbo

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Looking to the internet for advice. Blew my dbv2 and instead of going back to the is38 I’m considering one of these two options. I wanted a vortex but they are 3 months out and while technically I could go that long without my car I don’t want to.

My first concern is reliability, I know a few members are running the 20 like jimlloyd for many miles with no issues but I’ve also seen some failures from members like Navi.

My second concern is drivability. My v2 may have been bad from the start and that’s why it felt so lazy, making 27-28 psi at 4500. I’m not looking to build my motor or further upgrade my fueling beyond 450/pm4/980cc. I am going to run both a 93 octane tune and also full e85 where available. I am currently on stock map/put sensors but am willing to upgrade when and if I need to. I want something with decent power around 3k to redline without having to rev to 7k+.

Right now I’m leaning more toward to 20 for drivability but am open to the 38. Appreciate any input you guys have.
I've seen 2 people in the forum using the TPC 38. Can't remember who but one was doing real well with it and the other one was not getting as good of HP and torque as I am on the 20. I will say that I have a DSG and it shifts at 7200 RPM and it's still pulling. With what you're going to do I would guess that you would end up with around 460 HP if you went with the 20. I would also highly recommend the 4" Trackslag DP. That DP made my 20 spool almost 500 RPM sooner. Or I would wait for the Vortex.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
3 months?Is that from EQTS website?? Just curious, I ordered one last week from BMP tuning. They emailed saying 3 to 4 weeks eta on the turbo
That’s from Ed himself. The day my v2 went I called asking if the website was true. Also found out through tpc that they’re 3 weeks out. I technically could but I don’t want to be without a car for that long. Back to the is38 for now and I’ll research options further. Never got around to tuning on ethanol so maybe that power bump will keep me entertained for a while.

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
I would also highly recommend the 4" Trackslag DP. That DP made my 20 spool almost 500 RPM sooner. Or I would wait for the Vortex.
I hope you're right about that trackslag DP, mine will be here next Mon... I'm at altitude so for me anyways, the tpc20 stg 2 turbo kinda sucks.. thankfully for me, this time of year I prefer riding my bike to driving anyways but if the trackslag doesn't significantly improve spool I will be looking to swap this turbo out for a vortex or maybe a rx500 turbo..

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
That’s from Ed himself. The day my v2 went I called asking if the website was true. Also found out through tpc that they’re 3 weeks out. I technically could but I don’t want to be without a car for that long. Back to the is38 for now and I’ll research options further. Never got around to tuning on ethanol so maybe that power bump will keep me entertained for a while.
I'm a little biased but I would stick w/your IS38 until you can get a vortex over the tpc anything.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I hope you're right about that trackslag DP, mine will be here next Mon... I'm at altitude so for me anyways, the tpc20 stg 2 turbo kinda sucks.. thankfully for me, this time of year I prefer riding my bike to driving anyways but if the trackslag doesn't significantly improve spool I will be looking to swap this turbo out for a vortex or maybe a rx500 turbo..
It improved mine and @El_bigote_AJ also. Who tuned yours?

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Hmm, I hope I get gains like that... I'll be coming from a 3" catless to the 4 now...
Since you are at altitude to I’m very curious how improved your spool ends up being. I’m on IE catted and I hit peak boost on my standard around 3300-3400 (about same as guys with xl’s at sea level) Toyed with swapping out for the Trackslag but I’m also kind of tired of adding more shit to my car at this point

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Car(s)
MQB A3
I've seen 2 people in the forum using the TPC 38. Can't remember who but one was doing real well with it and the other one was not getting as good of HP and torque as I am on the 20. I will say that I have a DSG and it shifts at 7200 RPM and it's still pulling. With what you're going to do I would guess that you would end up with around 460 HP if you went with the 20. I would also highly recommend the 4" Trackslag DP. That DP made my 20 spool almost 500 RPM sooner. Or I would wait for the Vortex.
I feel like our experience with the TPC20 is meaningless for any potential new buyer, as we're both on the V1 TPC20, and the new V2 is a DBB offering. It's effectively entirely different than what we have, and uses a completely different CHRA.

New DBB TPC20