GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Top 10 Mk7 Mods

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Put it in gear with your foot on the brake hard and rev the engine a little bit while someone observes the engine movement. Or visually if the mounts are real bad.
Did this test when My stocks were behaving horribly... I really doubt the noise and movement was normal but VIA a bfi rep “that’s normal and you misdiagnosed bad or worn motor mounts” lol

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
How come intercooler is always so high on the list. Do you really need a new intercooler for Stg1? Heck, it wasn't even a recommendation at Stg2 on the mk6, only stg3 or K04 level. How bad is the stock intercooler?? Sure, I supposed if you live in Texas/Florida, areas crazy in heat, it makes sense but that's limited to those regions or folks. Are you saying someone who lives in various climates should upgrade it also for just stg1?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
How come intercooler is always so high on the list. Do you really need a new intercooler for Stg1? Heck, it wasn't even a recommendation at Stg2 on the mk6, only stg3 or K04 level. How bad is the stock intercooler?? Sure, I supposed if you live in Texas/Florida, areas crazy in heat, it makes sense but that's limited to those regions or folks. Are you saying someone who lives in various climates should upgrade it also for just stg1?

Data log and see for yourself. If it’s 70*F and you have a stock intercooler with any power level greater than stock, IAT is generally high enough to pull timing.

120* F is where timing pull starts, and it’s not rare to see 150* IAT on a stage 1 tune with the OEM intercooler.

You can throw all the money you want at other things, but the intercooler is the ONLY thing that can really make or break the real world performance & consistency of a Mk7.

For what it’s worth, I’ve owned three Mk6 as well. An intercooler upgrade was massively important on them too.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Did this test when My stocks were behaving horribly... I really doubt the noise and movement was normal but VIA a bfi rep “that’s normal and you misdiagnosed bad or worn motor mounts” lol

Holy crap. Those mounts were shot.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Data log and see for yourself. If it’s 70*F and you have a stock intercooler with any power level greater than stock, IAT is generally high enough to pull timing.

120* F is where timing pull starts, and it’s not rare to see 150* IAT on a stage 1 tune with the OEM intercooler.

You can throw all the money you want at other things, but the intercooler is the ONLY thing that can really make or break the real world performance & consistency of a Mk7.

For what it’s worth, I’ve owned three Mk6 as well. An intercooler upgrade was massively important on them too.

Thanks for that. I know of course you're going to get better performance in general and you could rule out the intercooler as being a bottleneck in your performance once you had one. I just didn't realize how important it was over stock for even Stg1 levels.

Everything you said makes sense, but again, I guess my thoughts were just how high of importance it was at an early stage of modding the car.

Looks like I might just be saving up for an intercooler soon! lol. Hoping to go Stg1 next month...

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Plus maybe exhaust.

No need for stage 1.

There’s still gains to be had, I actually ran my full TBE for about 30k miles while still on APR stage 1 since I was trying to get a decent life span out of my OEM clutch (which was still in great condition at 49k when I decided it was time to upgrade).

The gains from a exhaust are directly correlated with how much power you’re already making. More power you make, the bigger difference a full 3” system will make.