GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Top Gear USA

zee

Go Kart Champion
I love Top Gear USA. Season 1 was a bit brutal, season 2 was much better and I'm sure season three will be great too.
I think it is a good show and glad to have a car entertainment show on TV that I can watch with my wife.
I watch Top Gear UK with her too but she finds the seasons with the black stig pretty boring, I 'dont blame her:laugh:

Rutledge posts on TCL and has given insight to the new season...there are supposed to be more challenges:happyanim:.

edit: I find the car show more boring than Top Gear USA

Last edited:

hpowders

Ready to race!
agreed. Is it gone for good or? and they canned John Salley very quickly too. I actually thought he wasn't that bad.

Carolla is essentially a rich dude who only sorta knows how to drive, so that explains that moment for him, lol.

Well - its a copy, and a poor one at that. They even have done many of the same challenges, so for an original Top Gear UK watcher , its kinda "meh" at times. If it wasn't for Tanner Foust, I probably wouldn't watch it at all, as the other two guys really do nothing for me.

I didnt' like him at first because he was so damn cocky, but he's grown on me.

There was a poll done on the most credible car reviewers and Dan Neil came in first. Don't remember whose poll it was. He did a review on the Mark 5 Rabbit (which I owned) and his findings were totally in sync with mine-mainly very positive. As far as I know, Dan Neil has never reviewed the Mark 5 or Mark 6 GTI. A shame.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
There was a poll done on the most credible car reviewers and Dan Neil came in first. Don't remember whose poll it was. He did a review on the Mark 5 Rabbit (which I owned) and his findings were totally in sync with mine-mainly very positive. As far as I know, Dan Neil has never reviewed the Mark 5 or Mark 6 GTI. A shame.

He is pretty spot on with stuff, although he's not that great of a driver. I think a lot of his creditibility comes from his comparisons on price point and build quality to other similar cars- sounds easy, but not a lot of reviewers do this as much as they should.

Have to also keep in mind, that he is very popular because he writes for WSJ - that definitely helps him out, lol.

Agreed, I'd love to see him review a GTI some day.

Mr.Alex

I Got That 6.
agreed. Is it gone for good or? and they canned John Salley very quickly too. I actually thought he wasn't that bad.

Carolla is essentially a rich dude who only sorta knows how to drive, so that explains that moment for him, lol.

Well - its a copy, and a poor one at that. They even have done many of the same challenges, so for an original Top Gear UK watcher , its kinda "meh" at times. If it wasn't for Tanner Foust, I probably wouldn't watch it at all, as the other two guys really do nothing for me.

I didnt' like him at first because he was so damn cocky, but he's grown on me.

Yea the Car Show was officially canceled, so no more.

And I think a main mistake was calling the show "Top Gear," especially when its a show which has year and years of improvements. It kind of set them up to fail. Although other countries followed the Top Gear route, they should have tried to create their own thing, not another copy. Regardless, still a fan.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I feel like the "original" top gear has been slipping in the past few seasons, Jeremy is getting old and fat. And most of the "breakdowns" and "interactions" are terribly staged looking. Its no longer funny because you clearly see that its fake.

(And I have watched every single episode of top gear U.K)

hpowders

Ready to race!
He is pretty spot on with stuff, although he's not that great of a driver. I think a lot of his creditibility comes from his comparisons on price point and build quality to other similar cars- sounds easy, but not a lot of reviewers do this as much as they should.

Have to also keep in mind, that he is very popular because he writes for WSJ - that definitely helps him out, lol.

Agreed, I'd love to see him review a GTI some day.

He used to review for the LA Times and it was nice to get his car reviews online for free. He's the only reviewer who was totally in synch with my views of my own car-a Mark 5 Rabbit. I've had many cars and Dan Neil was the only reviewer who was absolutely spot on for any of them. His only "problem" is a predilection for reviewing $150,000-$200,000 machines I can't relate to.

UKGTI1

Ready to race!
I feel like the "original" top gear has been slipping in the past few seasons, Jeremy is getting old and fat. And most of the "breakdowns" and "interactions" are terribly staged looking. Its no longer funny because you clearly see that its fake.

(And I have watched every single episode of top gear U.K)

Very bold statement. I just watched the first two episodes of the new UK Top Gear season and they were brilliant. The second one was dedicated entirely to NASCAR and it was just really entertaining to watch and very informative, at least for me who has no idea about NASCAR.

The Car Show was WAY better than US Top Gear. I can't believe they dropped it. The writing was on the wall when it went to 30 mins.

I don't get the love for Tanner. He has zero personality and the whole "drifting" thing just gets a bit old after a while. I get it - he can drift!!!!! Move on.

Mr.Alex

I Got That 6.
I think Tanner is really the only one worthy and worth while on the US cast, its not just his "drifting" thing, its that he is a genuine enthusiast who actually knows how to drive. Ferrara always picks the biggest oldest American car while having the corniest and most anticipated humor, and Rutledge...is hard to grow accustomed to, but he is kinda growing on me.

surrealchemist

Ready to race!
Rutledge was the worst in the first season, but then they fixed my biggest complaint about the guy: his hair.

crashdb

Go Kart Champion
Very bold statement. I just watched the first two episodes of the new UK Top Gear season and they were brilliant. The second one was dedicated entirely to NASCAR and it was just really entertaining to watch and very informative, at least for me who has no idea about NASCAR.

The Car Show was WAY better than US Top Gear. I can't believe they dropped it. The writing was on the wall when it went to 30 mins.

I don't get the love for Tanner. He has zero personality and the whole "drifting" thing just gets a bit old after a while. I get it - he can drift!!!!! Move on.

He does more than drift. Have you seem him rally? He's extremely good at it. If this show hadn't come up I think he would be overseas doing a much better job than Block did. I was at a rally cross last year and talked to a former Group B driver and even he agreed that Tanner Foust had a ton of skill.

I was watching TV with my girlfriend one night and we turned on Top Gear US and she actually loved it. I nearly fainted. She has zero interest in cars, but will actually sit down and watch the show with me. It sure beats having to watch some of the complete garbage she watches.

You HAVE to like Rutledge! His first car was an 81 Rabbit P/U diesel!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

I'm with the others on this one.. you have no idea about his skills. Boy can drive and not just drifting either.

crashdb

Go Kart Champion
You guys suck! I'm still stuck at work and will probably have to watch this online at some other time. This is why I try not to get hooked on any TV shows.